Notary Rotary
This one bothered me.
Notary Discussion History

This one bothered me.
Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by Budman on 12/12/12 4:39pm
Msg #446331

This one bothered me.

I did a signing for a young unmarried couple today. They were going to have their baby adopted and the man was signing a document prepaired by and attorney waiving his rights.

I realize that we are supposed to honor any legal request for notarization, but I was bothered and can't understand why anyone would do this.

I have always honored my commitments and having a baby is a lifetime commitment. My mother once said " you never stop worrying about your kids. they can be 50 years old and you still worry about them." I know I still worry about mine and they are both in their 40s

Maybe the baby will be better off with an adopted family.

It's too bad that these kids let their hormones rule their lives without considering the consequences. At my age I can only wish I still had hormones to rule me.

Reply by Wendy/OH on 12/12/12 4:42pm
Msg #446332

Wow I understand how you feel. Times like that it is hard to not let your emotions get to you.
Hope and pray that the baby is better off and that they can live with the decision. As notaries
we see alot of difficult situations.

Reply by Yowheelz on 12/12/12 5:25pm
Msg #446340

As the parent of 2 adopted children

Yes it is sad and the biological parents may forever wonder what became of their child but if they truly cannot provide than the child is better off in an adoption situation. I am pro life, better adoption than some of the alternatives.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 12/13/12 12:24am
Msg #446367

Another adoptive parent here

parenthood can occur accidentally. But GOOD parenthood can not. Not everyone can do it right. Every kid deserves GOOD parents.

My two kiddos are adopted. (one from here in the USA, and one from Ethiopia).

The only jobs I turn down on moral grounds are those that ask me to come to the county lockup to notarize marriage licenses.. (we have a three-day wait here before the ceremony occurs. If the signer is incarcerated on Thursday but plans to be out in time for a ceremony on Sunday.... they'll have to sign in the jail on Thursday).

I always politely recommend the courthouse notary who will walk next door for that sort of thing at no additional fee, but really, I just won't do it. I consider it my "You'll thank me later" policy.

Reply by jba/fl on 12/13/12 7:53am
Msg #446377

"You'll thank me later" policy.

Which is why I don't do weddings.

Sorry for the hijack.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 12/13/12 9:28am
Msg #446390

I only have the option of licenses. No weddings here

I'd have to become an officiant (more than I want to bother with). I can do domestic partnerships, so had a few gay friends over the year ask me to 'hitch 'em" but now we have legal gay marriage and I don't get to do that anymore--just the wedding licenses.

I get four or five marriage license requests a year that aren't at the jail. Typically, people who forgot about the requirements and want me to sign the license in the middle of the night.

I get the call to go to the jail (I live under a mile from county lockup) about once per month, and I've managed to get out of it every time. Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.