Notary Rotary
UPS Sucks!
Notary Discussion History

UPS Sucks!
Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by reba on 12/13/12 10:07am
Msg #446394

UPS Sucks!

Last night I stopped at a UPS Store that was convenient. Being that it was 6:45P and in this area the UPS last pick-ups are usually at 7P, I thought all would be great. I have a bunch of UPS envelopes at home and sometimes keep a few in the car, but I did not have any on hand, and usually UPS will provide one at the store. I had my docs, and shipping label in hand, and requested a letter envelope to put them in--the guy at the desk said "that will be $1". I was a little thrown aback because I had never been asked to pay for a UPS envelope. I asked the guy if he was serious and he said it was the policy at this UPS store. Being that I would not have time to drive over to the next UPS spot, is was going to eat the $1 so I asked for the pouch to put the shipping label in, and he said that would be another $1! Now I am pissed! Really? So I then asked him for tape, to tape the label to the envelope and he told me that you cannot tape the label to the envelope! I asked if these "charges" could get charged to the (pre-paid) account on the label and he told me no. Now I feel steam coming from my eyeballs...but its late and I really wanted to get these docs out.. I paid the stupid $2, he gave me a receipt that stated "Service Charge". What a robbery! And what really bothered me is that if this UPS store tried this in any other neighborhood, these extra "charges" would not be stood for or accepted as normal. I felt this management was taking advantage of this (lower income) community by enforcing these stupid charges. So I called the UPS 800 number (once I knew my package was on its way) and explained to them what happened. As much as they understood my anger, they explained to me that the"UPS Store" is a franchise and the are allowed to charge as they please. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I understand the whole freedom of franchise, but then are you saying that if a UPS store wants to charge $3/ envelope, they can? It is unfortunate that UPS tolerates this type of nonsense from stores that bear their name. I ate the $2, but will never go to that UPS store again.--Just venting..

Reply by bagger on 12/13/12 10:19am
Msg #446396

Had the same thing about 2 years ago.

Now, I drive 3 miles out of my way toavoid that store.
He has lost TONS of commissions because he charged me a buck.
Those stores do get a healthy commission on each package they handle. Not a good business deciscion on that guys part now was it?

Reply by CentralNY on 12/13/12 10:38am
Msg #446398

They are really cheap with supplies

but i must have gotten a new kid recently and he gave mat our store e a bunch of pacs and plastic inserts; didn't know any better. i don't want an account with them anymore for supplies as i have had incorrect charge backs on my account and have to fight like the devil to get them off.

Reply by ToniK on 12/13/12 12:54pm
Msg #446407

Re: They are really cheap with supplies

Thats is one reason why I wont even get a UPS account. I had one SS tell me I should get one to order supplies...Uh NO THANKS!!! I'm perfectly fine with driving to a HUB once a month to stock up (even though they look at me funny when I say I need about 50 envelopes, one gal told me "thats too many"), I'll even raid the 6 drop boxes in my area.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/13/12 11:04am
Msg #446401

UPS = Ultimate Pissy SOBs n/m

Reply by A S Johnson on 12/13/12 12:53pm
Msg #446405

Re: UPS = Ultimate Pissy SOBs

a phone number you can call 404-828-4300 the UPS National complainr hot line. This is in the CEO office of UPS. Ihave called it in years but it's worth a try.
The UPS Store is a Arthorized UPS Shipping Outlet and they have a contract the requires the to provided UPS branded packaging at NO CHARGE. Beging a ASO the are required to accept pre printed drop off labels at NO CHARGE.

But you must understand, New York state is expensives to live in, they are trying tomake a profit.

I have trobles getting FedEx supplies because I don't want an account with them.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 12/13/12 12:57pm
Msg #446409

Re: UPS = Ultimate Pissy SOBs

I have 2 places in our small town that I can drop UPS pkgs. BOTH of them charge me $1. I called UPS to complain and was told the same thing. They are the franchisee and can chg whatever they want. The problem lies with THEM NOT generating the label. That is how they make their money. The one place in town quit charging me because I buy a lot at his store and its his way of thanking me. However, that store is charged $1 from UPS because, like I said, the label was not generated there. Ordering supplies from UPS is a major pita for me also. I had an acct, but they closed it due to inactivity. But, they wouldn't send supplies out without an acct. So, I had to open another acct and they sent them. I told her on the phone that this new acct would be closed by them also due to inactivity. She just didn't get it.

Reply by James Morgan on 12/13/12 1:33pm
Msg #446418

You couldn't be more correct. I cancelled my UPS account years ago, but kept the supplies I had because a couple of TC's use them. I think I sent all of 3 last year.
An interesting note though, I stopped by a Postal Annex to drop off a Fedex envelope, labeled with docs sealed inside, ready to go. The lady told me it was $1 to drop off the package! What if I don't want a receipt? Her answer, still $1. I couldn't believe it. Wants $1 to hand her a package. So I left with the package as I would have more to drop off at the end of my day. During my wanderings, I saw another Fedex sign in front of a small office supply store and it was the same - $1 to hand her a package. Ended up dropping all of my packages later on at a Kinko's/Fedex.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Fedex and have had an account with them for years. Order supplies and have them in 3 days. I think they are getting hit by the economy too as they have eliminated and moved a huge amount of their drop boxes.
But Fedex for me is the only way to go.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 12/13/12 7:25pm
Msg #446457

You have to understand with the "we ship it all" stores

That in many cases the volume that they ship either UPS or FDX isn't that much and in some instances UPS or FDX may charge that ship-it-all store to pick up the package. The $1 they are charging you may be just enough to cover that charge!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.