Notary Rotary
UPS guy tells me
Notary Discussion History

UPS guy tells me
Go Back to December, 2012 Index

Posted by ToniK on 12/7/12 6:38pm
Msg #445836

UPS guy tells me

I pull up to the drop box at 723pm just as the UPS truck pulls up. I say "you're early!!!" He says "you're luckily I'm late" ok the drop box says 745pm pick up time. UPS guy says no it's a misprint. This is a 7pm pick up box. UGH REALLY? Well now I have no reason to drop after 7 now.

Reply by anotaryinva on 12/7/12 6:51pm
Msg #445837

Or at all on a FRi n/m

Reply by MikeC/TX on 12/7/12 6:54pm
Msg #445839

I've always considered those listed pick up times as a suggestion. If the driver is running late, the pick up will be later; if he's running early, he's probably not going to hang around and wait until the posted pick up time.

And then there are the drivers who are running so late that they never even bother with
the box at all...

Reply by Deborah Breedlove on 12/7/12 7:24pm
Msg #445844

Many times, I've seen our UPS driver waiting in his truck for the posted pick up time on the box. He doesn't pick up early, and he told me that would be a violation of the UPS rules. So, they're not all bad.

On the other hand, the guys at UPS Store say their Saturday pickup is at 2:00, but it could be anytime between 12:00 and 3:00.

Ummm, ok. Why don't you just say 12:00, since I can't depend on it being 2:00.

Reply by ToniK on 12/7/12 9:58pm
Msg #445868

Ugh I hate UPS store employees. I called one on Black Friday cuz the title stressed it needed to go out that day for Saturday delivery. I called ahead to see if it would be picked up. The girl on the phone said last pick up was at 545. So I get there at 5pm and the manager said they had already picked up at 1 that day. Wth??? I was mad I was even told they hadn't picked up. Then the manager asked who I spoke to and I said a female who answered the phone just 15 mins ago. There was only two ppl there and the girl acted like she didn't answer the phone.

Reply by ShipTropolis on 12/7/12 7:20pm
Msg #445842

Ask the Title or Escrow company to sign-up with ShipTropolis.com so you can print UPS and Fedex labels on demand on their account.

1. ShipTropolis.com is secure for the title/escrow company.
2. It's easy for notaries to quickly create labels on demand.
3. It ensures the notary doesn't get wrongfully stuck with the shipping cost.

Disclaimer: I work for ShipTropolis

Cheers,
Bob

Reply by LKT/CA on 12/7/12 7:31pm
Msg #445851

Bob, the issue isn't airbills....

the issue is the DRIVERS picking up the packages according to the drop box schedule.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/7/12 8:40pm
Msg #445864

Bob @ ST

Why would a person not just create a shipment on FEDEX.com or UPS.com?

I don't see how your site (that you are not supposed to plug here) can make it better.

Reply by MW/VA on 12/7/12 9:35pm
Msg #445865

Call UPS & report it. It's their problem & they need to

fix it.

Reply by HisHughness on 12/7/12 10:51pm
Msg #445871

UPS = Utterly Preposterous Service n/m

Reply by pdl/cali on 12/7/12 10:56pm
Msg #445872

Re: UPS = Utterly Preposterous Service

They are stingy with their envelopes/packages, and rude. It seems as if its a bother to answer a question. I prefer FedEx.

Reply by Budman on 12/7/12 11:01pm
Msg #445874

I dropped at a drop box once ( UPS ) that had cobwebs all over it. I checked later and the package was delivered on time. Another time at the same drop box, the package was delivered a day late.

Reply by rolomia on 12/8/12 4:46am
Msg #445886

If UPS & FedEx mess up, our gov't. gives them our tax money.

Reporting drivers who pick up earlier than posted amuses call center agents. Apologies, if given, are usually fake. Unfortunately, both UPS & FedEx have equally laughable service. Incompetence, ignorance, arrogance, conceit, deceit, mockery and greed are their core values. No wonder they get along so well with our gov't. Remember the news reports showing drivers tossing boxes of flat screen TV's over fences as part of their delivery routine?! Those are just the incidences we know about. For every service failure caught on tape, there are 10+ more that aren't.

Of course, until it happens to you, it neither matters &/or you don't believe it. I'd like to believe that they get it right most of the time. Sadly, few alternatives (DHL & U.S.P.S.) guarantee FedEx/UPS shared domination of the package shipping industry. It will probably get worse before it gets better (assuming it ever does). JMHO

Reply by Ray Hartley on 12/8/12 6:07am
Msg #445892

UPS is rapidally marrying AVIS as number 2

Reply by CentralNY on 12/8/12 6:33am
Msg #445897

Hate to rag on our younguns...

but a friend that works in hr at ups in my area said 5 years ago that anyone younger than 25 doesn't want to or doesn't know how to work. she had/has a tough time hiring.

Reply by LKT/CA on 12/8/12 10:51am
Msg #445916

Re: Hate to rag on our younguns...

<<<.....anyone younger than 25 doesn't want to or doesn't know how to work.>>>

Very true!!! It must be in the water....or the air...

Reply by trnsa_IL on 12/8/12 1:53pm
Msg #445927

While the topic of early pickup or non-pickup is certainly an issue to be dealt with, let's be careful not to lump all UPS/FedEx drivers or young'uns into the same apple basket. I have great working relationships with the UPS and FedEx drivers in my office and residential area. Our office UPS driver will drop our orders in the stock room for us instead of leaving them sit in the front office. The office FedEx driver is friendly, courteous and almost always on time. Our residential FedEx driver often stops to discuss the latest apple gear with my oldest techie son.

Now as for younguns, I have 3 of those over 18 and under 25. All three are in college full time; working 30+ hours a week to pay for it; and work extra hours when available or asked to come in to cover for someone else. They all have an excellent work ethic. I do believe that in most instances a work ethic is a learned behavior.

P.S. From experience I learned that the drop boxes in my area were not picked up at all on Christmas Eve last year in an effort to free up as many drivers as possible to be sure Christmas deliveries were made on time.

Reply by BrendaTx on 12/8/12 5:08pm
Msg #445935

Another word on young folks....

I think that they get a bad rap sometimes. My student workers and interns are 18-25. When they have clear boundaries and expectations, they perform well. They can often do a task that I give them in half the time that it takes me once they get the hang of it.

I also have a young fellow who is in his mid 20s and full-time. He does a great job as long as he knows what his exact goals are.

Sometimes, I think that young people need mentors at work to learn what is expected of them because they have not had jobs when they are young like we older folks did.

Our parents were better role models as far as working than some in my generation and younger folks have been. We got home from school, did our chores, our homework, and then we could play. The younger generation has not had that kind of structure...they need lists of what they must do each day, and consequences if they do not do them. I find them to be delightful to supervise and it is very rewarding to see them take flight and begin to take initiative to do things on their own.

Anyhow...every kid that I have supervised has been amazing once we worked out communication. It's those deadwood deadbeats who are riding out their last few years and contributing nothing that make me nuts.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 12/8/12 7:35pm
Msg #445944

UPS used to have interesting hiring practices. When I was in college (more moons ago than I care to admit), one of my buddies decided to apply to UPS for a part-time job. When he got there, sporting a beard, the interviewer handed him a razor and a can of shaving cream and pointed him towards the men's bathroom - they wouldn't even interview him unless he was clean-shaven. He refused and walked out.

The ship is no longer as tightly run...

Reply by droman_IL on 12/8/12 7:53am
Msg #445899

In Chicago, they are often early and I have to scour around the city to find a drop box that still hasn't been picked up. Many times I've had to go to the airport to drop my packages because the UPS stores have early pick-ups and the "late" drop boxes have already been picked up. It's very frustrating. Yesterday I sent a package and was off by a few numbers on the address. Even though there were TWO telephone numbers on the shipping slip, they mail a postcard to the WRONG address to ask for a correct one! I call them to let them have it, ask why they just didn't pick up the phone and CALL, and WHO exactly, did they expect to receive the postcard and provide them a proper address??? UPS = Utterly Profoundly Stupid

Reply by CinOH on 12/8/12 8:27am
Msg #445900

UPS is notorious for picking up drop boxes early. I really don't know why TC and lenders use them. I guess they're cheaper than FedEx but the quality of service is much worse.

Reply by CentralNY on 12/8/12 9:11am
Msg #445903

I had a real good relationship with my

guy but he retired. there is one driver in our biz area that has the owners trained to come out and get their packages. gotta love it. go teamsters

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.