Notary Rotary
2 NSAs
Notary Discussion History

2 NSAs
Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by Claudine Osborne on 11/20/12 1:37pm
Msg #444134

2 NSAs

As I sit and wait for docs..I wanted to share this..for no special reason..I received a call yesterday to go do a closing at a local bank this morning 9 am from a SS. I received docs confirmed and printed last night and went to closing this morning. I always arrive 15 mins early..

About 3/4 through another NSA shows up to do this closing..its 9:25 by now..apparently she was booked before me as this was a reschedule..it was scheduled for yesterday and she had printed already for yesterday. She printed for this morning as well..She stated she got the docs at 8 am this morning..

After the BOs left we had a little chat..Did I feel sorry for her..She was trained by someone in another state to do closings..and her trainer had told her some things that makes me wonder..She has been doing this for 2 yrs now and has been buying her toners from the local stores at 135.00 or more each and she uses only legal paper..even for the bos copies..Her eyes popped wide open when I asked her why?? I could see her doc packages in her hand!

Its none of my business how she runs her business but in my opinion she been wasting money!! She was very nice and sweet and if I can suggest ways to save money or do things a little different that saves time and money and if asked I will suggest alternatives..I did see her confirmation for this morning she was getting paid less than me too..I left her with the hope that she gets paid her full fee for this scheduling mix up!

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/20/12 3:56pm
Msg #444154

Thanks Claudine~ and, your post does have reason . . . I, personally, can always use a poke and you gave me one! I, too, am guilty of using legal paper for both sets of docs (I DO use 300 DPI for printing the BO's copy though)!!! :O)
I guess I do it because I have never taken the time out to be sure if it was JUST the HUD pages that needed to go on legal and the rest not???????

I always appreciate another notary taking the time to make another notaries job easier and cheaper. Just like all do here on Notary/Rotary. Kudos to you for offering your business savvy info to her.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 11/20/12 4:54pm
Msg #444158

"I DO use 300 DPI for printing the BO's copy though"

What DPI setting do you use for the lender's copy? There's no reason to go above 300DPI for text printing (unless you have a cheap printer). The human eye can't detect a difference in anything finer than that.

Reply by James Morgan on 11/20/12 5:07pm
Msg #444161

I agree, Mike. I never use over 300dpi for any docs I print. Maybe someone rich can use 600 or 1200 dpi if they can afford the toner.

Reply by dgd/CA on 11/20/12 7:04pm
Msg #444183

I'm sorry this happened to you, but pleased you were able

to complete your signing. However; just a couple of thoughts... am I the only one here that questions how it is possible for an NSA to not understand the simplicity of "dual" tray documents; print to size; 2 copies; collate, etc? Or even, what is Page Separator? Is it that this is a true newbie that cannot afford, as yet, to implement that which the majority of us deem "second nature and vital" to our required performance in our field? For whatever reason, after two years as an NSA, this individual has yet to purchase a laser dual tray printer. (BTW, we all know many sites that offer "reconditioned and warrantied" printers at highly reduced prices.) I would have questioned, who was this individuals mentor? While at the end of the day, printing all documents in legal format is acceptable to all Lenders and TCs, it is truly a last resort. In my mind, I would have thought "...what's really going on here?"

Further, I would have felt great sympathy and embarrassment for her. I would never have demeaned her, or degraded myself, by discussing her with a signer (buyer/seller). I would have simply have smiled, perhaps raised my brow, and moved forward in a positive manner.

Additionally, I wonder <<<why>>> this individual printed twice, showed up once, and obviously Never contacted the signers (mayhaps, she may have been following a SC instructions which, according to constant, constant posts on this forum and others, which run contrary to good business practices). JMHO

I have been on this planet 6.5 decades, if anyone on this forum, has Never In Their Lifetime made an error, or been in bad straights, and chooses to remark to me contrary to my opinion, please feel free to so so.

Claudine, based upon your many recent posts, I have come to regard you, I simply must state that here, we differ...

I wish you every continued success...

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/20/12 7:30pm
Msg #444192

Re: I'm sorry this happened to you, but pleased you were able

Donna~ if her computer is anything like mine, I have not been able to get the computer to recognize dual trays on my printer. So either I have to print everything legal size or I have to go through the package page by page determining which ones are for which tray. I gave up a long time ago after following instructions from posts on Not/Rot. I am aware of Page Separator but not ready to purchase at this time.

Reply by dgd/CA on 11/20/12 7:44pm
Msg #444196

Karla... have you gone into the properties of your

printer settings (control panel, printers; right click on your indicated hardware)? If so, you should be able to see "device settings." This is where you will be able to actually allow your printer to recognize it's various capabilities, click on every tray you "think" is correct... if that doesn't work (once you institute a sample print) ... click on trays that start after 1. lmbo... just click on everything until it works. If that fails, go to your printers website and download the most recent driver update.

Good luck...

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/20/12 7:18pm
Msg #444188

Thanks Mike & James - will now be strictly 300 DPI!!! n/m

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 11/21/12 8:58am
Msg #444246

Re: Thanks Mike & James - will now be strictly 300 DPI!!!

I have to add..When signing with the BOs and this NSA appeared..I was very nice and asked her to wait a few mins as we were almost done..I could tell she was rushed and after the BOs left we talked..She had called the BO and confirmed with them..the BOs didnt say anything to me..I had a lot of sympathy for her as I have been in her situation..

As we started talking I could tell that she really needed some guidance..I tried in the little bit of time to assist her as she was asking me questions..and writing things down She does have a dual tray printer same as myself actually..But she didnt seem to grasp the fact that you can print according to PDF..I had other appointments and I had to leave..But I did suggest she call me and meet for coffee..She has my business card..its up to her now..

I was in the same situation as her a few years ago and if it wasnt for some great mentors and this wonderful board I would not be able to do what I do today..So I offer my assistance and its up to the individual to take the next step..I am humble as I know our situations can always change in a heartbeat and I am greatful everyday for the wonderful opportunities that come by way..But I also work hard and listen and offer help when ever I can!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.