Notary Rotary
Advanced Notary Signing Agent Training Course Now Available
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by Harry [NR] on 11/4/12 1:07am
Msg #442080

We just received our first shipment of Notary Learning Center's Signing Agent training manuals. They're available now in our store under the Training and Education category. The prices are:

$95 - Normal Price
$75 - Premier Members

The manual is extremely comprehensive and well-organized. Containing about 4 pounds of duplexed material, along with a companion CD, there's not much it doesn't cover. Anyone who is serious about becoming a signing agent should consider this an essential resource.

Harry
Notary Rotary

Reply by ToniK on 11/4/12 2:42am
Msg #442083

Great Harry! I can now replace my TSR with this.

Reply by Buddy Young on 11/4/12 2:23am
Msg #442084

Re: newbees should order n/m

Reply by Michelle/AL on 11/4/12 6:33am
Msg #442086

IDK, Buddy. The title says "Advanced". They gotta crawl b4

the walk, right? : )

Reply by CarolF/NC on 11/4/12 7:35am
Msg #442089

I'd be interested to see reviews. Does this contain any State specific training aids?

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/4/12 8:16am
Msg #442092

"State specific" aids

Carol, what type of specific aids are you looking for?

Reply by CarolF/NC on 11/4/12 8:48am
Msg #442102

Re:@Brenda "State specific" aids

Well your State Notary Handbook is geared toward GNW. So examples of state specific loan signing documents and criteria. For example VA apparent notarizes a Note, where most states do not. How do handle documents that have a place for a parish or township when yours does not. What to do with this form for ID Certification asking you to use your notary stamp as your ID when most dates will not allow. How to handle ID issues as it appears from this forum rules appear slightly different from state to state. What to do in your state when no valid ID exists (state specific rules to satisfy the competent witness rule). How to administer an oath for loan closings in your state. These are just a few recent topics from this board.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 11/4/12 10:31am
Msg #442113

I think it would be best to follow your state manual.

It would be a herculean job to try to include the little nuances for all 50 states.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 11/6/12 10:24am
Msg #442355

Shoshana - I do follow CA notary Law, but this is

a book for Signing Agent Training.
Once we know our state's notary law, this training manual will be a great for Notaries Public that may want to have training on becoming a Signing Agent and it will be a fantastic tool/reference for Notary Signing Agents.

Reply by Dan Frost on 1/14/13 6:25pm
Msg #450407

Re: Shoshana - I do follow CA notary Law, but this is

I Agree, having a training book would be great. Many times I wish I had some kind of reference material to help with questions.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/4/12 11:49am
Msg #442122

@Carol - those are notary law questions

Answers to the questions you ask are readily available. This is a how-to signing agent training manual, not a law book to cover all 50 states' notary laws.

50% of a loan package is straight notary work and answers to questions about that work comes straight out of the notary's manual or laws. The other 50% is what is covered in this training manual. Every one of your questions can be answered by (1) reading one's laws, (2) reading one's notary manual, and/or (3) calling the notary public administrator. I know the answers to all of them for myself based on Texas notary laws.

There will be SOME state specific info in this manual, I think, but the truth is that signing agent work doesn't vary much from state to state. There are a few state restrictions, but any would be signing agent should know those before planning a signing agent career.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 11/4/12 6:23pm
Msg #442176

Re: @Brenda - those are notary law questions

Brenda, Those examples I mentioned are not addressed in NC handbook and our SOS ND does not answer questions regarding loan documents. But, perhaps we are the exception.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/4/12 7:27pm
Msg #442190

Re: @Brenda - those are notary law questions

Your notary laws are very thorough. Better than Texas, by far.

I downloaded 30 pages of laws in a pdf. That is one place to start.
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/PDF/ByChapter/Chapter_10B.pdf You should also purchase for $20 the NC notary guide if you do not have it.

<<For example VA apparent notarizes a Note, where most states do not. >> My opinion: It doesn't matter what the document is, if a lender wants it notarized and the lender put a certificate on it, then notarize it. If it is not within your authorized acts, that's another story.

<<How do handle documents that have a place for a parish or township when yours does not. >> My opinion: Put the name of the city and county. That's sort of a general knowledge question. As far as I know, La. is the only state with parishes.

<<What to do with this form for ID Certification asking you to use your notary stamp as your ID when most dates will not allow. >> What are your authorized notary acts? If this is not included, then work around it. I have not read your 30 pages of laws in detail . I'll bet you can figure out whether or not you can do it if you read them, though. (Just for your own edification, it's been discussed from every angle here.)

<<How to handle ID issues as it appears from this forum rules appear slightly different from state to state. >> and <<What to do in your state when no valid ID exists (state specific rules to satisfy the competent witness rule). >>
My opinion: Your notary laws are as explicit as **any** state's are...practically the same as all of them. The credible witness info is there, too. "Satisfactory evidence. – Identification of an individual based on either of the following:
a. At least one current document issued by a federal, state, or federal or state-recognized tribal government agency bearing the photographic image of the individual's face and either the signature or a physical description of the individual.
b. The oath or affirmation of one credible witness who personally knows the individual seeking to be identified."

<<How to administer an oath for loan closings in your state.>> You have more info about this than Texas does. Your state says, among other things that an oath is "... a vow of truthfulness on penalty of perjury while invoking a deity or using any form of the word "swear". An affirmation is, "a vow of truthfulness on penalty of perjury, based on personal honor and without invoking a deity or using any form of the word "swear"."

Administering a loan document oath is no different than administering an oath on anything else. You did not mention taking an acknowledgment, but here is what your laws say on that, "The individual did either of the following: i. Indicated to the notary that the signature on the record was the individual's signature.
ii. Signed the record while in the physical presence of the notary and while being personally observed signing the record by the notary."

You've got a lot of info there to work with. I see a test on your notary site. How can one not know the answers to these questions if they have taken an exam?

*our SOS ND does not answer questions regarding loan documents. But, perhaps we are the exception.*

No, Carol. They are not the exception. They will not tell you how to complete a rescission notice, but they will tell you about notarizing one document. Don't ask about loan documents. Ask about a single notary act if you do not understand it.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/5/12 2:45pm
Msg #442254

IMO, it's a "be careful what you ask for" situation, Carol.

Most states have great Handbooks, but our capacity as NSA's isn't necessarily addressed.
I wouldn't want to be a CA notary, where everything is spelled out in black & white, but is restrictive. Also, I learned early on not to trust info from the NNA regarding what I can & cannot do in VA. I purchased a "Virginia Notary Law Primer" from them that contained a lot of incorrect info.
I'm sure you're aware that NC has gone back & forth a couple of times on allowing notaries to do loan signings. The attorneys would like to get it back, but I don't think that's going to happen.
Remember, when you're an NSA you are doing 2 jobs, that of notary & that of signing agent. Just be sure the acks & jurats contain any & all language required in your state.
I routinely add the venue, which often isn't printed on the loan docs. Other than that, there isn't a lot I have change & very seldom attach a loose certificate.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/4/12 8:21am
Msg #442094

Thanks, Harry. The NR staff is the best! ;-) n/m

Reply by Lila VanAcker on 11/5/12 4:31pm
Msg #442267

not finding in "our store" considering doing this as a new job and am very interested in this course.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 11/5/12 4:51pm
Msg #442273

Lila: click on "Signing Agent Training" in right margin. n/m

Reply by Yoli/CA on 11/5/12 4:52pm
Msg #442274

oops ... make that <<LEFT>> margin. n/m

Reply by Lila VanAcker on 11/5/12 5:04pm
Msg #442280

Re: oops ... make that <<LEFT>> margin.

tried that and it just takes me back to Harry's forum about the new manual. I may need to call them

Reply by Yoli/CA on 11/5/12 5:09pm
Msg #442283

Re: oops ... make that <<LEFT>> margin.

When clicking on left margin and it takes you back to Harry's posting, click on "store" link in his post and it will take you directly to where you need to be. At least it does for me.

Reply by Michele Carr on 1/8/13 1:16pm
Msg #449438

Help :)

I just logged into this site today.Can someone please tell me what course I need to take and what study material I need to become a Notary Signing Agent? Thank you

Reply by Janice Effinger on 12/12/12 1:51pm
Msg #446324

Is there a code to enter at check out? I am trying to purcahse and the price of $95 is coming up.

Reply by Marcia Thomas on 1/24/13 8:42am
Msg #451838

Re: Advanced Notary Signing Agent Training Course Now Available n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.