Notary Rotary
Brother Printer Question
Notary Discussion History

Brother Printer Question
Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by LarryNY on 11/9/12 9:21am
Msg #442745

Brother Printer Question

I have a Brother 5370 DWT that has given me good service, but I noticed that the Laser and Fuser are getting low in the remaining page count. Has anyone ever replaced these items? they don't appear to be a user replaceable part that anyone seems to sell and at some point it becomes more cost effective to replace the printer. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Thanks.

Reply by chucke/fl on 11/9/12 10:41am
Msg #442756

I had the same problem with my MFC 8480DN. I callled one of the brother service centers
and was told to replace that piece would cost approximately $189.00. So I had to weight the repair cost vs a brand new computer which would cost approx $500.00. I took under consideration that I purchased it on sale for $399.00. I decided that that I would go for the repair. The company did an excellent job in one day. No problems since.

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 11/9/12 1:37pm
Msg #442786

I know you can buy a new unused HL 5370 DWT online for under $300. I have hear of people in our network buying factor refurbished ones for under $200 and they seem to be getting great service out of it. We have the same machine in our office and love it.

Reply by LarryNY on 11/9/12 2:46pm
Msg #442794

Thank you. My thinking is that I have seen the 5370 without the second drawer for $149 refurb with a 1 year warranty directly from Brother. That also gives me a starter toner and a new drum. Unless the laser and fuser cost less than $100, it probably pays to buy the new printer and move the second drawer over. Does anyone know what happens if you don't replace those parts? Is it like the drum that seems to continue on for thousands of pages even though the replace light comes on?

Thanks

Reply by MikeC/TX on 11/9/12 5:43pm
Msg #442812

Do a Google search on resetting the page counter for Brother printers - it usually involves holding down a couple of buttons on the control panel, but I can't remember which they were and it may vary from model to model.

You can usually do that several times until print quality begins to suffer and you really do need to replace the parts, which suggests that the page count number really has nothing to do with whether those parts actually need to be replaced and more to do with selling replacement parts. The cost of those parts can often exceed the cost of a new printer.

I have had several Brother printers in the past and my only complaints were about a) the way they priced replacement parts, and b) the low life expectancy of those parts. I generally found it cheaper to just toss the printer and buy a new one, until I leaned that there are ways around those alarm lights.

All of the printer manufacturers have learned from companies like Schick and Gillette - sell the razor at a loss, make your money on the blades...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.