Notary Rotary
Desperately in Need of a Cocktail . . .
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by Karla/OR on 11/29/12 6:26pm
Msg #445084

What a harsh day - I'm hoping it is behind me now.

!) Did two re-fi's for the same BO last evening (as posted earlier) - no problem. The SS (Katladyz Mobile Notary) or lender did not mention that they wanted the docs faxed or e-mailed directly after the signing last night. Found out from SS today - 64 pages of docs from EACH re-fi - total of 128 pages!!! I said I had not been told there were going to be faxbacks and requested $25 be added to the $175 fee already approved. She was surprised and said all the notaries in their area (Medford, OR - 180 miles south of here) include the faxback fee in their quoted fee. Reluctantly she agreed to go ahead and add it.

2) Had problems with my fax machine skipping pages, tried a couple times to no avail. Problem sending too which leads me to believe fax on that end was not accepting what I was sending. My husband finally took the docs to work (he is on vacation) - he also tried to fax them but got a fax report of "No Answer." So instead he then scanned and e-mailed them. THOUGHT the problem was solved.

3) Now lender is e-mailing saying my e-mails do not show attachments. I then copied my e-mails with the PDF attachments and faxed them to her so she could see I HAD sent them! - also e-mailed to let her know about the fax. Did she not look for the PDF at bottom but instead at the "Attachment" at the top???? I then e-mailed her later to see if she had found the PDF's but no response came back.

It was a fiasco royale!! Time to unwind - MAYBE!! Just got a call from a woman who's husband is in the psyche ward at the local hospital and wants me to have him sign a doc pertaining to initiating a divorce proceeding. She is checking to see if I could even be admitted to see him or not. Waiting for a call back.

Where else do people have such interesting jobs???!!! :O)

Reply by anotaryinva on 11/29/12 6:35pm
Msg #445085

Okay, lots of problems here

Not getting into what or why you accept the fees that you do, but most importantly WHY are you waiting for a call from someone who has a husband in a psych ward? Time for a cocktail, yes I would agree and put your car keys away.

Reply by jba/fl on 11/29/12 7:04pm
Msg #445087

Give yourself a break - "put your car keys away." Good line

from anotaryinva. I concur.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 11/29/12 7:15pm
Msg #445090

Regarding the fax-back thing - if you have the capability to scan and email, make it clear to whoever is requesting the fax-backs that you will be sending the docs via email instead. There's no reason they should have a problem with that, especially if that's the way they sent you the docs in the first place. Don't even bother with a fax machine....

As far as the woman whose husband is in the psych ward - I personally would not touch that one, because you start off with questions about his competency to sign. He may be perfectly lucid at times, but you have no way of knowing whether one of those lucid periods would be when you showed up.

Reply by CentralNY on 11/29/12 7:57pm
Msg #445092

I totally agree with Mike and girlfriend

pick your poison and enjoy!! We all have those days. I just returned from one. their daughter's house burnt down so they were very distraught but wanted to get the loan done, big cash out. rush, rush, rush and Mr. kept printing his name. feet up and kick back.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 11/29/12 8:01pm
Msg #445094

What makes you think this guy would know what he's signing?

This is no time to get in the middle of this divorce situation. Wifey waits until he's under heavy duty psychiatric care in a secure facility (since you may not even be allowed to go in there) to decide to dump him?

What if this patient comes out of his "pysch condition" one day and wonders who notarized his signature (or his lawyer or family wonders who notarized his signature) consenting to initiating a divorce and all that entails, including possibly taking him to the cleaners, while he was in the hospital psych ward and likely on major meds? Yikes!

Reply by Shan/CA on 11/29/12 8:35pm
Msg #445099

Re: What makes you think this guy would know what he's signing?

Disaster waiting to happen! I don't think E&O would cover that one!

Reply by Susan Fischer on 11/30/12 10:26am
Msg #445144

Way too many assumptions - We don't know the mental

capacities, or motives, or backgrounds of anyone, if you think about it.

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/29/12 8:51pm
Msg #445103

I agree with all your posts - time to relax a bit tonight - the wife with the husband in the psych ward never called back so no worries there.

Your posts pretty much covered what had already come to mind and how I would deal with it this- It's definitely not a pretty situation but how else is this poor wife going to get the doc notarized be it not for a notary? She sounded pretty dire about getting the divorce on the road and getting away from him. My daughter has been in a similar situation recently and i would hope someone would step up and help her. If it happens, I will surely talk with the doc before hand.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 11/30/12 9:43am
Msg #445136

I'm with you, Karla - psych-0-ward husband doesn't

get off from being divorced by wife by virtue of his behavior.

You'll do the right thing if she calls back.

And, as to hubby doing the scan/email-back - especially if it's the SS who wants them - if you can't trust your husband...

Chocolates.

Reply by Philip Johnson on 11/29/12 9:25pm
Msg #445106

When you speak to Katzlady

Tell her I'm still waiting to be paid from two plus years ago.

Reply by LKT/CA on 11/29/12 10:28pm
Msg #445115

Two Refis with faxbacks = $350 <minimum> n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/30/12 5:40am
Msg #445119

Heh..not in MY neck of the woods...

but I wouldn't do it for under $200 either. And at $200 they better be relatively small packages.

Reply by LKT/CA on 11/30/12 8:14am
Msg #445126

Re: Heh..not in MY neck of the woods...

Linda, whether GNW or loan signings (and regardless of market fees, a.k.a. neck of the woods) - either the company agrees to MY fee or they call someone else...for ME, it's as simple as that. If I never get called, so be it. I charge what I charge.

Reply by janCA on 11/30/12 8:34am
Msg #445128

Re: Heh..not in MY neck of the woods...

The fee doesn't concern me as we all set our own, and you have to figure out your own worth, but you released very private documents to your husband. Now that's a big concern and a very big privacy issue.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/30/12 9:12am
Msg #445130

release private documents - I am SO glad I'm not the

only one that caught that.

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/30/12 12:29pm
Msg #445164

Jan and Linda~ My husband is my business partner so not a worry about the confidentiality of the docs!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/30/12 1:25pm
Msg #445173

Business partner - oh?

" My husband finally took the docs to work (he is on vacation)"

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/30/12 1:48pm
Msg #445178

Re: Business partner - oh?

Yes, Linda, he has a job outside the home as well as is co-owner of this business! Anything else I can say to convince you?

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 11/30/12 3:43pm
Msg #445205

Re: Business partner - oh?

It's not that simple, Karla, to just state that someone is a partner and therefore has access to borrowers personal information. Has your husband signed all the agreements you have with your clients? Is he background screened and is the BGC on file with the clients? Is he even a notary?

My husband is my partner only in the sense that he helps me with some aspects of my business but he NEVER has access to the docs or any other personal info I may have on the borrowers.

My clients hire ME to do the job. If I'm giving anyone else access to THEIR documents, they should be made aware.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/30/12 3:52pm
Msg #445209

My point exactly, Donna. n/m

Reply by Susan Fischer on 11/30/12 6:30pm
Msg #445232

Karla, I'm surprised by some of the responses about how

you run your business - or anyone "should" run a business. There were many times when friends (other professionals in various industies) have gotten me out of jambs when printers/cartridges/fax/scanners wigged out. Never did I worry about confidentiality. You don't stay in business or out of jail by being dishonest. When I had to resort to docs getting printed at the print-store - I had complete confidence that not one worker there could possibly glean any information from a stack spit out by a machine; and, of course, they consider *every* doc confidential: professionals. Those closings happened, on time, and I was the only one who suffered through the stress of logistics.

As to the legalities of your Partnership, meh. That's your 'business' and you're a smart and savvy professional.

Who gets more chocolates.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.