Notary Rotary
Equity National - low fee for signing that wasn't completed
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by WINotary on 11/23/12 6:46pm
Msg #444463

I am frustrated - two days ago had a signing - made a trip to borrower traveling 64 miles RT, printed two sets of docs total of approx 240 pages, arrived 15 minutes early, one of the borrowers did not have a legible drivers license. License was totally damaged and could not be read. He did not have any other form of ID I could use (except I was offered his prison ID from a few years ago - yikes!). I called Equity, discussed the situation and it was agreed to not proceed with the signing until a credible form of ID could be obtained. But here is my frustration - Equity does not want to pay me more than $25. My total fee was only going to be $100 anyway. I feel that is unfair. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply by Lee/AR on 11/23/12 7:45pm
Msg #444464

a reasonable discussion is in order

at even .555 (IRS

Reply by Lee/AR on 11/23/12 7:49pm
Msg #444465

Oops

.555/mi. X 64 miles is $35.52...plus print fee...doesn't compute to $25 total fee. Is this covered in their original order? If not, can't change the rules in midstream.

Reply by Frank/NC on 11/23/12 8:52pm
Msg #444466

Why even take the job for $100 for 64 miles?

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/24/12 1:04am
Msg #444477

My thought exactly! I wouldn't have taken it for that! n/m

Reply by WINotary on 11/24/12 10:35am
Msg #444491

Re: My thought exactly! I wouldn't have taken it for that!

Good points all of you - thanks for your insight.

Reply by MINISTER/IL on 11/25/12 9:29am
Msg #444549

Re: My thought exactly! I wouldn't have taken it for that!

we take those 100 fee's because otherwise they act like we are raping them with the fee. I have nations direct who calls me everyday and out of every lets say 7 closings I land one because they say 100 is too much. Believe it or not, they DO find another notary to do it. One week out of 5 closings I booked with them, I did one because the rest cancelled the day of the closing. That means they found a cheaper notary at the last minute.

Reply by 101livescan on 11/24/12 12:51pm
Msg #444499

Time is money...one hour each way, plus an hour to prep for and to perform the signing, I think this would have been a $300 fee, not $100, and at least $100 for a no sign, trip, print fee.

Well, lesson learned. A notary attended an FASS signing at a local bank recently, however, no docs, no signer, no sign...FASS pays $35...what a ripoff. I think it is a terrible exploitation of our profession.

Guess notary got madder than hell and told them all to F off...pretty interesting. This is my competition! Notary took him/herself off the list of approved notaries as far as the bank is concerned.

Reply by snowflake/PA on 11/24/12 3:41pm
Msg #444512

Re:Time is money - but you folks must live in urban areas

I routinely travel @ 60 miles RT for closings and can't seem to get extra money for travel time. This just happened when I asked a different national title company for $25.00 more to the base fee as the closing was further from my coverage area. They absolutely would not comply with the requested increase.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/24/12 4:17pm
Msg #444514

I agree...I'm very rural - limit my outer distance to 50 mi.

No way would I ever get $300 for any of those closings. I can ask for $300 til I'm blue in the face but I'd never get it - I'd just get laughed at.

Within 25 miles one way I get $100-$125; over 25 or outside my county I ask for $150 - that's the fee I've established - most times they don't want to pay that, but some companies do.

Reply by WINotary on 11/24/12 4:45pm
Msg #444517

Re: Re:Time is money - but you folks must live in urban areas

Rural and urban signings seem to be two different things - and unfortunately for us in the rural areas we can not often earn extra for the time we travel. Therefore, it is our choice to take the signing at the lower fee and include the travel, or not work. Again, I stress, this is our choice. Equity National has been fair to me in the past, and I realize that many notaries think very highly of them, and so have I...... until now.

Reply by LKT/CA on 11/24/12 9:29pm
Msg #444535

Re: Re:Time is money - but you folks must live in urban areas

Urban (city) area notaries are not exempt from driving issues. It's called "rush hour" and "Roadwork ahead, EXPECT DELAYS" toll roads and downtown parking. A 20 mile drive at 10am on Tuesday morning can be a very time consuming 20 mile drive at 6pm on Friday evening, depending on which direction <and which nightmare freeway> one is traveling on.

<<< Therefore, it is our choice to take the signing at the lower fee and include the travel, or not work. Again, I stress, this is our choice.>>>

True enough, it is a choice. But is the choice to accept work at lower fees with the resulting annoyance, frustration and loss of money worth it? At least if you commanded a higher fee and were bypassed for a cheaper notary, you haven't also WASTED your resources (paper, toner, folders, gasoline, wear & tear on vehicle and equipment, TIME.....). You have those resources for better fee offered loan signings. Notaries are under the mistaken impression that commanding a professional fee means they won't ever get calls again. But who wants lowballers/slow payers/nonpayers bothering them anyway!?! Professional notaries prefer only professionals calling them.

Reply by jba/fl on 11/25/12 8:44am
Msg #444548

Shoot - 4 mi. in urban area can take 30 mins + depending on

time of day, direction of traffic.

Lately everyone one is pushed to 5 - 6pm signings here - I don't understand why everyone at 5 or 6pm. That puts me in rush hour both directions - and I'm just turning them down in many areas. Not spending 1 hr. in traffic to deal with 1 hr. signing and then another 1 hr. returning. Certainly not for $100.

Reply by Jennifer Jackson on 11/25/12 3:40am
Msg #444544

Not only that, you booked them for that time slot, meaning you could have taken another signing during that time instead and been paid. That is why I think the full fee should be paid. You lost out on that time slot to use for someone else.

Reply by WINotary on 11/26/12 8:09pm
Msg #444674

Just an update to anyone interested - after numerous calls to EN they agreed today to pay me my full $100 fee. Fair way to end I feel.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.