Notary Rotary
Fee for Act of Correction
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by Douglas Bryan on 11/30/12 4:48pm
Msg #445221

I've just been contacted for the third time in the last 6 months asking me to sign notarial acts of correction on docs I notarized but didn't prepare. All three times the problem was with a typo on the property description on the mortgage prepared by the lender. In Louisiana, the AOC must be executed before a notary and two witnesses, meaning I will have to go somewhere besides my office to have this done. Is there a standard fee you guys charge for this? I've told them I want $50, which I think is more than reasonable considering the time required to print out, sign at another location, and Fed Ex back. What say ye?

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 11/30/12 5:49pm
Msg #445230

For a 3rd request for the same doc/reason, I would charge $100, they must provide the witnesses and must pay for all shipping costs. But that is just me.

At that rate and terms, they might just pay attention before sending the "corrected" doc.

JMO

Reply by LKT/CA on 11/30/12 10:05pm
Msg #445246

<<<I've just been contacted for the third time in the last 6 months asking me to sign notarial acts of correction on docs I notarized but didn't prepare.....All three times the problem was with a typo on the property description on the mortgage prepared by the lender. >>>

Sounds like the correction was with the document, NOT the notarization. Therefore, IMHO, it is not a "notarial act of correction. If you notarized correctly, but others screwed up the paperwork contents, then I see these calls as GNW. Just charge as you would for a GNW call, which is the notarization fee and travel. Make THEM responsible for any witness requirements.

I've had a few people try and pull that one on me in the past. THEY choose the wrong document and after it was rejected (for whatever reason) by the receiving party, they call me complaining. I politely inform them that I guarantee my work - meaning that I guarantee that the notarization is completed legally per my state's requirement and there are NO refunds or corrections when the CLIENT has chosen the wrong document. Notarizing a different document is a NEW appointment and NEW notarization plus travel fee.

Each time they mess up the doc and call you to notarize, just think "CHA-CHING" !!!!!!!

Reply by LKT/CA on 11/30/12 10:18pm
Msg #445250

To add...

There is one suggestion I make to all callers who inquire about executing a POA for financial purposes. I tell them to double check with the prinicpal signer's financial institutions and find out if those entities will accept a generic POA form from the office supply store or does the entity require their own form to be notarized. In many cases, the financial institution has a specific POA form.

Also, a few years back, I had a case where I notarized a POA for financial purposes. The lady called me back and said the bank rejected her as the attorney-in-fact because she had bad credit. Ask me if I would return to the facility to notarize another POA with her brother as A-I-F, whom the bank approved ahead of time. Notarization in first appt was correct.....receiving entity (bank) rejected POA. New appt to notarize a new POA with different A-I-F, new notarization plus travel fee.

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 12/1/12 2:08pm
Msg #445296

Thanks LKT.

I think I misunderstood the OP and thought the request was for the same doc (3 times). That's why I said I would charge what I did.

Reply by BobtheElder on 12/2/12 2:59pm
Msg #445339

I think it's perfectly normal to charge for these corrections... they are, after all, additional work for you through no fault of your own...

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.