First signing tomorrow
Notary Discussion History

First signing tomorrow
Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by Holly Reynolds on 11/21/12 12:09am
Msg #444219

First signing tomorrow

Hi
I am doing my first signing tomorrow night and I just printed out the docs. I have a couple of quick questions. Is nyone still up to help me?

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 11/21/12 12:16am
Msg #444220

post your questions Holly

if anyone has answers, they will respond. please do a search first using the orange search button as you may find the answers are already here! good luck!

Reply by Holly Reynolds on 11/21/12 12:22am
Msg #444222

Sorry if these are stupid questions. First signing. Does the deed need to be on legal paper? What copies o I give the borrower ? There was not a separate PDF. Also, amended escrow instructions were included showing where the grantor and grantee sign , it looks like a divorce situation. Do I have the husband my client sign these docs?

Reply by Clem/CA on 11/21/12 12:26am
Msg #444223

Chicken Suit

Reply by Holly Reynolds on 11/21/12 12:31am
Msg #444224

Sorry Clem. My mistake. I thought I could reach out to professionals for advice on this forum.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/21/12 12:33am
Msg #444225

"Does the deed need to be on legal paper?"

What is the page size of the PDF? If it's a deed of trust, my guess it that it's a letter size... but, a lot of notaries printing everything on legal... I still don't personally undetand the reasoning for that since it's far more expensive... but whatever. It's likely that the deed is letter-seize, but you need to check the PDF page size to know for sure.

"What copies o I give the borrower ? There was not a separate PDF."

Yeah... there usually isn't. You print two copies of everything. One gets signed, the other is the copy left with the borrowers.

On your profile on and your website you claim to be "Loan Certified" -- you may want to go back and review those course materials or talk to whoever "certified" you in the first place.

As forwho is required to sign... you need to ask the people who gave you the assignment as to who will be present or not. There are many variables involved, especially in divorce cases when split signings occur -- signers sign on different dates in different locations, often with different notaries.

Reply by Holly Reynolds on 11/21/12 12:37am
Msg #444226

Thank you for your help. I want to feel confident going into the signing tomorrow. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 11/21/12 12:49am
Msg #444227

Like Marian said, print two copies of whatever was sent to you: one copy to sign, the other to leave with the signer as their copy to keep. Also, as Marian said, most Deeds are letter size, I can't ever recall seeing a legal-size deed; still. you'll be safe printing everything on legal-size paper.

As to the grantor and grantee ...and do you have the husband sign these docs? Generally, you will have whoever has a signature line sign the docs. If somebody's name is not printed underneath a signature line, then you don't have anybody sign there. Look for where their name is printed and have them sign above that. Back to grantor and grantee - remember "grantor" is the person giving (think: donor; note the "or" at the end of both words.) The grantee is the person receiving.

Grantor/grantee isn't necessarily a divorce situation. This could be a purchase where you're signing either the seller (grantor) or the buyer (grantee). If you have any questions, call your hiring agency.

Reply by Holly Reynolds on 11/21/12 1:08am
Msg #444228

Hi
If there is not a signature name on the grantor /grantee line (I am only meeting with the grantor) do I not have him sign on that document? Thank you for your help

Reply by 1Notary1 on 11/21/12 9:58am
Msg #444254

<<<<<<you'll be safe printing everything on legal-size paper>>>>>>>>>

With all due respect GOLDGIRL, that's the wrong advise to give someone. Every TC is different. Some want everything printed on legal, some on letter and others as the docs are scanned. (legal and letter). Best advise is to follow instructions or ask TC/SS. One particular company I do work for specifically wants everything printed on letter. Another company I regularly do work for wants everything printed on legal. Don't assume, just follow instructions or ask.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 11/21/12 11:46am
Msg #444264

Woops! Ur right. (Thnk Provident, for example) n/m

Reply by Cherylann on 11/21/12 6:13am
Msg #444231

Holly, when you ask questions about docs, always helpful to others if you specify the name of the doc you are questioning. Here in IL, about the only time we see Grantors and Grantees is on a QCD (Quit Claim Deed), and 50% of the time the names are not printed below the signature lines. We have to refer to the verbiage on the first page to see who is granting to who. If it is a QCD and your client is the Grantor, then yes, he/she would need to sign it. Check with the company that hired you for instructions. Also make sure you let members know what state you're in as property laws can vary.

As to paper size, most Notes/Mortgages/DOT are on letter size, but it can vary by lender requirements. Chase seems to be bouncing between letter/legal and all legal depending on which office it comes out of.

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/21/12 3:01am
Msg #444229

I'm glad you had a chance to look over the docs before the signing - a big plus, especially when it is your first. You will do just fine - go in there with confidence so you don't give the BO's any reason to question your abilities.

Just remember to call your lender contact if you have any questions pertaining to the docs - better to call and get an answer so it is done right, rather than starting off your NSA career with errors. When I and/or the BO's have questions at the signing table, I start, or have the BO's start a list of questions - then AT THE END we call the lender contact for assistance rather than calling them numerous times throughout the signing. Of course there will be those times when the signer does not want to go any further before talking to their lender contact.

Best of luck to you! I hope you will post how your "First signing" went.

Reply by Barb25 on 11/21/12 2:33pm
Msg #444298

Ah, Karla you are a breath of fresh air.

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/21/12 4:31pm
Msg #444316

Back at you Barb - have a wonderful T-Day!!! n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/21/12 7:56am
Msg #444244

I am really curious where you got your certification

Most if not all of your questions should have been addressed in your "certification" course. If you are unsure of the most basic issues, perhaps you need to revisit your course materials and, possibly, your instructor.

BTW, what is "Ap-certified"?

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/21/12 11:10am
Msg #444257

Re: I am really curious where you got your certification

Linda, my guess is she may have meant APN...

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/21/12 11:15am
Msg #444259

Okay..my stupid is showing..APN? A nurse? n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/21/12 11:21am
Msg #444260

Re: Okay..my stupid is showing..APN? A nurse?

No, apparently, there's a certification out there from the "Association of Professional Notaries" -- which I'm not entirely sure actually exists... I think it's just a name used by one of the bigger notary training companies.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/21/12 12:05pm
Msg #444266

Welcome, Holly.

It's a lot to figure out at one time...being a signing agent and a notary, especially if you are new to being a notary.

My advice will not help you much for today, but it will help you for the future. Read your notary guide/manual, rules/laws, regularly. Then, build on that knowledge with your signing agent experience.

Reply by Luckydog on 11/21/12 9:01pm
Msg #444336

Re: Welcome, Holly.

Hi Holly,
I print everything on legal, just because I run 2 printers and never paid to make them duel. If in question, just ask the SS. Just starting out, you probably only have one size, print on legal, unless they break the package for you and specify. Different states do different things.
The night before, invest in little flags and mark what they need to initial and sign, and always have them sign exactly the way it says, regardless if it is the signature on their DL. Make sure you use proper ink color, Florida is blue unless stated.
Just remember you are in control. If you have time, read what the docs are ahead of time, so you know what the difference between a Warranty Deed and Special Warranty deed, a mortgage, a deed of trust, the TIL, the 1003 etc., what the note is. The best education is self taught and just experience. You will screw up in the beginning at one time or another. Just learn by every mistake. After your first 15+ closings, you will be more comfortable. Even if your not sure, act like you do. Self confidence will make the buyer at ease, and less screw ups. Good luck!

Reply by CJ on 11/22/12 12:00am
Msg #444344

It's not really your job to explain the docs.

But it does help if you can.

Since it is your first job, let them take their time to look over each page. Basically, whatever it says at the top is what it is yakking about. I learned about the docs over the years, by having the borrowers comment and explain them to me. But if you are stuck and they are not going to sign, just call your signing service and they can have title smooth it out. And you will learn from that too.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.