Notary Rotary
Good riddance
Notary Discussion History

Good riddance
Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by GOLDGIRL/CA on 11/19/12 12:23am
Msg #443948

Good riddance

Following is an e-mail I recieved some time ago from a psycho escrow officer after I sought clarification on a couple of items before the signing. I no longer work with the SS this nutcase uses, so I feel free to post it now. There are so many things wrong with this escrow officer I don't know where to begin, but, enjoy:

"I never like my signers to call my borrowers. I tell (name of SS) that all the time and that is why I mention it again in my email that I have confirmed it. So no, you do not call them too.

"The notaries I usually get from (name of SS) will take the copy of the borrowers' DL with their phones. Most mobile signers are doing that now. I do not bother my clients with making them copy their own license. If you can not do this, let me know and we can change signers. I will not have my borrowers bothered with this."

BOTHERED by making copies of their DL?!?! What are they, divas? If borrowers can't be "bothered" with making copies of their ID, then maybe they shouldn't have been "bothered" with providing copies of their tax returns, paystubs, and social security cards and paying for an appraisal, filling out a loan app etc. Better yet, why not just forget copies of the ID if it's such a hardship? Which incidentally I refuse to do, despite the fact "most mobile signers are doing that now." No way am I carting around copies of somebody's ID on my personal phone or camera. That's just downright tacky, taking a pic of their DL at the kitchen table or in Starbucks. Yuk. (BTW, the last two signings I did where this weirdo was the escrow officer I gave the borrowers a choice: Make your own copy or I'll take a picture. Both immediately chose to make their own copy. Duh. They thought it was ridiculous the EO refused to have them make their own copy.)

"I never like my signers to call my borrowers." Oooh, sorry, I pestered your borrowers with a call confirming I'd be there at such and such a time, which any normal businessperson would do. What are we? Vermin?

This is one escrow officer I'm glad is in my rear view mirror.

Reply by Budman on 11/19/12 12:33am
Msg #443950

Re: I wouldn't work under those conditions either. n/m

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/19/12 2:24am
Msg #443951

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!! n/m

Reply by Jennifer Jackson on 11/19/12 3:26am
Msg #443953

WOW! Some borrowers do not want you to take a picture with your phone, and readily make a copy a few feet away from where we are signing.

Reply by snowflake/PA on 11/19/12 7:41am
Msg #443963

Same thing here for tonight's signing. Told title it is MY

policy to introduce myself, confirm appt, id requirements, and directions or I don't go to closing. We are quite rural here and Mapquest etc, not always efficient. Title had no problem with it. We'll see how LO reacts.

Reply by Beverly Kinlaw on 11/19/12 7:49am
Msg #443964

Re: Same thing here for tonight's signing. Told title it is MY

i agree Same thing here - rural area - GPS etc sometimes do not factor in the 3rd dirt road, with the cows grazing at the corner of the road with the fence painted red and 3 oak trees.
Beware of possible bears, deer and in summer a snake or two crossing the road.

So do not tell me to not call the borrower or else give me some combat way to find where I am going.

Reply by CinOH on 11/19/12 7:50am
Msg #443965

"I never like my signers to call my borrowers."

This attitude sums up the whole problem. We are not "his" or anyone's signers. We're independent contractors who have the right (and responsibility) to confirm our own appointments. I do not take appointments where I cannot call the borrowers to confirm. Too many landmines with that.

Most people have copiers/scanners in their homes now. Borrowers getting copies of their ID is not a big issue. Either way it is their responsibility to get a copy if required.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/19/12 8:50am
Msg #443967

Yes, I'd dump them too. Biz is too crazy these days as it

is. IMO it's the other way around. The borrowers often get too many phone calls--from the LO, the tc, and then me. By that time they're confused as to who is actually showing up to do the signing. Good communication is great, but it can be overkill.

Reply by Robin/CA on 11/19/12 11:09am
Msg #443983

Re: Yes, I'd dump them too. Biz is too crazy these days as it

I can't imagine not calling the borrower to introduce myself and confirm the time. Just recently I was scheduled to do a signing and I called to confirm and found out the signing was in a different location 30 miles the opposite direction, I was given the signing location of one of their other properties. I just happen to ask how the weather was in that town and was told "oh my, don't go there, nobody will be home."

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 11/19/12 11:20am
Msg #443988

Have to disagree on one point.

IMO, it is never "overkill" for the NSA to make a confirmation call.

1) It's just good business to do so.
2) Reminding the signers to have their ID's available and copies of them ready helps the signing to speed up the signing.
3) If there are issues, such as location or time changes, they can be discovered and taken care of prior to showing up at their door, or their renter's door.
4) I've had issues with funds due at closing when there were not supposed to be any funds due discovered prior to printing the docs with a call to the borrowers. Docs redrawn correctly and signing completed the same or next day.

There are others, but #1 is enough for me to require contact numbers for signers.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/19/12 4:50pm
Msg #444033

Re: Have to disagree on one point.

I agree on all points, Moneyman/TX. I can't count how many times I've run into situations where I've discovered problems on a confirmation call. Most often it's just a typo on the address, but I've also hit every other item you've mentioned. The most common one for me, though, is when I've been given the property address for an investment property when the borrowers live somewhere else. Another not so infrequent one here is when there's a gate code to get into their neighborhood. You don't want to drive a good distance to someone's home late in the evening, find out that the call-in box at their gate entry isn't working and you don't have cell phone reception... (Trust me, I know! I've since learned my lesson.)

Also, I think it's just plain common courtesy. And some people will feel more comfortable having you come into their home if they've already spoken with you.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/19/12 5:34pm
Msg #444042

Just happened again...

Borrowers live in Laguna Beach, but are out in the Palm Springs area for the holidays... That message - if it was every mentioned to anyone - didn't get passed on!

Reply by Barb25 on 11/19/12 11:15am
Msg #443986

Amen, GG!

Why is everyone so concerned about inconveniencing the borrower about things that the lender and/or TC is asking for? You don't want to incovenience them, don't ask for a copy of the ID. It is that simple.

Reply by Donna LaBelle on 11/19/12 11:20am
Msg #443987

without a confirmation call how are you supposed to know if they even posess a current photo id? or if the address you were given for the signing is correct? or if they even live in the same state? (IO say this because I called a borrower once and the house they were refinancing was local but they actually lived 3 states away.)

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/19/12 11:48am
Msg #444001

Donna, I've had the same thing happen.

Also, have contacted borrower to find out they're on vacation in east-wheretheheckever and they won't be home for 2 weeks.

I can't go without having borrower contact first. Too many things can go wrong.

JMO

Reply by Linda Spanski on 11/19/12 12:35pm
Msg #444016

It happened to me last Friday night

I accepted my first "do not call" assignment from a regular client. Asked if I would be paid in the event of a no-show (yes). Was told "this escrow company is so good that their borrowers know all about the appointment so don't worry about a thing."

Well, when I got to the door they were hesitant to let me in. Had no idea I was coming and said it was lucky they were even home. Never again.

Reply by sealed/CA on 11/20/12 12:55am
Msg #444082

What are we? Vermin?

From the sound of it, I believe she thinks we are. So sad.
Glad you've moved on, you deserve better. Smile

Reply by Les_CO on 11/20/12 5:21pm
Msg #444166

Uhhhhhh….By the way…. you wanna buy a real clean, good, low mileage, one owner, used car?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.