Notary Rotary
Huge hike in 123's fees!
Notary Discussion History

Huge hike in 123's fees!
Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by TerrieG/CA on 11/6/12 3:11pm
Msg #442399

Huge hike in 123's fees!

I'm up for renewal at the other company's directory, and was appalled by Jeremy's fee hikes. For my #17 position, my rate is jumping from $120 to $170!
Has anyone noticed this?
Are you paying the higher fees?
Do you feel his service is still worth it?

Reply by MW/VA on 11/6/12 3:17pm
Msg #442401

We don't usually discuss the competition on this site.

That said, they're losing many who don't renew, and then jack up the prices. These are not the days of a few years ago, when you could get away with that, IMO.
When it comes to biz, try pulling up msg. 399192 from the archives. Bob/Chicago posted it a while back & it's a good example of what not to do.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/6/12 7:35pm
Msg #442440

MW - you are an amazing reference source.

I remember when I used to have a memory. Smile

Reply by MW/VA on 11/7/12 7:54am
Msg #442481

Thanks, but my memory's fading fast, too! ;-) n/m

Reply by 101livescan on 11/7/12 8:12am
Msg #442485

Re: MW - you are an amazing reference source.

This business is hell on recall, right? Just too much to try to remember all the time.

But we have some good solid reference postings to go back to.

IMHO, there is just nothing like NR to help us remember "stuff".

Reply by MW/VA on 11/6/12 3:19pm
Msg #442403

We get so much more here for our money! :-) n/m

Reply by ToniK on 11/6/12 4:09pm
Msg #442409

I haven't been a member since 2008/2009. Never really gotten biz from there since I never paid for higher position. Rather use that money elsewhere.

Reply by Notarized on 11/15/12 2:14pm
Msg #443515

Since they are one of the few that actually do online advertising, I do "contribute to his budget". Takes the google adwords headache off my shoulders ...

Reply by Pro Mobile Notary on 11/6/12 4:55pm
Msg #442414

Terrie, you don't need them any longer. When we first met I would have said yes. You are fairly well established now.

Save the money and if enough people do that he will figure out what he did wrong and lower his fees.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 11/6/12 5:00pm
Msg #442415

I just renewed, and since the hike, I only renewed for 6 months. Will re-evaluate then.

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 11/6/12 5:08pm
Msg #442418

that site is a huge joke...and a waste of money...don't renew...JUST SAY NO!

Reply by bagger on 11/7/12 7:14am
Msg #442474

I quit this site when he threatened me

with disc'ing in the middle of my contract period, without refunding my money.
Why?
Because you must log in every so many days!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/7/12 9:30am
Msg #442493

Every 90 days - and I believe that's because he

wants to make sure he maintains a database of current, active notaries. Can't blame him there - look how many here had to be purged because some listings went back years for some people who weren't even commissioned any more.

Reply by dgd/CA on 11/6/12 6:32pm
Msg #442433

(Forgive me Harry!!!) I've noticed that this site, you refer to, has truly diversified itself into many other "forums" and groups. As such, I have been wondering why, given that it delved into so many "free" networks, online groups and social networks (and as such taken on the role of blogger) how could it possibly maintain profitability...particularly as, I have not noticed (the true bloggers primary goal) advertisers.

Okay, we all love Notary Rotary. However; It Is Not a "non-profit" organization, and quite frankly, given the economy, it has done everything it can to avoid substantial membership fee increases. I salute them. However, at the end of the day, true business decisions must be made . NotRot appears on FB, yet, Harry does not post on a day to day basis...ergo, electing to maintain, as much as is possible with regards to its' posts; comments and discussions, a particular type of exclusivity (while anyone may view Notary Talk, they cannot post or comment without some type of membership). Perhaps recognizing that the continued success of this forum, rests upon its' (quasi) seclusion, he has chosen (wisely) to not do so.

Be that as it may, you face a purely business decision. No different than if you were a CPA; Attorney; Architectural Firm; Insurance Representative; Painting Contractor; Distributor, or Supplies Outlet . As such, calculate your business referral and actual payments received from this site, if it is profitable to continue, do so, without question. If in your calculations, your margins dictate that you must increase your pricing by "such and such," do so. If not feasible, remove yourself from the equation. Period. It is no more than middle school (here I date myself, I'm thinking today, it's more like hs sophomore Smile) required Business Math.

Good luck in your decision making process...
As in any business decision, please allow yourself sufficient time to analyze the situation in its' entirety.

Reply by ananotary on 11/6/12 10:00pm
Msg #442454

Couldn't agree more. This is simply a business decision.

Reply by LKT/CA on 11/6/12 7:04pm
Msg #442436

<<<Do you feel his service is still worth it?>>>

NO. When someone searches for a notary in a zip code, the FIRST notaries to be listed should be for that zip code. The neighboring zips are listed after that. I won't pay for a membership to a directory where anyone in any zip code can pay for the top spot. The directory owner can operate their site however they choose. And I can do the same with my money. JMHO

Reply by Stoli on 11/6/12 8:30pm
Msg #442448

123 tagged me for $290 bucks! I'm not even #1 position. n/m

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 11/6/12 9:04pm
Msg #442450

Re: 123 tagged me for $290 bucks! I'm not even #1 position.

I am listed there purely for advertising..I will not be doing this again..My money is best spent here on Not Rot..I never go to to the other place..Not Rot is top notch and I appreciate that Harry thank you!

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 11/6/12 9:16pm
Msg #442452

123 suggested I bid on the top spot. He wouldn't give rate.

when I asked for clarification of what he was looking for he sent an email with example of 300-400 bid that would give him the ability to put pressure on the #1 spot individual. My fee for second position was up 33% from previous year.
Stoli-perhaps he is putting that kind of pressure on you because someone wants your spot?

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 11/6/12 10:24pm
Msg #442456

It's a big advantage to be listed

I am # 1 in Riverside and I pay big big bucks to stay there, but it is truly worth it. Take this week
for instance, I got 3 title/escrow companies to give me signings and the least was $150 and this goes on week after week.

These aren't the type of companies that will give me "bread & butter" assignments but every week I get called, from different companies, because I am listed on this website.

All the the loan signers who are listed in the top spots all know this site is worth it's weight in gold!
The peple posting who say it isn't worthwhile are not listed.

I am listed as a premier member notrot and get calls and also the coffe site and that is where I spend my advertising dollars.

Reply by ananotary on 11/7/12 7:34am
Msg #442475

Joan- same here. I have #1 position in my area

and experience the same results. If it didn't make sense, I wouldn't do it. When I first started in this business I had a sales/marketing background and knew that the #1 spot was prime real estate.

Reply by linda/ca on 11/7/12 1:34am
Msg #442462

LKT wrote: "NO. When someone searches for a notary in a zip code, the FIRST notaries to be listed should be for that zip code."

Funny you mention that, LKT. Prior to reading your post I sent a message to Harry as I noticed that someone in a different zip code is now listed above me on this site. Very irritating!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/7/12 5:39am
Msg #442466

Me too Linda...not only is someone in a different

zip code listed ahead of me - they're not even in the same county!!! To add to that - they're a signing service. But because they do signings they get away with it...and I think it stinks.

Apparently the zip code parameters on this site are outer boundary to outer boundary and not center to center.

Yes, it's irritating.

Reply by Lee/AR on 11/7/12 6:56am
Msg #442472

Re: Me three...not only is someone in a different

zip code/county listed before me in mine, but the 50 mile maximum eliminates half of the places I service and the default 30 miles is quite limiting in this area.

Reply by Eve/VA on 11/7/12 11:24am
Msg #442509

I was blown away by the rudeness of the 123 folks. n/m

Reply by JS_MD on 11/6/12 10:54pm
Msg #442458

The guys also a jerk.....major head case n/m

Reply by CentralNY on 11/7/12 9:21am
Msg #442491

I shouldn't go here but......

it is such a technically unfriendly site. it is like some major ocd engineer/programer designed it. and it is way expensive for the slot you get. i used to be a paying member years ago and never got calls from that site. i have to say all calls i get that are not from already established clients come from here, which creates new clients. i always ask.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.