Notary Rotary
Legal Size docs
Notary Discussion History

Legal Size docs
Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by Reliable1 on 11/21/12 7:37am
Msg #444241

Legal Size docs

When I get an order that says to print all on legal size paper, I phone them to verify and let them know I have a high quality automatic-draw two-tray laser printer. The companies almost always say to go ahead and print on both, according to each document's sent size. Once a company gives approval for that, I don't worry about it again with subsequent assignments from them.

Reply by jba/fl on 11/21/12 8:50am
Msg #444245

JMHO: you are wasting time on that phone call.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/21/12 11:09am
Msg #444256

Maybe it's just me...but I ignore those instructions about page size printing... why? Because most of the time it's directed to the LCD notaries who can't be bothered to figure out how to print by PDF page size. Just like a lot of the highlighted, bolded and other ridiculous instructions that are thrown in because, sadly, some lack a lot of common sense....much less business or technical sense that is required in this industry.

They way I figure it... If title/escrow creates a document page that is a letter page size, I print it that size. If they create a document that is legal page size, I print it that size. I don't stop to think about it. If they wanted all of their documents printed on legal paper, then they'd send me a file with all legal size documents.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 11/21/12 12:19pm
Msg #444271

Marian: What's LCD notaries? n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/21/12 12:31pm
Msg #444275

Lowest Common Denominator n/m

Reply by jba/fl on 11/21/12 12:45pm
Msg #444278

An anacronym to love! (LCD) n/m

Reply by supersigner on 11/21/12 1:02pm
Msg #444283

So--Do you have a printer that reads paper size? Mine is double tray but will only print one size at a time. I tried this back and forth method and it is frustrationg and time consuming.
Much easier, but not cost effective, to print on legal paper.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/21/12 2:18pm
Msg #444295

Yes, I have two actually...both dual tray. And yes , they are bth automatically set up to prtin according to the page size indicated in the file. They pull the paper from the proper tray as needed. That's the whole point of having a second tray.

The trick is in knowing how to set up your system to do it... it isn't automatic. It takes some time and customization of your printer and system settings, but it isn't difficult. Any printer that accepts a second tray will have the settings and rivers available to handle it.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 11/21/12 11:15am
Msg #444258

I have one company that demands all legal. That's what they get. Otherwise when they ask for all legal, I always check. A phone call doesn't take more than a minute. It's not a big deal to me.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 11/21/12 11:26am
Msg #444261

I print the size they come to me. That's why I have a dual

tray. If they want all legal, send them that way.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/21/12 11:28am
Msg #444262

Amen to that. n/m

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 11/21/12 11:37am
Msg #444263

Agree with Marian, that rule applies to clueless NSA's n/m

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 11/21/12 11:49am
Msg #444265

It's called "Notarizing for Dummies" n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/21/12 12:09pm
Msg #444268

I'm going to take exception to this statement that it

applies to "clueless notaries"

I, for one, have a single tray printer - why? Because I couldn't afford any better and did the best I could with what I had to work with. It doesn't make me "clueless"....it just makes me not able to go out and buy printers every time I turn around.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/21/12 12:10pm
Msg #444269

BTW..I'm not a Dummy either. n/m

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 11/21/12 12:21pm
Msg #444272

Re: BTW..I'm not a Dummy either.

Yikes, Linda! I was only referring to Marian's commment:

" Just like a lot of the highlighted, bolded and other ridiculous instructions that are thrown in because, sadly, some lack a lot of common sense....much less business or technical sense that is required in this industry."

Sorry u took it so personally, I have no idea what your financial/printer situation is.

Ir was just a joke. Sorry!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/21/12 12:23pm
Msg #444273

Ah..okay...gotcha...mea culpa too!! n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/21/12 12:59pm
Msg #444281

Re: I'm going to take exception to this statement that it

Linda, I think we know that there are obvious exceptions... but for the most part, the ones who are printing on all legal or all letter couldn't begin to tell you *why* unless it was something like, "Well, that's what they told me to do," or "That's how my trainer did it," or "I thought that's how everyone did it."

Those are the ones we should worry about... they're the ones aren't thinking for themselves or running their business like business.

BTW... I couldn't afford a dual tray at first either. It was a killer. I have 2 now, but I still have that first one, and it's running strong... but you know how I got it? I bought it as a refurbished unit which really kept the price down. I just kept watching the sales really closely... and especially the online deal forums (like fatwallet) where people post their finds. I've found the best deals of my life that way.

The Brother printer is still my favorite for printing loan docs...it's a friggin' workhorse.

Reply by jba/fl on 11/21/12 2:31pm
Msg #444297

My first printer was single tray and I lived with it alone

for a long time. Then I got so busy I needed a second printer. I discovered Office Max online and got my first dual tray for about $50 more than a single tray. It just made sense to spend that $50 and save on paper costs and pay for the printer that way. Then I discovered refurbished printers were less money and many times the only thing wrong with them is that they had been purchased and then returned and could not be sold as new, hence, refurb. Got one on manager's special once and decided to use it for parts if nothing else. Saved a bundle of money refilling toner on all 3 myself, and everything was interchangable on all of them, so costs were trimmed. Bought 2 printers, only one a dual tray as my business is down, plus, even if I were to be very busy, the new printer is twice as fast. Everything is wireless, and I am loving it this way. Printers are still about only $50 for 2nd tray if bought initially, not as an add on where they are about $100+ more. I have Brothers printers and I find their customer support simply fabulous and they walked me through my entire set up, including being sure that both trays were recognized for the dual tray capability.

It is just so much easier and faster and economical.

Reply by jba/fl on 11/21/12 2:38pm
Msg #444299

The above is flawed....

The above is slightly skewed as a couple of sentences were omitted by the shenanigans this new keyboard inflicts on me periodically. Here is what I really meant to say:

My first printer was single tray and I lived with it alone for a long time. Then I got so busy I needed a second printer. I discovered Office Max online and got my first dual tray for about $50 more than a single tray. It just made sense to spend that $50 and save on paper costs and pay for the printer that way. Then I discovered refurbished printers were less money and many times the only thing wrong with them is that they had been purchased and then returned and could not be sold as new, hence, refurb. Got one on manager's special once and decided to use it for parts if nothing else. Saved a bundle of money refilling toner on all 3 myself, and everything was interchangable on all of them, so costs were trimmed. I lived happily with this arrangement until Windows 7 earlier this year.

When I had to upgrade my computer, I found Windows 7 would not accept my old printers. Bought 2 printers, only one a dual tray as my business is down, plus, even if I were to be very busy, the new printer is twice as fast. Everything is wireless, and I am loving it this way. Printers are still about only $50 for 2nd tray if bought initially, not as an add on where they are about $100+ more. I have Brothers printers and I find their customer support simply fabulous and they walked me through my entire set up, including being sure that both trays were recognized for the dual tray capability.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/21/12 2:47pm
Msg #444302

Re: The above is flawed....

I agree... Refurb is the way to go. You can find them if you look hard enough, especially if you know a specific model you're looking for... you can find all kinds of retailers who have refurb models available. Many of them might be smaller office equipment supply companies, too.

That's how I got my second printer... a color Samsung. I picked it up from a an office equipment supply house. The guy had a shelf of refurb units he was trying to sell... returned unites that he couldn't legally sell as new, so the prices were ridiculously low. The one cost me $160 and it didn't even look like it had been used. I don't use that one as much because it's meant for my color printing, but it's still a beauty, and I've still printed plenty of loan packages on it in monochrome as a backup when the other printer was busy. I have other printers, too for various uses... but those are my two workhorse printers.

Reply by HisHughness on 11/21/12 6:49pm
Msg #444323

Marian's fixation on dual tray printers is ridiculous

We all know that you run dual tray printers, Marian. We all know that you are inordinately proud of that. And we all know -- oh, do we ever know! -- that you look down your nose at anyone who does not run a dual tray set up of one, two, or forty-leven printers.

I have been in this business for 10 years this month. Until about three months ago, every packet that came through my operation was printed on legal size paper, unless it came in the form of an attachment that specified it was for letter size. I did not then nor do I now regard myself as clueless, a dummy, or the lowest common denominator among signing agents.

I never had a single client complain about the size of the paper I used to print packages, though I have had one or two which specifically specified all legal. Absent some compelling reason to the contrary -- and being extravagantly proud of running two dual tray printers is not a compelling reason -- I would not arrogantly ignore a client's instructions to print on all legal.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 11/22/12 12:30am
Msg #444347

Marian is completely right about the cost of legal paper

If you are going to be in this business you need to have the 2 nd tray. You can't print legal paper at $47 per case when it $26 for letter at Sam's/Costco.

Most loan documents are 2/3 letter and 1/3 legal. There are some exceptions but this statement cover 98% of the docs you print.

Do the math and and buy the 2nd tray it will pay for itself very quickly.

The last tray I bought for my Brother printer on Amazon was $149.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/23/12 1:39am
Msg #444397

Re: Marian is completely right about the cost of legal paper

For $149, someone could find a decent quality reasonably fast refurbished printer - with a second tray, if they're willing to shop eBay, etc.

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 11/21/12 2:16pm
Msg #444294

Amen to that Linda! n/m

Reply by 24 7 Las Vegas Notary on 11/21/12 1:15pm
Msg #444286

This is a perfectly fine statement.

For those notaries who have dual tray printers (which are difficult to even find in most retail/computer/office stores)...printing out mixed-sizes, is fine and wonderful.

MANY notaries do NOT have dual tray printers because:
1) they are much more expensive than standard single tray
2) they are hard to find in most officemax/depot etc stores, except for those higher end printers 3) many notaries don't get that many jobs, especially starting out, to warrant spending that kind of money on a 'dual tray' printer.

That is being said in defense of the 'single tray notaries' out there...because there seems to be an element of 'name-calling' and "LCD notary" commentary here (like on many internet comment posting sites, people find ways to make themselves feel smarter or 'better' by insulting others= lack of empathy)...which is unnecessary and only shows a 'less than nice' personality trait.

FYI: I have FIVE printers, three of which are dual tray, technically, one is four-tray.

One is a 'portable printer' that is taken 'on the road' when traveling.
One is an AIO (all-in-one) for quick prints/scans/faxes so people don't have to walk from one side of the office to the other for a printout, etc.
Two are high-end color, duplex (both sides printing) HP laserjet printers.
One is a Sharp MX3100N that is as 'fancy' as any professional office printer (Fedex Office/UPS/Professional printers office could hope to have...I can print magazines, have it auto staple, 2 or 3-hole punch as they're printed, fold the paper as directed, etc...it also scans, faxes and emails, stores documents in memory for later...etc etc etc...

*Question for those who want to 'bash' on single-tray-notaries...
Perhaps I should start a forum for MEGA Printer notary services and use derogatory commentary about everyone else that doesn't have MY LEVEL of printing capabilities too? It'd be the same as insulting 'fellow notaries' in any other forum...this chain of commentary or others.

I would HOPE to see more 'camaraderie' (friendly working-together) in these forums going forward.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/21/12 2:29pm
Msg #444296

Eh... I disagree. My first dual tray printer was a refurbished unit I purchased from Office Depot for under $200. I still use that same printer and it hasn't given me any problems.

They aren't difficult to find nor that expensive if you know how to look.

Being in business requires investing in proper tools and equipment to do the job properly. Economizing is fine... but printing on all legal paper and using the excuse that you only have one tray makes no sense to me. It's a waste of money -- legal paper is expensive... you should only be printing documents on legal that call for it. The money you could save between printing on all legal vs. printing by page size could be set aside to buy a dual tray printer.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/21/12 2:39pm
Msg #444300

PS...

Here's a pretty decent, wireless, dual-tray printer for a great price, IMO... $350, and you can buy it online from tons of different retailers. Oh, and being wireless means you can print those PDFs from your smartphones... this printer supports that.

http://www.brother-usa.com/Printer/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=HL5470DWT

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 11/21/12 8:23pm
Msg #444333

My first dual tray - got from university surplus

A major university close to me has a store where the public can purchase all sorts of items that the university deems no longer needed and surplus. And I mean EVERYTHING - from tables, desks, printers (inkjet, laser, all-in-one priced from $35-$125), laptops, desktops (and just about every brand from Dell to Brother to Okidata), to lateral files to 4 drawer file cabinets (for $20 - $25) to framed art work for your office. The printer I got was a HP 2300. Got it about 3 years ago for $90. It was my primary printer until recently, and use it as my backup printer now. Not the fastest, but know with the HP name I depend on it as a workhorse.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 11/21/12 6:48pm
Msg #444322

Just as a point of information - many Brother single-tray printers can easily be configured as dual-tray by designating the MP tray (usually used for envelopes) as either a letter or legal size tray through the printer options. Since most docs are legal size and the MP tray is limited to about 50 sheets, I set my MP tray for letter size. Adobe never had a problem pulling the paper from the right tray.

I'm not sure if this works with HP or other printers, but if you're using a Brother printer it's a no-cost alternative to buying a second tray.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/21/12 7:49pm
Msg #444327

Good thought Mike..never thought of that

will have to give it a try..

I had my HP2200 set up that way - drop-down tray for letter, lower tray for legal..

Hrrmm..something to do over the weekend....

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 11/22/12 11:12am
Msg #444365

easy to do Linda. I have been doing this with newer Brother

printer because I didn't want the expense of second tray until I knew I liked the printer.

Reply by Barb25 on 11/21/12 1:29pm
Msg #444290

So "much ado about nothing."

But honestly, I have been doing this for nearly 12 years and when I get "one of these print on all legal" I pretty much am sure what they mean. However, I usually confirm that they really don't want "legal" docs for some other purpose. I am not suggesting everyone or anyone else do this but what's the big deal?

17 replies as opposed to the 14 replies to the "totally appalled" NSA/attorney in MA who brought up a more pressing issue, I would think. I would have love to hear more about that. But I guess not.

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/21/12 4:46pm
Msg #444318

I was told some time ago that my state, Oregon, accepts all docs on legal size at RECORDING TIME. Therefore I could always print on legal size. I have done this for quite some time now and have never had any problems with it coming back to me. So now I'm wondering, is this a state-by-state recording issue or ???????????????????????? I'm just asking!

I am not as computer literate as some so I have not yet figured out how to configure my computer to work with my two-tray printer. If I was able to figure it out, I would then print according to the doc size and save money buying just legal paper. I am not money flush enough at this time to hire a computer geek to set it up for me.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/21/12 4:54pm
Msg #444319

They probably do accept legal size paper for recording

but they charge extra for it - IME it's cheaper to record letter size than legal size pages.

When you print the DOT, does it cover the entire legal page? If not, and the printed portion ends substantially above the lower edge of the paper, I'd wager title/escrow is cutting the pages down to letter size before sending for recording.

JMO

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 11/21/12 11:19pm
Msg #444341

Karla ....

Post the brand and model of your printer on NR and ask the tekkies to help you set it up. At the very least, they'll steer you in the right direction. Also, you could try an orange button search to see if it's already been covered.

Reply by WINotary on 11/24/12 5:26pm
Msg #444520

I have a Epson Work Force 840. If anyone know how to set this up to automatically print both letter and legal automatically from each of the two trays, please contact me. I would love to learn as I too am not that much of a computer geek. Thank you!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/25/12 1:46am
Msg #444539

As far as I'm aware, recording is done on the county level, so it's more than just a state-by-state thing. I believe my county, for example, requires letter size, so any recordables printed on legal paper have to be trimmed to size before they can be recorded.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.