Notary Rotary
NPBC Certification Initiative on Notary Rotary
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by NVLSlady/VA on 11/6/12 9:16am
Msg #442343

Was there anyone else aware of the "initiative," per se? I like the sample letters to TCs & SSs, but not really sure how/when to use. https://www.notarypublicbackgroundcheck.com/support.asp?id=

One company gave me its BGC parameters (below) and referred me to a 3rd party service provider:
Federal Criminal
Social Security Verification
Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)
Sex Offender
Motor Vehicle

Are these pretty standard/compliant with what industry perceives as being needed? Also, the NotRot link above mentions "typical pricing of $39." Was that in the "old days?"

I recognize that the cost of the BGC here is not tied in with any membership fees (like the "dreaded" xyz organiz); but, have the NPBC sponsors come up with cheaper alternatives?

Reply by MW/VA on 11/6/12 2:28pm
Msg #442386

I never found to time to get involved, but I'm think that Renee/MI & Brenda/TX may have. The whole point is that the NR bgc should be accepted, and there's no way we should accept that a bgc should only be accepted it it's from XYZ, for instance.
I can't remember what I paid for the first bgc I had done, which was through XYZ. I know the one here for $39 is cheaper. If you do a search, I'm thinking some notaries have sources that it's available for free.

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 11/6/12 4:06pm
Msg #442406

That was a good quest, Marilynn. LexisNexis offers a free "full file disclosure" report annually.
FREE is always good! Thanks Smile

Reply by Harry [NR] on 11/6/12 4:51pm
Msg #442413

Thank you for pointing out the $39 pricing reference on the page you linked. The new price, except for New York, is $49. That was after our vendor dropped a $10 increase on us. The price for Premier Members is $29, which is below our cost. I have corrected the page.

The criteria you listed in connection with a 3rd party provider appears to be missing the county criminal searches. With the possible exception of MVR's, which are running about $15 each (ala carte), county searches are the single most expensive component of a background check. A check covering the items you have listed should be around $20 but, again, is missing the county-level searches.

If you can get a free consumer report from Lexis-Nexis that companies are willing to accept, that would obviously be the way to go. However, I'm not sure Lexis-Nexis pulls a current MVR (why would they pay state fees to provide you with a report for free that's not theirs?) nor whether they run county-level searches (again, since some counties still require court runners/manual research, why would they?). There's probably a big difference between simply showing you what's in their files vs. running all new reports, paying outside fees, etc. It doesn't make sense that they would do the latter, but I could be wrong.

Finally, going back to NPBC, we're not aware of any way to do this substantially cheaper than it's being done, otherwise we'd be doing it. The $49 covers vendor fees, site development and maintenance and the time we put into the training materials. It's pretty much running at break-even and was developed solely as an alternative, not as a money maker.

Harry
Notary Rotary

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 11/6/12 5:28pm
Msg #442422

This is the list on their info page (alpha-labeled by me):

What information will I receive in my LexisNexis Full File Disclosure?
The following is a description of the information that will be included in the LexisNexis Full File Disclosure packet that you receive:

a. Two C.L.U.E. Inc. C.L.U.E.® (Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange) Reports (one for Auto insurance and one for Property insurance) each of which summarizes insurance loss history information provided to LexisNexis Risk Solutions Inc. by participating insurance companies. This information is used by insurance carriers when you apply for auto or home insurance coverage.

b. Two LexisNexis Risk Solutions Inc. Current Carrier® Reports (one for Auto insurance and one for Property insurance) each of which summarizes historical personal automobile and homeowner insurance coverage information provided to LexisNexis Risk Solutions Inc. by participating insurance companies. This information is used by insurance carriers to confirm that you currently have home and/or auto insurance coverage as well as to identify any gaps in insurance coverage.

c. A LexisNexis Screening Solutions Inc. Background Report will be provided, which displays the results of a search of LexisNexis™ national criminal records file based on your name and personal information. Additional reports may be provided if you have worked, or applied to work, or have volunteered for a customer that uses LexisNexis Screening Solutions Inc. to create background reports as part of the hiring or volunteer selection process or during your employment or volunteer tenure. This disclosure may also include your personal credit information; [[your state driving record]]; an Esteem Report reflecting theft and shoplifting information if the employer requested this information as part of the background check.

d. A LexisNexis Screening Solutions Inc. Esteem® Report, which lists circumstances in which you have admitted to, or have been convicted of, theft while visiting or working at a retail company. This information is contributed to LexisNexis Screening Solutions Inc. by certain retail customers for use by other retail contributors in their hiring process.

e. A LexisNexis Screening Solutions Inc. Resident Screening Report that includes your personal credit information, eviction records and criminal records. You will only receive a Resident Screening Report if you have applied for a residence with a company that used LexisNexis Screening Solutions Inc. to create a background report on you as part of the resident screening process.

f. A LexisNexis Risk Solutions Bureau LLC. Banko Report, which may contain information regarding bankruptcies, tax liens and judgments and/ or evictions. Please note: this report will be mailed separately.

g. A LexisNexis Risk Solutions Bureau LLC. RiskView Consumer Disclosure Report, which contains your public record information including your personal information, bankruptcy, property owned, deeds owned, criminal and lien data (if applicable). Examples of the types of customers that obtain RiskView services include banks, credit unions, credit bureaus and car dealerships. Please note: this report will be mailed separately.

h. A LexisNexis Risk Solutions Inc. Life Electronic Inspection Report which contains your public record information including your personal information, bankruptcy, property owned, criminal, professional license and watercraft data. Please note: this report will be mailed separately.
A LexisNexis Risk Solutions Inc. Loss Damage Waiver Report which contains your public record information including your personal information, bankruptcy, property owned, criminal, professional license and watercraft data. Please note: this report will be mailed separately.

Not sure if the MVR contains same data as "driving record" in item 'c'

At any rate, the $29 BGC (member fee) is a sweet deal - just don't want to keep shelling out . . .

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.