Notary Rotary
Name Affidavit
Notary Discussion History

Name Affidavit
Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by pat/WA on 11/17/12 11:14am
Msg #443754

Name Affidavit

Do you notarize the AKA Affidavit if the signer has no ID in the also known as names?

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/17/12 11:28am
Msg #443759

Um.... no.

The AKA affidavit is just a written statement, signed by a single person. You notarize the signature of the person on the statement.

So if it says (more or less),

-----------------------
I swear/affirm that my name is John Doe and that I might also be known as:

John D. Doe
John Dilbert Dole
Jonathan Dole
Johnathan Doe

Signed,

John Doe
---------------------

You would then notarize John Doe's signature.

Reply by pat/WA on 11/17/12 12:05pm
Msg #443767

No
It says this is to certify that Jane Doe and Jane Ann Doe are one and the same person, this name affadvit is completed in connection with documents to obtain a first mortgage loan on subject property
Please sign each way name appears

Please sign each way name a ppears

No where does it say might also be.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/17/12 12:11pm
Msg #443770

Well, mine was just an example...

Looks like the form you have is just poorly written. No shock there.

You can only notarize the signature according to the ID you have, right? I'm not sure about WA rules, but the way that reads, it's as if they're asking YOU as the notary to certify they are the same person.

Am I mistaken?

Reply by Roger_OH on 11/17/12 12:12pm
Msg #443771

It's as Marian said, Pat. The signer may have 10 different former names. They are only signing to confirm the the AKA names are correct (or they are not kown as that name). You do not have to notarize all the sample signatures for all the AKAs - only the affiants' signature that the names are (or have been) also them.

Someone is not going to have an ID for a maiden name from 10 years ago...

Reply by pat/WA on 11/17/12 12:21pm
Msg #443772

That is happening to me. The lady has been married for 59 years and has no ID in her maiden name.
The Name Affidavit AKa is required. The maiden name is on the AKA for her signature and notarization

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/17/12 1:14pm
Msg #443778

You notarize the signature of the person ID'd in front

of you...THAT person is certifying that they were also known as all those other names...only one person is certifying it though..the one in front of you with the ID....and your cert will reflect the name of the person who appeared before you.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 11/17/12 1:22pm
Msg #443779

You can only notarize the signature for which she has ID.

The fact that she is also signing with an AKA (her married name) is beside the point; it's irrelevant to what you do as a notary, beyond the fact you're giving her an oath in which she swears/affirms she's also known by another name(s). The woman you ID'd is certifying that she is also known by another name. You are still notarizing the signature for which she has ID. The fact that they want her to sign her maiden name or any other name(s) she may also be known by has nothing to do with your identification rules/process. No one is expecting you to notarize an AKA signature, especially one for which nobody has ID.

Reply by bagger on 11/17/12 1:53pm
Msg #443780

O for God's sake, here we go again over-thinking.

Most of those AKA's are from filling out credit apps.
If Jane Doe fills out a credit app, and the clerical person enters Jena Doe in the database, then Jane Doe is AKA Jena Doe.
I had one, (name's are made up).
Tom Jones
AKA Tommy Jones
AKA Thomas Jones
AKA T Jones
AKA Fred Smith !!!

I did a classic double take, and Tom explained it to me.
Seems Fred Smith filled out a credit app at Sears and transposed 2 digits on his SS#, which matched Tom's SS.

He has been trying to get it straightened out for 15 years with no luck.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/17/12 4:45pm
Msg #443798

Fist bump. n/m

Reply by VT_Syrup on 11/18/12 12:52pm
Msg #443881

Not all states require notary to ID signer for oaths

Although all states require the notary to establish the identity of the signer for an acknowledgement, not all states require the notary to establish the identity of an affiant for an oath. I believe the traditional rule was that it was not required, so I take the silence on the matter in my state law to mean I'm not required to establish the identity of an affiant.

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/17/12 2:29pm
Msg #443786

Pat, thanks for asking this question. It has been a quandary for me at times too.

What I have seen on this doc that confuses me is the following:

State of Oregon
County of Lane

(A statement and then a signature line saying this is my customary and usual signature)

Then they list the AKA's

Following the list of AKA's I see the following:

State of Oregon
County of Lane

and then the rest of the notary fill-in areas (date, signature line, stamp area, etc.)

WHY ARE THERE TWO VENUES LISTED??? It gives me the feeling that it should be notarized at the top and then again at the bottom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply by pat/WA on 11/17/12 5:10pm
Msg #443801

I have been notarizing at the top and at the bottom. I don't know if this is correct but no one has ever complained.
Personally I would rather just notarize the top

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/17/12 5:24pm
Msg #443806

I do believe you only sign and stam under your

notarial wording "Subscribed and sworn to" or "Acknowledged"...no? You wouldn't sign and stamp in two places..

Reply by pat/WA on 11/17/12 5:50pm
Msg #443810

Re: I do believe you only sign and stam under your

The ones I have seen have two acknowledgements on for the signature and one for the AKA

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/17/12 9:49pm
Msg #443851

Re: I do believe you only sign and stam under your

Is this from a Chase package? If so, just treat the two sections as two separate docs. As the others have suggested, it's the BORROWER who is certifying as to the different names, not you. You're just notarizing their signature.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/17/12 6:05pm
Msg #443816

If there are two complete certificates, I complete both.

I can't tell from this thread if that is what there is or not.

Reply by Clem/CA on 11/18/12 2:38pm
Msg #443888

Case skips this sometimes

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.