New to Notary
Notary Discussion History

New to Notary
Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by Wennifer Beard on 11/7/12 12:59pm
Msg #442521

New to Notary

Hello All,

I'm just starting out in the notary business and I wanted to know if you guys had any tips or advise on how to get my business up and running. I'm in Riverside, CA. Also do you advise that I take the signing agent training? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 11/7/12 1:04pm
Msg #442522

Lately this question seems to be asked on a daily basis - see Msg #442261 from yesterday.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 11/7/12 1:04pm
Msg #442523

oops - it was from 2 days ago n/m

Reply by Wennifer Beard on 11/7/12 1:27pm
Msg #442528

Re: oops - it was from 2 days ago

Thanks

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 11/7/12 1:08pm
Msg #442524

Hello. Yes, you'll find PLENTY of tips & advice here -and then some Smile
Just use the Orange 'Search' button ("newbie") and you'll find out more than you probably want to know! As for training, notaries doing GNW (general notary work) will not need; study your state notary handbook for that.

If you're deciding to dub yourself a notary signing agent (NSA) as so MANY of your peers before you have done, YES YES YES take the signing agent training! I can tell you, you will have formidable forces to reckon with in the lovely state of CA.

Welcome. May your inquiries be well-researched in advance and your answers fruitful . . .

Reply by Wennifer Beard on 11/7/12 1:28pm
Msg #442529

Thanks for the advise. You are right there is a lot of info on this site.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 11/7/12 10:10pm
Msg #442578

We have 159,500 notaries in CA for 37 million people

If you are not working on a regular basis as a loan-signer in CA you are just not marketing
yourself correctly.

You don't hear notaries on this website (CA only) complain they are not busy; the phone is ringing off the hook.

Lots of other states have way too many notaries but we have put almost no one into the loan signing business in over 4 years.

I taught a notary class today and we had 2 people that came from the mortgage industry (and that is more than most classes) and I had 2 students who signed up for a loan signing class.

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/7/12 4:18pm
Msg #442542

Wennifer, I DID take a NSA certification course when I began because I had no real estate or banking background. I was clueless about going out and signing mortgage documents. I was a notary for a few years prior to starting the NSA work and that helped as far as the actual notarization part of the docs.

I suggest you definitely take a course and read like crazy on this site on a DAILY basis. I learn something new everyday from the posts that help me to do a better job each time I have a signing appointment.

Go into "Signing Central" (see the blue tab above) and review all the different companies that can potentially provide you work. Be sure to look at the number of start to the left of their name - you do not want to deal with these companies - other notaries have and rate them poorly by the number of stars shown - reasons could range from low ball pay, slow pay, no pay, difficult to work with, etc..

I LOVE doing this work as many NSA's will attest to. It is interesting visiting an array of homes and people. It is rewarding helping the borrowers get one step closer to completing their home sale, re-fi, or whatever they are doing.

Best of luck!

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/7/12 4:22pm
Msg #442543

Sorry, mistype: 3rd paragraph should be "number of STARS" not "start."

Reply by Wennifer Beard on 11/7/12 4:59pm
Msg #442545

Thanks for the info. I have registered for a class on Dec 3. in my area. I will continue to study my materials. I am a little nervous because I'm starting something new. However with all the info that is posted on this forum, I'm sure Ill be ok. Thanks again.

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/8/12 11:17am
Msg #442613

Wennifer, something else I thought of: take time to review the docs before heading for the signing to familiarize yourself with them. The more you do this the more you will memorize what and where to sign on the docs. I began using "Sign Here" stickies which helped a bit - then I read a post here on Not/Rot that said this is a good way to miss something. The sticky could fall off in transit or you may only be looking at that location and miss another area to sign. Now I only use a few in certain area that I want my attention drawn to at the signing table (i.e., initials at the bottom of the page).

Do not be afraid to ask questions of the SS/Title company vs. guessing. They are usually grateful that you did!

Lastly, review, review, review the docs before shipping them back after the signing. This is sooo critical. You can catch a missed signature or initials and quickly get it rectified before sending it back. We are human and all make mistakes, admittedly I have done my share. Seems to have happened when I did not take control at the table or somehow did not thoroughly review the docs before sending them back. SS/TC's can not afford mistakes plus it is most embarrassing and humiliating (to me anyway) when I make them. Just have your head in the game an you will do well.

Best of luck! Karla

Reply by John/CT on 11/7/12 6:33pm
Msg #442554

Stongly suggest you search on Msg 33325. An excellent starting point. Be sure to read the entire thread.

Reply by Wennifer Beard on 11/8/12 8:01pm
Msg #442694

I have read all the messages and it has been a tremendous help. Thanks to all of you for your help and support. All of you guys are wonderful!Smile

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.