Notary Rotary
Shipping scam . . .
Notary Discussion History

Shipping scam . . .
Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by Karla/OR on 11/25/12 11:48pm
Msg #444587

Shipping scam . . .

The following is part of an article in my local newspaper today (Sunday). As notaries we will probably never get this type of an e-mail or call because we are not the "TO" or "FROM" party on the air bill. I think the article is still worth noting, however, as the lender/title could call you in the event this happens to them:

An e-mail pops up saying that "Your parcel has been returned to the UPS office nearest to you." It asks you to click on the link to provide a mobile number. It has a tracking number.

Susan Rosenberg, public relations manager for UPS in Atlanta, said UPS is not going to send an e-mail asking for a cell phone number out of the blue. Scam artists may phone you to say UPS is waiting to deliver a package but needs your credit card.

She said UPS may send official notification messages on occasion but an official UPS e-mail is rarely going to include attachments. A representative will always provide a tracking number, which you can use on the UPS website. But even that can be tricky; one fraud e-mail that a reader saw had a tracking number. See www.ups.com/fraudprotection. Send suspicious UPS e-mail to [e-mail address].

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 11/26/12 5:27am
Msg #444588

I have seen several of those emails. I just ignore them.

Reply by BrendaTx on 11/26/12 6:51am
Msg #444589

Me, too, Shoshana.

However, I think about my mother's new found pastime with the computer and although she would not give out a credit card # (I don't think!), there are thousands of senior internet noobs who would.

Reply by 101livescan on 11/26/12 7:38am
Msg #444590

Tis that time of year...I know exactly when I have packages coming in and don't fall for this. Folks thinking, oh someone is sending me a Christmas gift might just jump right on it.

Gotta have your ears up all the time...scary. Having spent Thanksgiving with my 86 year old mother has me wondering...she has every credit card on the planet.

Reply by jba/fl on 11/26/12 7:57am
Msg #444596

My 85 yr. old mother also has every credit card on the planet as well. She does not use the internet, but that phone can be very busy if I let it. I put her on the "do not call" list, and check it off and on to be sure she is still there. Because she has outlived her friends, she thinks (perhaps not consciously) that anyone calling is a friend and has her best interests at heart. We have also cut her catalog list as well - less junk coming to the house, less chance of her giving out phone number, which we then have to reverse....she is a job in herself.

Point of this: do your parents a favor. Do yourself a favor too - when online, search, browse, and visit with a throw away email address....be anonymous. One day you will be having this junk too. Stop it now....it is called prevention.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/26/12 7:51am
Msg #444593

For those of us who are savvy to scam emails, this one

has been around for a while. I usually forward the email to the cos. involved. Most of them have a place to report phishing & fraud.

Reply by James Morgan on 11/26/12 10:05am
Msg #444609

You can also report it to: [e-mail address] n/m

Reply by ToniK on 11/26/12 11:17am
Msg #444623

I get these about 2 a day

but its automatically sent to my spam folder. I dont ship UPS and dont buy anything that comes UPS. matter of fact I dont buy much anyways.

Reply by ShipTropolis on 12/7/12 7:29pm
Msg #445849

Ask the Title or Escrow company to sign-up with ShipTropolis.com so you can print UPS and Fedex labels on demand on their account.

1. ShipTropolis.com is secure for the title/escrow company.
2. It's easy for notaries to quickly create labels on demand.
3. It ensures the notary doesn't get wrongfully stuck with the shipping cost.

Disclaimer: I work for ShipTropolis

Cheers,
Bob

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.