Notary Rotary
Thanks to all those that posted about Lockerz boxes
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by Jessica Ward on 11/27/12 9:04pm
Msg #444826

I've been wrestling with terrible shoulder pain for almost 12 months, to the point that I have a surgeon eager to cut on it, but nothing appears to be wrong with it.

I've been using a briefcase like you'd use for a laptop computer, and I finally got myself an early Christmas present and got a Lockerz box with wheels and a handle.

Here's hoping this helps with the shoulder.

By the way, Office Depot had a pretty good deal on them. I got the smaller of the legal sized boxes with wheels (I want to still be able to lift the blasted thing).

Reply by CopperheadVA on 11/27/12 9:18pm
Msg #444831

<< I've been wrestling with terrible shoulder pain for almost 12 months >>

I find this very interesting - I have had neck pain and shoulder pain on my writing arm side for about 1 -2 years. I had blamed it on an injury I experienced in 2004 but after physical therapy earlier this year I had an epiphany and realized that I was experiencing my current body pain because of my posture - standing posture and sitting posture. I realized that I spent a great deal of time hunched over docs, completing my notary certificates. I am now making a conscious effort to keep my back erect while working up a package or completing a loan signing. While driving, I try to keep my back erect with my shoulder blades touching the front of the seat.

I no longer go to physical therapy but I continue to do the strengthening exercises. I wonder how many other notary signing agents are experiencing back/neck/shoulder/arm pain?

Reply by Jessica Ward on 11/27/12 9:57pm
Msg #444833

For me the pain is opposite my writing arm, but I do notice I lean on it when I have "desk time" at my own desk.

Also, I often carry that briefcase by the shoulder strap which I think is a big part of it.

The pain seems to get worse when I spend a lot of time driving.

I did a lot of posture and core strengthening work with a physical therapist when I messed up my back two years ago--I've been doing a lot better since then, but I have learned that once you've strengthened a specific place, then adjoining areas can be compromised because they're not supported as well as the newly strengthened bit.

Food for thought. I was going to try some swimming to see if that would help--but I hate turning the phone off for so long. This business is tough that way.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/28/12 6:40am
Msg #444865

Thanks, Linda. You've really touched on something (no pun

intended). I have Fibromyalgia, and this biz almost kills me--sitting at the computer, printing, hunched over docs at signing, driving. It's all about posture issues, and it is the neck & low back that take the strain. Thanks for posting this.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 11/27/12 11:39pm
Msg #444842

For all of you who have this chronic pain, I have 2 suggestions for you. I learned a few months ago that my chronic pain is to the inflammation in my body. Try mega doses of Omega 3's and take 2 drops of frankincense under the tongue 3 times a day.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 11/28/12 12:35am
Msg #444852

OT: Interesting facts on chronic inflammation

Both times that I've been in Africa it has gone away entirely. As it turns out, the pain went away because of the malaria medication I was taking--the same drug given to lupus patients here.

Now I take a high dose of a malaria medication every day that helps prevent really disruptive flares of inflammation. (I also wear 70 SPF sunscreen every day, rain or shine--especially on my wrists, which sunburn when I'm driving).

Science is amazing. Apparently, with this medication, the malaria larvae are thwarted by the drug because it tightens up the inner membrane of the blood cells, making it impenetrable. That same function seems to be what prevents T-cells from destroying platelets. T-cells are the reactive cells produced by autoimmune reactions that cause the painful inflammation responses and joint damage.

I get quite a benefit out of a drug that just costs about fourty cents per month. And if Seattle ever gets a malaria outbreak, I'll be safe!

I've never tried your suggestions, but eating gluten-free and daily aspirin do wonders for me also.

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 11/28/12 7:43am
Msg #444870

Re: OT: Interesting facts on chronic inflammation

Glad it works for you. I would not take malaria medication unless I had to. Drugs only mask the symptoms but do nothing for the underlying cause. I have heard that a gluten free diet works well.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 11/28/12 12:02pm
Msg #444913

Re: OT: Interesting facts on chronic inflammation

Actually, with this medication, it prevents the damage, because the T-cells can't destroy the platelets. The drug sort of creates an armor effect.

I've never had side effects beyond the first three days (The first three days of anti-malaria meds I always get REALLY wacky dreams).

Reply by JENNY/TX on 11/28/12 12:07am
Msg #444845

Jessica, do you happen to have a link?

Thanks.
Jenny

Reply by Jessica Ward on 11/28/12 12:27am
Msg #444850

Correction: "VAULTZ" boxes

Here's the link--this has been posted many times here, and I've looked at them a few times but wasn't quite ready to take the plunge. The one I got isn't as big as this one (think 1/2 capacity). It was also about $60. I've seen them listed for as much as $125.

Reply by JENNY/TX on 11/28/12 1:07am
Msg #444856

Re: Correction: "VAULTZ" boxes

Thanks Jessica. I kept putting in lockerz and getting nothing.

Jenny

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/28/12 5:46am
Msg #444860

Yup, it's definitely VAULTZ, not Lockerz...

Quite a few of us use the Vaultz boxes. I don't use the rolling one myself, but I know a few that do.

I use the legal size tote. I get tons of compliments on it. People always think it's so serious looking. I like it because it has two combination locks.

See: http://www.vaultz.net/file-boxes-and-totes/vaultz-vz01189-black-locking-personal-file-tote-legal.html

THey have several other seizes and configurations, though.

This is the one on wheels:

http://www.vaultz.net/file-boxes-and-totes/vaultz-vz01270-black-locking-mobile-file-chest-letter-legal-black.html

I originally bought mine from Office Depot.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 11/28/12 1:39pm
Msg #444935

Are these Vaultz waterproof?

How do they do in the rain?

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 11/28/12 8:09am
Msg #444872

How much do they weigh?

That's a big concern for me.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 11/28/12 12:00pm
Msg #444912

The wheeled ones are heavy.

They are heavy. Mine is the rolling legal file--it's about 8" deep, rather than the one that is the size of a file box.

I just put it on the scale and it comes in at 8.5 pounds empty. My briefcase was 5 I think, empty.

The wheel assembly is unnaturally heavy. I just bought some SERIOUS luggage yesterday for my kids for Christmas--Heys hardside spinner cases--and they are substantially lighter than this box.

Thus far, the wheel assembly is my only criticism of this case. I think the wheels weigh about 2x what they should.

I did notice that if you buy the big legal case, it comes with a free camera case (that I'd love to have as I hate my soft sided camera bag. I may look at that as a later edition if I end up loving this case).

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 11/28/12 12:52pm
Msg #444926

Re: The wheeled ones are heavy.

I do not like rolling cases. Been there, done that. Bo looks and asks if I am spending the weekend! Right now I have a canvas attache bag and a canvas messenger bag. I think I'll stick with those.

Reply by Jessica Ward on 11/28/12 1:08pm
Msg #444930

It doesn't look like luggage, which is good.

This thing looks a little more like a vault, and less like luggage. It also has a nice handle on top so it doesn't have to be drug up stairs, etc.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.