Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
The closing from Hell or was it my fault?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by grapebed on 11/8/12 7:44pm
Msg #442690

I just completed the closing from hell. Was it my fault for not bailing out earlier in the day? It would have saved me a lot of aggravation. Should I expect or ask for addition $$$ from T/C?

I was called at 11:00AM to do a 12:00noon closing. I said "OK", but please change time to 12:30PM. I was assured that the docs were ready.

The first set of Docs arrived at 4:00pm. I did the closing, but noticed that the Right to Cancel was missing. I contacted T/C. It turns out the entire package was wrong. The borrower called the bank. I worked with the T/C to fix the problem.

The second ( and correct) set of documents were emailed to the borrower's home email around 6:15pm. The borrower printed off the docs from their printer. I conducted a second closing, raced to get the docs to Fedex before the last pick-up ( 7:30PM). I made the last pick-up. The borrowers were happy to get the closing done with the correct package. It was a very LONG day for me.

What would you have done and what should I do? ( besides get over it)

Reply by PegiT_MN on 11/8/12 8:16pm
Msg #442696

OMG.....rough day! What do you mean was it your fault? The only thing that was your fault is that you were too nice and wanted to see it through. I commend you on that......but being nice doesn't pay our bills. These companies will walk all over you if you let them. I would have bailed. As much as I love the borrowers and want to help them get their paperwork signed, I can't wait around for a signing that may not happen.....I have other signings to go to and money to be made. Some of these title companies think you are going to sit around all day at their beck and call waiting for late docs, wrong docs to be corrected for your $100.00 fee. It doesn't work like that in my business. I would definitely expect to be paid more money from the T/C. You wasted your whole day on their one signing. Is this a title company that you work for on a regular basis? If so, they should totally pay you more money.....no questions asked.....after all they monopolized your entire day. If this is one of those title companies that found you on notary rotary and you have never worked for them, you will probably need to let them know that you do expect to be compensated for the fact that you wasted your entire day on this, and if it wasn't for you, this signing never would have taken place.

Good luck!

Reply by MW/VA on 11/8/12 8:39pm
Msg #442700

It happens that way sometimes. A true professional will

try to see it through, if your schedule permits. I hope you were paid accordingly.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 11/8/12 9:24pm
Msg #442710

Re: It happens that way sometimes. A true professional will

I agree with Marilyn..A professional will try and see it through if time allows..But a true professional will also know when to call it a day and get paid well for their services!

Reply by LKT/CA on 11/8/12 10:39pm
Msg #442713

<<<The first set of Docs arrived at 4:00pm. I did the closing, but noticed that the Right to Cancel was missing. I conducted a second closing, raced to get the docs to Fedex before the last pick-up...>>>

Sounds like you printed and ran. The signing was long past the original appt, therefore, reviewing the package was no loss of time. Aggravation usually comes with printing and running. You didn't have to bail out if you, in fact, did want to complete the closing. But it would definitely benefit your business to have parameters in place when docs aren't ready.

Reply by C. Rivera Chicago Notary Services on 11/8/12 10:40pm
Msg #442714

I give schedulers a two hour min wait time for docs and if these are not ready on time, I cancel. Not personal, just business.

It's not a power trip or a pride thing, just simply economics in that I can NOT afford to wait around for docs that may or may not come in time before the scheduled appointment as the nsa has to consider the distance and time it will take to get to the appt.

It amazes me how some SS or TC seem to believe 10 miles is like around the corner and takes only 10 min to get there!?

Additionally, when docs are not sent on time to nsa's and they are left having to "wait" for these, they are potentially cheating themselves of potential or additional closings.

Idk, had it been me, and depending on who my client was, I most likely would've left after being told the whole package had to be reprinted because at that point, I wasted half the day on a dead closing. I'd also charge a print and trip fee.

IMO, by agreeing to stay until 6:15pm, and then allowing the BO to print out the 2nd set of docs, you basically got robbed. You could've went home, reprinted the docs, and then charge an add'l nsa fee.

We are self-employed, right? Not a charity, right? So why give these SS or TC charity work, when you know THEY are getting paid!

I would ask for at least $50 bucks more because of your efforts...maybe you might get lucky?

Reply by grapebed on 11/8/12 11:07pm
Msg #442718

I will post tomorrow any $$$ to be received from T/C n/m

Reply by HSH/WA on 11/9/12 11:50am
Msg #442770

Re: I will post tomorrow any $$$ to be received from T/C

Some questions would be: how much business does this TC give you? Were you missing other signing jobs? Could you have increased your fee when you found out the whole pkage was wrong? Now that the job is done is this the best time to ask for more money or when you found out you were going to be waiting for a new pkage and a new signing? A week from now no one will remember the NSA who spent too many hours getting a signing done. I hope you get more money, and am waiting to hear.

Reply by HrdwrkrVA on 11/9/12 12:16pm
Msg #442773

Amen to what others said. You CAN be too nice &

accommodating in this industry. The TCs will walk over you. I too used to deal w/ that kind of CRAP when I first started 10 yrs ago. No more! True, you should ask for the extra $$$ BEFORE printing the 2nd set, but what other industry expects someone to be @ their beck & call ALL DAY???

I used to work w/ a TC/SS out of Ohio & they pulled that crap: docs for a 9/10 am signing was ready @ 9pm! All day they kept saying 45 min; 1hr, etc The BO said 'no - she had to go to work'. Since that day, if docs aren't ready (even if they say'30-45 min') ), I ALWAYS accept new signings & put the late TC at the end of the line. If the docs come past MY cutoff time I tell them I have AM appts or it's just TOO DOGGONE LATE!

Bottom line: you can be cordial, but NOT nice; nice SA's finish last - broke & behind the 8-ball b/c of someone else's ineptitude.

If you don't get compensated, PLEASE post so we can either steer clear of this incompetent org or be on our toes.

Good Luck - we're all behind you!

Reply by SharonMN on 11/9/12 1:12pm
Msg #442782

I was called at 11:00AM to do a 12:00noon closing. I said "OK", but please change time to 12:30PM. I was assured that the docs were ready. The first set of Docs arrived at 4:00pm.

Well, here's your problem right here. I would have turned the closing back by 12:30 at the latest and told me to contact me when ready and I would do it if I had availability.

I also would never have tried to make a 7:30 FedEx pickup with docs that weren't even sent until 6:15.

Assuming you sat with the borrowers and signed both packages, you should be paid your normal closing fee x 2, plus one set of edocs. It's certainly not your fault that they sent the wrong documents.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.