Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Trip fee, No-Sign fee, etc. Lets talk fees please??
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by sigtogo/OR on 11/17/12 11:34pm
Msg #443861

two loan signings today for same company. Since they were one after the other and going to save me about 30 minutes drive time over two separate loans I accepted a slightly lower fee. (yea my first mistake.)
Scheduler tells me docs will arrive around 10:30 which is what the tracking said last night but of course they arrive at 1pm and they are wet and damaged. I salvage a set using BO copies race to the first signing which goes fine and talk to the second signers several times during the day. Call second BO as I am on the way, she's good. Get there, pull out the docs, I have Hud dated yesterday, no biggie, but note, dot, and RTC dated the 19th! Ro ro!! ask the BO if she had LO phone # and she proceeds to tell me she spoke with LO earlier in the day and had been told not to sign anything today!!!! say again? I call the LO and yep she had spoken with her but didn't bother to call me or tell the BO to tell me not to come!! aargh!

So now I am supposed to go back Monday and will have an additional 30 minutes drive time. I have already spent 30 minutes with them since it took them 20 to clean off the grossly dirty table and find ID's, another 10 to reach LO and depart.
SS says they will give me a whopping $25 for my trouble!!

how much is fair?

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/18/12 3:28am
Msg #443869

Donna~ I feel your frustration and I have felt the same as you before in just getting trip and/or print fee - in your case just trip fee since no printing was necessary.

Last time a similar situation happened to me, they offered me an extra $25 for "my troubles" when they called to re-schedule to go back out. I hadn't asked for any extra, they just offered it to me - I was happy and flabbergasted all at the same time!!

Perhaps they would let loose of some extra $ if you were to ask before going out Monday. I wouldn't have the b!@@# to ask for it myself, but if you feel you deserve more than certainly ask for it. Hopefully they will say yes, but of course they may refuse too.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/18/12 7:34am
Msg #443871

I guess my first question is how far are you driving in that

30 minutes? For me, 30 minutes one way will take me 15 miles - so $25 to drive 30 miles (rt) is just under $.85/mile not counting time. For me the $25 might be fair enough. Obviously, If you have to drive farther in that 30 minutes, that will cut the per mile fee and you might have to ask for more. You can't charge the company for a dirty table - but you CAN warn the people that you'll need that table clear again.

I'm more concerned with closing number one and having to reconstruct the package. IME when companies overnight docs and include a borrower's copy, that borrower's copy does not contain all the docs that the signed package contains. Were you able to totally duplicate the main package from the borrower's copy? If not, you may be looking at a resign and possibly an issue with the company if the package they get back is incomplete (I'm hoping this doesn't happen to you). And if you were able to reconstruct a full signing package, did you not make another copy to leave with borrower? If you did, I believe you're owed a fee for making that copy - another $25.00... Smile

Good luck

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 11/18/12 12:08pm
Msg #443875

Re: I guess my first question is how far are you driving in that

Its not so much about the gas or distance for me, auto expense maybe $10, it’s the time.
First, I show up for a job as instructed and it’s a no-sign = loss of income. If I had been scheduled correctly in the beginning, it would have been two separate jobs, one Saturday and one Monday. I would not have accepted a two for less $$ assignment if they weren’t back to back.

Secondly, If docs weren’t late and so damaged I would have had time to review before arrival. Why a TC would send an 8 lb pkg of critical docs in a flimsy plastic wrap with no protection is just plain nuts! And, IMO they should suffer the loss not me. The whole idea of not printing to me is I spend less time on the job along with saving print fee. But with these I had to flip through page by page, for about 50 pages of 200 page pkg, to swap out the bad ones for good ones from BO pkg. And like you, Linda, I could not trust BO copy was a complete set. Even if it was a complete set, some of their copy pkg was of such poor print quality, that I didn’t think it wise to use. And, yes I had to print a clean hud for BO, but other than that they got dried out and wrinkled pages but very readable.

So, another lesson learned: no firm appointment until I see docs. Refinement to my agreement to revisit fee if anything other than original assignment. Live and learn!!
Moving on. thanks for listening

Reply by jba/fl on 11/18/12 5:44pm
Msg #443901

Welcome to what many of us have already done, somewhere

along the road in notary kingdom. This is one of those "defining moments" for future procedure. You made it in one piece.....that's good!

Reply by Lee/AR on 11/18/12 12:41pm
Msg #443879

No fee breaks due to proximity...now you know why.

Every fee stands on its own. Any benefits that MAY happen are yours (because something usually screws up the grand plan). There are just too many more ways for it to go wrong than the one & only way it can go right.

Reply by Jennifer Jackson on 11/19/12 3:34am
Msg #443957

UGH! I hate that! I think that we should get FULL fee because you could have taken another signing during that time period.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.