Notary Rotary
Unusual request
Notary Discussion History

Unusual request
Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by Ali/IL on 11/15/12 5:52pm
Msg #443542

Unusual request

I got a call today from a tc.I live right on the border of two states. Borrower wants to meet in the state that they don't live in. Want to make a 1 1/2 road trip to see me. Wife is citizen but, husband which is a non citizen has a passport.

I just wonder why they would want to meet so far from home? Don't know if it was because title couldn't find anyone near them.

Reply by Ali/IL on 11/15/12 6:00pm
Msg #443544

Just talked to borrower. Reason they want to meet in Wisconsin versus Illinois is that they say that they tried closing in Illinois but, because husband's visa is expired and passport is from Poland they cannot use as an id. And, they were told that Wisconsin would allow it.

They are rescheduling anyway because I am the only one that they have heard from and, have to work tomorrow.

I will research that anyway.

Reply by Carolyn Bodley on 11/15/12 8:28pm
Msg #443568

Are you commissioned in Wisconsin? n/m

Reply by Buddy Young on 11/15/12 11:38pm
Msg #443579

You can only do it if you are commissioned in the other state.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/15/12 11:43pm
Msg #443580

I don't think that's true, Buddy.... they were asking to go in to Ali's state to have the work done, so there wouldn't be an issue with that. That's like having a couple who lives in Nevada come in to California and asking a California notary to perform a notarization for them inside California state lines.

I suppose there are plenty of good reasons for it... and ID restrictions from one state to another make the most sense. If one state is rather strict about their ID requirements, but a neighboring one is not, I don't see the issue with going to another state provided that while in the state where the notarizations take place it is done according to that state's rules.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/15/12 11:46pm
Msg #443581

BTW... I misread what you said, Buddy. Smile You were right. Long day. Eyes crossing.

The others right... as long as YOU are commissioned in the state where they want it done, no big deal.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.