Notary Rotary
Unusuall request
Notary Discussion History

Unusuall request
Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by Buddy Young on 11/18/12 5:42pm
Msg #443899

Unusuall request

A young man called me to notarize signatures on a divorce agreement.
I met them down town at a burger joint. There were 3 young people there, the husband and wife and a friend who typed up the agreement. After asking them if they knew what they were signing and if they were signing of their own free will, I looked at the ID's. The husbands was expired by 3 years so I refused because he didn't have valid ID. I said to them " credible witnesses won't work because they would have to swear or affirm that he reasonbaly couldn't get another one". The friend said he hasn't worked for the last three years. I said that wouldn't work either because three years is enough time to get another ID.

I wonder who's been feeding him the last three years.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/18/12 5:45pm
Msg #443902

"I said to them " credible witnesses won't work because they would have to swear or affirm that he reasonbaly couldn't get another one". The friend said he hasn't worked for the last three years"

Please 'splain what not working has to do with no ID??? I'm more worried about what this friend put in the paperwork!! I hope these people looked it over really really closely.

Good Grief.

Reply by jba/fl on 11/18/12 5:57pm
Msg #443904

They probably didn't even know about credible witnesses till Buddy told them.................

Not working, no money, no need to renew ID. Maybe they have better mass transportation than we do; if so, why drive and have car w/it's expenses.

Reply by ikando on 11/18/12 6:21pm
Msg #443908

Julie, haven't we discussed that driving is not the only reason to have an ID? And this instance is only one of many.

Reply by jba/fl on 11/18/12 7:54pm
Msg #443926

We sure have discussed this and all the whys and wherefores as to why, but re-read Buddy's post - they were 3 young people who met him re: divorce agreement or something along those lines and the friend did the paperwork at their direction and Buddy remarked: who was feeding the one. The probably are of the variety that typically think that these things only happen to other people, not themselves. Anyway, that was what I read into the comments as to the situation at hand.

Reply by Jennifer Jackson on 11/19/12 3:29am
Msg #443954

lol...yes. please 'splain

Reply by MikeC/TX on 11/18/12 7:06pm
Msg #443917

Was the friend a lawyer, or at least a law student? If not, what he did was probably UPL - you can't "type up" a divorce agreement unless it's dictated to you by one of the parties involved, and these three folks don't sound like they're the sharpest pencils in the box... Even if they had valid ID, you would probably be better off not getting involved.

CA must have some sort of official non-driver ID, no? Not everyone has or needs a driver's license, but trying to survive these days without a valid ID is almost impossible.

Reply by Buddy Young on 11/18/12 7:28pm
Msg #443920

California does have ID cards for people who don't drive. Also elderly seniors who no longer drive can get a senior ID card from the department of motor vehicles.

Yes I'm glad I didn't have to notarize. It probably was UPL by the young man who drew up the doc but I'm sure he didn't know better which is no excuse. The contents of the doc are of no concern to us we only notarize signatures. We can even notarize signatures on documents that are in a foriegn language.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/18/12 7:41pm
Msg #443922

Not necessarily UPL...anyone can type divorce papers

Even the two parties probably could have done it themselves.

However, here in FL, if a non-attorney helps them fill out the paperwork in any way they have to complete a section at the end of the petition which includes their name, address, telephone number, capacity, etc etc.

People would have been better off just doing it without a third party involved.

Reply by LKT/CA on 11/18/12 8:06pm
Msg #443928

Because I do three times the GNW than loan signings, I always ask whether the signers have an UNEXPIRED driver's license, state ID card, or passport. I NEVER ask if they have unexpired *ID*. I specify "driver's license, state ID, or passport".

You have to catch a lot of this during the phone call or you'll waste your time....and time certainly is money. And to answer an earlier question, CA does have a state ID for non-drivers issued by the DMV. It looks EXACTLY like the DL, except it says "Identification" across the top. A driver is allowed to also get a state ID card....the serial/registration numbers are the same. I have both a state ID card and driver's license.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 11/18/12 8:11pm
Msg #443930

Good advice LKT

<<<You have to catch a lot of this during the phone call or you'll waste your time>>>

And gas.
I have learned the hard way early on and now I ask this of every single GNW request.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.