Who do they think they are?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by ToniK on 11/21/12 1:08pm
Msg #444284

I had a call today that went like this:

Caller: Hi, Im XXX and Im calling from XXX. Could you help me out and do a closing in Middleburg today?
Me: Nope, I dont cover Middleburg.
Caller: WHY???
Me: Ummm cuz I dont want to.

Seriously, I wanted to say "well maybe because Im not an employee and I can pick and choose where I want to work and when I want to work." lol But I didnt. At the time I was thrown back by the Why and my initial response was cuz I dont have to. lol

Even though I have done closings in Middleburg. Today I simply didnt want to drive out there.

Reply by hodgy on 11/21/12 1:12pm
Msg #444285

Yes I don't blame you. I always jack up the price significantly if it's far away and it's usually Nations Direct that has these far away signings. I jack up the price and add $20 for fax backs and they say they will put it in for approval and they never call back.

Reply by jba/fl on 11/21/12 1:15pm
Msg #444287

I can go there for $350.

Then, of course, the mumbling about approvals or we aren't getting that much or ......

Bye! Thank you for calling.

Reply by ToniK on 11/21/12 1:24pm
Msg #444288

lol and this company was charging $90. Im not driving to the country with no cell phone or gps service for $90. Plus Im getting paid way more than that doing local signings.

Reply by PJM/MI on 11/23/12 7:26am
Msg #444405

I think this was just a light-hearted posting. Being self-employed, we do get to CHOSE if we want to accept a closing or not.

Reply by Karla/OR on 11/21/12 1:27pm
Msg #444289

LOL!!! (jba) n/m

Reply by Frank/NC on 11/22/12 11:06am
Msg #444363

So tell me, why not just say you are busy rather than giving the smart aleck reply that you don't want to. I've been a member of this forum a considerable amount of time and been self employed my entire life. The complexion of this forum is changing from one where we exchange important business information as well as discuss important issues to one where statements are made that do nothing more than indicate that the persons making them are going to tell their customers what to do and think they are the gift to the Notary world. The truth of the matter is that in many if not most cases, the worst mistakes are being made by notaries and thus, many of the companies are tired of paying for terrible work and poor attitudes. What you indicate in your post Toni is that you are one of the reasons that notaries are not regarded very highly by the Title companies or Signing Services.

Reply by Claudine Osborne on 11/22/12 10:40pm
Msg #444391

I agree with you Fank..The OP didnt sound very professional! Why not just say I dont travel to
that location or Im booked..Her reponse was not called for..If we want to be treated as a professional we need to act professional! No personal attacks just my 2 cents.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.