Notary Rotary
You literal ones will need smelling salts with this
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by Julie/MI on 11/27/12 8:08am
Msg #444709

I'm just proofing a Chase loan I closed at a branch yesterday.

Seems some kind soul filled in the Chase notary evidence form for me (thank you very much!) and where they listed the signature name affidavit they prefilled in Acknowledgment instead of oath. And I'm not changing it Wink and the world won't come to an end!
And the loan will fund, and the interest rate won't expire, and I won't be fined or go to jail Wink

So if the kind reader is a worrying and what-if thinker, be warned on these Chase forms.

Reply by ToniK on 11/27/12 8:10am
Msg #444711

Yes I noticed that. I dont change it either. I just fill in my information and add the page number for DOT and keep it moving.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/27/12 9:35am
Msg #444721

I don't recall - do you have to sign these forms?

I would not sign off on something I didn't do - if the Affidavit has a jurat on it but the prefilled notary evidence form states ack, I would be wanting to change that to reflect exactly what I did so it doesn't come back to bite me later.

But that's just me and JMHO.

Reply by Ali/IL on 11/27/12 9:37am
Msg #444722

Re: I don't recall - do you have to sign these forms?

I would change it too LInda.

Reply by ArtG/KS on 11/27/12 9:55am
Msg #444726

Re: I don't recall - do you have to sign these forms?

To change what is provided as a notarial certificate is UPL and this has been hashed over since 1999. If you feel a change is needed then call your scheduler and or title company and bring it to their attention. UPL can be very costly as a 95,000 dollar fine against a person in my neck-of-the woods found out.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/27/12 9:56am
Msg #444728

You misunderstand Art

Not changing the notary cert on the document - changing the info on the notarial evidence form for Chase -

Reply by ArtG/KS on 11/27/12 9:59am
Msg #444731

Re: You misunderstand Art

"I would not sign off on something I didn't do - if the Affidavit has a jurat on it but the prefilled notary evidence form states ack, I would be wanting to change that to reflect exactly what I did so it doesn't come back to bite me later."

The above was my focus.

Reply by ArtG/KS on 11/27/12 10:02am
Msg #444732

Re: You misunderstand Art

But I understand what you were saying. If its info about us that is incorrect, of course line it and change it and initial it.

Reply by ToniK on 11/27/12 5:23pm
Msg #444793

No these forms dont require signature n/m

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 11/27/12 9:57am
Msg #444729

You are correct, this one would just slip by without issue.

Why would you not change an obvious mistake that references your notarial certificate and then post about it?

I don't think one needs smelling salts to be made aware this one is a no brainer.

Reply by VT_Syrup on 11/27/12 10:25am
Msg #444734

It will slip by without notice unless it develops that a signer signed with a name that he/she is not entitled to use, and which actually belongs to a real person who has some connection to the transaction. Then there will be two conflicting papers, the name affidavit in which the signer swears he/she is one and the same as the person with the name in question, and the notary evidence form which says he/she didn't swear, it was merely an acknowledgement.

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 11/27/12 11:01am
Msg #444735

There could very well be repercussions such as these although the chances are very slim as we all know.

The point I was making was that the correction SHOULD be made not only because of the remote possibity of what you've described but because it is the correct action to take. It is important in any business to pay attention to the details. MHO

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.