Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by Lila VanAcker on 11/5/12 4:04pm
Msg #442261

I had lost my job a couple of weeks ago. I have been a notary for 16 yrs and am considering becoming a mobile signing agent. I live in northern AZ. I'm looking for some start up help. Should I get certified & background checked? Marketing? I do not have alot of money so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Reply by ToniK on 11/5/12 4:18pm
Msg #442265

Orange search button will tell you all you need to know.

Reply by Lila VanAcker on 11/5/12 4:20pm
Msg #442266

where would I find the "orange search button"? Appreciate your response

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 11/5/12 4:32pm
Msg #442268

Lila - read all newbie posts............

Lila - Read as many posts on this website as possible for starters.
Many of your questions will be answered. Take a few hours and read many - to many posts (it will benefit you)
Good luck in your new endeavor,
Stephanie

ps. Since you are already a Notary Public, naturally you will be a Notary Public first.
I understand there is a Notary Signing Agent educational book on this website.
I suggest thay you make that puirchase right away.
I will say though, you will need money to set up your business. (Printer - a laser printer, business cards, copy paper, binder clips, etc.)
With time you can gain a pretty decent education.
Grab a tablet a pencil and start looking at previous posts.
If you have time, that is fantastic. You'll be able to check out previous posts.
Sometimes timw is more of a value; and while you will need funds for supplies and hardware, take the time to read posts on this website.
So, get started and again good luck.
Stephanie
sorry for the typos....

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 11/5/12 4:35pm
Msg #442269

Re: Lila - read all posts............

Lila,
read every single post - you will gain beneficial info from each & every post that you will draw from once your biz is up and running.

Reply by Lila VanAcker on 11/5/12 4:39pm
Msg #442270

Re: Lila - read all newbie posts............

thank you so much for your help. I've got the computer, printer, phone and have already purchased some office supplies as paper, ink, etc. I will read. I guess my main questions is do I need to be certified & background checked, I think, as you said, am checking into the new manual on this site but haven't been able to find anything out about it?

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 11/5/12 4:46pm
Msg #442271

Many of the best Notaries Publics are not "Certified"; you do not need to be certified - it will be helpful to have general knowledge of Loan documents, this is why I suggested the book that is available for purchase on this website.
Because we handle confidential information for each client, many hiring entities do want someone that has been background checked.
It would be helpful to know what state you are located in.
Stephanie

Reply by Lila VanAcker on 11/5/12 4:55pm
Msg #442275

I am in the state of AZ and would like to do this in northern AZ

Reply by bfnotary on 11/5/12 4:49pm
Msg #442272

a lot of companies do require you to be background checked. (not all tho). As far as certified, you do not have to be certified, however I would recommend taking a course, or learning about loan docs, before just jumping in to it. You do not want to start out making errors. If you make errors, that company may never call you again. Just a thought. Good luck getting started. And market to all companies in Signing Central that you can with 4 or 5 stars.

Reply by Lila VanAcker on 11/5/12 4:58pm
Msg #442277

yes, I want to take the course to get familiar with the documents, etc. Was checking into the new manual on this site but cannot find it in "the store". Thanks for your advice!

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 11/5/12 5:00pm
Msg #442278

Re: Lila - look on the LEFT side of this page

Signing Agent Training
Insurance for Notaries
Background Checks
...just to the left of discuss work....

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/5/12 5:03pm
Msg #442279

Lila, if you look to the left of your screen as you're

reading this, at the top you'll see "Signing Agent Training" - click on it and it will take you to the information.

If I may ask, what is your experience? What was your former employment?

Reply by Lila VanAcker on 11/5/12 5:05pm
Msg #442281

Re: Lila, if you look to the left of your screen as you're

been notarized for 16 yrs but really not much experience with "loan documents". I've tried the signing agent training and it just brings me back to Harry's forum, when I go to "in store" nothing comes up regarding the manual?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/5/12 5:09pm
Msg #442282

I see the book in the AZ store but it's Advanced

Signing AGent training -

Lila I sent you a p/m

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 11/5/12 5:11pm
Msg #442284

For CA: Professional Signing Agent Training Manual n/m

Reply by Lila VanAcker on 11/5/12 5:20pm
Msg #442286

Re: I see the book in the AZ store but it's Advanced

am doing as that but just takes me to the store but find nothing about manual only other supplies?

Reply by jba/fl on 11/5/12 5:43pm
Msg #442295

Re: I see the book in the AZ store but it's Advanced

It is at the bottom of the page. It is advanced as the training is for those who want a comprehensive, advanced course of study. It trains you to be more than "just a". It is $95 if you are not a premier member, less if you are a premier member. Membership has its perks.

Please, take some time to familiarize yourself with this site. At the beginning of the forum there is an orange Search button. You will not see it when in the middle of a thread.

Msg #33325 thread is everything you would ever want to know about this business. Start there - work your way through. Some is outdated, but most is pretty well on point. If there is a question, use the orange search button first as it has probably been answered or discussed at some point in time. If you need clarification, then ask in the forum. Much of this is self-study - so make it your mission to learn something every morning while having coffee, then formulate a list of questions to search out, and after lunch post something and join the discussions with your thoughts, etc.

We look forward to those who take the time to do for themselves - we love initiative and self-starting individuals.

Welcome.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/5/12 5:38pm
Msg #442292

Since you've already been a notary for many years you

already know that side of it. As far as certified/bgc, that is something that was mainly marketed by the NNA. I went that route, but now won't give them another dime. They are there to separate you from your money.
There is a new Advanced Training Manual available here on NR, as you already know. NR also has a very affordable background check, and the tab is also now at the upper left on this main page. If you have any problems, you can always call the staff at NR. They're just fantastic & will help you with anything you need. You also probably need to purchase some E&O Insurance.
As far as marketing, you can use Signing Central to contact companies. I suggest only those with at least 3 stars, 4 & 5 being preferable. It will be a question how many do business in Arizona. Also, paying for a premium listing here will give you better placement & also a discount on all your supplies.
Good luck! I don't know if you'll make enough income to make up for the loss of your day job, but I do wish you the best!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/5/12 5:42pm
Msg #442294

Yeah..I just had a thought-thanks for triggering it Marilynn

"I don't know if you'll make enough income to make up for the loss of your day job, "

Something to consider Lila - you may not make enough to make up for the loss of your job but you MAY make enough to impact your unemployment benefits, if any..

Tread carefully.

Reply by dgd/CA on 11/5/12 5:52pm
Msg #442296

Re: newbie... firstly, let me state that as a result of

your background, and based upon your years of experience as a Notary Public, you're somewhere "in between!" Smile

This economy has been froth with devastation to so many. I am so terribly sorry that, after this time, you find yourself in this position. Bless you for striving forward.

So many excellent comments, with regards as to how to further yourself and your business, BTW, all positive, have been posted. But yet, I recognize, you may not be able to accommodate them at this time. Please know, that if you call upon us with a reasonable question with respects to an "actual" loan document signing, we will be here for you. In the very beginning (way back in the day, we must all acknowledge that we felt slight tremors; interpretations, and, yes, insecurities), although we may not have had a resource to go to, we all wished for additional guidance.

Whilst I have never worked with one, that does not mean I fail to recognize the valuable link that Signing Services play in our business. Sign up with as many as is possible on NotRot as you feel comfortable with (please; please, please insure that all have a minimum star rating of 3.5+. At the end of the day, you Must Be Paid). Insure that you are not undervaluing yourself and the service that you provide. Based upon your posting and those that have commented, I would hope that you feel free to P/M those that you feel confident in and admire.

I wish you every good fortune Smile

Reply by Lila VanAcker on 11/5/12 6:01pm
Msg #442297

thank you ALL for your input. I will do the advance manual, when I find it, and if not I will contact them for assistance. I'm sure you will be hearing from me soon. Going out of my comfort zone and never really worked for myself so here goes!!

Reply by Lila VanAcker on 11/5/12 6:09pm
Msg #442298

Ah, finally found it! Although it doesn't say anything about doing an exam or getting certified? I have also read "The Moible Notary Book" by Ryan Edwards which has a great and extensive amount of information. When I spoke with him he said I really didn't need to be certified but was a good learning tool. Has anyone heard of him and his e-book? It sounds as it has everything in it to begin my journey?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 11/5/12 6:14pm
Msg #442300

Lila...click on the tab above marked "home"

You'll come to your home page - click on the mailbox on that - I sent you a private message.

Reply by Clem/CA on 11/5/12 6:40pm
Msg #442302

What is your zip code?

Reply by Lila VanAcker on 11/6/12 10:58am
Msg #442359

Mine is 86046 but I will be doing Flagstaff, 86001 & 86004, Chino Valley, Ash Fork, Williams, Grand Canyon most of northern central to western AZ

Reply by Clem/CA on 11/6/12 1:07pm
Msg #442369

There are 14 notaries listed within a 50 mile radius of that zip. There will be the compatition factor there

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 11/5/12 8:26pm
Msg #442310

Ah . . . Marketing on a shoestring

Lila, I myself have been there, done that. Being business for yourself can get expensive; and if you find yourself in the predicament of having to work a regular job to support your business, then you may risk losing business! So it's a real quandary sometimes (do I focus on a "stable" job? Use the biz as a stepping stone? . . . Put full energy/effort into biz and find success quicker? Will I make enough in profit to be able to put it back into the business? But then how much will I be able to keep for myself?)

These ponderations (yes, I made it up) are worth considering, especially when you're used to a steady flow of income. Some notaries use private networking groups to increase their marketing power; the members make the rules and share the expenses to market. Your real issues at this point will be (1) Understanding loan documents and (2) How/Where to market your services.

If deciding to work with signing companies, please read the posted comments (of the 3-5 star firms) and see if others have had good experiences with them. I have come across not a few 4-star range SS companies with POOR commentary. I'm sure you'll find that part of handling your business is deciding How you prefer to work and WHO you want to work with. You may also find it helpful to join your local business chamber or small business development center.
Go out and meet some people; you never know what contact will lead to what opportunity.

Now, as far as background checks (BGCs) . . . whew, that takes a separate thread on its own (you'll see what I mean as your doing your searching and researchin'). I found a company that says it may be able to give group or volume discounts, so I'll share with NotRot members once they tell me the no. of requesters and other details.

All the best in your new life - on the outside . . .

Reply by PE on 11/6/12 8:31am
Msg #442334

Re: Ah . . . Marketing on a shoestring

Start at McDonalds or BK at least you will get a steady paycheck and not risk some ones mortgage.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/6/12 10:11am
Msg #442352

Why, is that what you do? n/m

Reply by Lila VanAcker on 11/6/12 11:05am
Msg #442362

have thought about doing this until I get done doing my research/classes/etc

Reply by Lila VanAcker on 11/6/12 11:04am
Msg #442361

thank you so much. Well I was laid off last November, found work in May, lost job again this past October and not sure what is going on with unemployment but hope to have good news this week. So my day job isn't an issue and Williams AZ doesn't offer much jobs doing what I do but winter will be here this weekend I was hoping to get all this studying and research out of the way and see what responses I get to calculate if I would be able to live. So I have alot of homework to do which is why I am picking everyones brains that will help and so far all of you have been great in responses!

Reply by MW/VA on 11/6/12 2:40pm
Msg #442392

IMO you don't need to explain to anyone why or how you

chose to get into this biz. You might decide you really like it!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.