Notary Rotary
question for the CA notaries....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by notarydi/CA on 11/8/12 8:40pm
Msg #442701

I have a family friend whose husband passed away recently and she is trying to settle up his affairs. The life insurance company is requiring a notarized affidavit and a certified copy of the death certificate from the county recorder's office. I notarized the form and we attached the c/c of death certificate and sent it off. Now, life insurance company won't accept my notary stamp/seal as it is not "embossed/raised" and that is the only kind of notary seal they will accept. The last time I saw a notary seal in CA that was "embossed/raised" was in 1985. Can you even get a notary seal in CA that is "embossed/raised"? not even sure if I have worded this question correctly......

Reply by LKT/CA on 11/8/12 9:09pm
Msg #442706

An embosser can be used *in addition to* an inked seal but NOT in place of it. That is the law and the insurance company will need to be informed of this. A CA notary can also purchase an embosser but first must write to the SOS office and request an authorization letter that allows them to get an embosser made from an authorized manufacturer.

Not all CA notaries have embossers because it's an additional expense and an embosser is rarely used. However, if you have one, you are set apart from the rest. I do have an embosser and often get the general notary work (GNW) assignments because callers will tell me they've called many notaries and I'm the only one who has one. If the insurance company requires the addition of an embossed seal, they should have informed your friend of this. Since you don't have an embosser, your friend will just have to make calls until she finds a notary who owns an embosser.

Reply by notarydi/CA on 11/8/12 9:15pm
Msg #442708

thank you. that is exactly what I needed to know. will get her steered in the right direction now.......Smile

Reply by JanetK_CA on 11/9/12 1:38am
Msg #442721

Where is this insurance company located? Assuming that it's a US based company, I'd think that they would have to accept what is a legal notarization in this state, but I could be wrong. You might want to try to call the CA SOS to find out if a US-based company can REQUIRE an embossed seal, when it doesn't even meet our state's notary requirements on it's own. I'd be interested to hear what they have to say, if you do so.

Reply by Priscilla Witman on 11/8/12 9:14pm
Msg #442707

Yes.

I have an embosser. The requirement in CA is that the seal be photographically reproducible (sp?) so most only have an ink stamp. I bought an embosser just in case, and I'm actually using it for the first time tomorrow with a gold seal. I also have an inker. Never needed to use it before, though.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 11/8/12 9:15pm
Msg #442709

Sure, you can get embossed seals, but they aren't required by CA law. I have one, and use it often. I find it very handy, and it often lends itself to fairly lucrative assignments because fewer and fewer notaries have them. In fact, tomorrow... another notary from here at NotRot and I are meeting together for just such an appt tomorrow.

Some people who have notarizations done request or desire the raised seal. They are especially requested for documents that go out of the country. Some just like it because it looks more official and is clearly the original when you can feel the raised seal in addition to the seeing the ink. Some just want the reaised seal on plain paper, others want it with a foil seal... I've done foils seals in gold, silver, green, blue and red. You just have to remember that in CA the raised seal is just for "show" really... you still need an inked seal. So if you don't ink your raised seal (I never do that because it looks messy) then you have to use another ink seal with it.

See page 7 of the current CA handbook: "Because of the legal requirement that the seal be photographically reproducible, the rubber stamp seal is almost universal. However, notaries public may use an embosser seal in addition to the rubber stamp."

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 11/8/12 9:51pm
Msg #442711

I agree with Marian, if you are going be notarizing for documents going out of the United State an embosser is very much desired.

I carry one.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.