Notary Rotary
reuising tracking numbers
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to November, 2012 Index

Posted by Roadie_MD on 11/25/12 9:12pm
Msg #444581

I made a post the other day about dropping a UPS package in the Fedex box. I made a call to Fedex about it to look into picking it up at their processing facility. They told me it was a very common occurence and they would just call UPS for a pickup and that it appeared my package had already been picked up...this led me to an interesting discovery.

When I got a quiet moment, I checked the tracking number on the UPS site and found that the package had been delivered several weeks ago. OK--so this can only mean that they are reusing airbills. I received docs the next day for the same title company and I checked the tracking number of the airbill they sent just for kicks. This time, I said it was delivered in 2011! So there is no way to track a package for this company. This is a very large title company operating in several states and I can't believe they do this!

Reply by Gregory/CA on 11/25/12 9:22pm
Msg #444582

I've seen duplicate tracking numbers before, but primarily when it's over a year. The carriers will recycle their numbers so it may not necessarily be the shipper duplicating. Not sure what happened with the more recent shipment though, unless some label was printed, then canceled, but then the original label was still used.

Usually when tracking, both shipments should display to choose the correct one.

Reply by Roadie_MD on 11/25/12 9:24pm
Msg #444583

well that's not very useful for tracking purposes--how are you supposed to know if a package is in transit or not? Or maybe I am just misunderstanding something.

Reply by Gregory/CA on 11/25/12 9:36pm
Msg #444586

When you enter a tracking number that is duplicated, you will not get a results screen. Instead the tracking number will be duplicated on the next screen. From there, you select which one is relevant. Usually by the date listed. This has been my experience. Sorry if I didn't explain it better.

Reply by MW/VA on 11/26/12 7:54am
Msg #444594

I guess that's why UPS is having so many problems &

won't accept pkgs. with 3rd party acct. nos. The place where I take my pkgs. for shipment
scans them, and if the nos. been used it rejects it. I don't see how you can reuse a no.

Reply by CentralNY on 11/26/12 8:33am
Msg #444600

I find it hard to believe they recycle #'s??

i have gotten to prefer fedex in my area for many reasons. the teamster company has a huge attitude.

Reply by MikeC/TX on 11/26/12 1:18pm
Msg #444643

Decoding UPS tracking codes

It's not unusual for UPS to reuse tracking numbers, because only a small section of it changes for any given shipper.

The tracking number is 18 alphanumeric characters:

First 2 are always !Z
Next 6 are the shipper's account number
Next 2 identify the service type - 01 is Next Day Air, 02 is Second Day Air, 03 is Ground
Next 5 are an invoice number if the shipper has one, or may just be randomly generated.
Next 2 are the number of packages shipped (labels generated) in this batch (01 to 99).
Last one is a check digit.

Since it's really only the 4th and 5th group of digits that change for any given shipper, it's possible that a number will be reused at some point (more likely if they only generate a few labels at a time).

Reply by ShipTropolis on 12/7/12 7:28pm
Msg #445847

Ask the Title or Escrow company to sign-up with ShipTropolis.com so you can print UPS and Fedex labels on demand on their account.

1. ShipTropolis.com is secure for the title/escrow company.
2. It's easy for notaries to quickly create labels on demand.
3. It ensures the notary doesn't get wrongfully stuck with the shipping cost.

Disclaimer: I work for ShipTropolis

Cheers,
Bob

Reply by jba/fl on 12/7/12 8:07pm
Msg #445862

Hey, Bob - quit the advertising. Not allowed here.

You have put about 3 or 4 messages and already I'm tired of it. If I want ads, I will go watch tv or something.

I'm reporting you and hope that everyone else does too.

Reply by jba/fl on 12/7/12 8:11pm
Msg #445863

15 messages?!!! Bob - Stop it! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.