Notary Rotary
CA Notary Background Check Question
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2012 Index

Posted by MaggieMae_CA on 10/2/12 6:56pm
Msg #436895

I am in the process of renewing my commission and one of the companies I work for is requeting a new background check. My question is have any CA notaries contacted the DOJ to obtain a copy of the background check performed during their renewal or when they were commissioned.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel and if someone has done it already, I would appreciate their expertise.

Thank you!

Reply by RickG/CA on 10/2/12 8:04pm
Msg #436901

You can get the free one from Lexis/Nexis and submit to the requesting company.

Of course, YMMV. It seemed to satisfy the few companies that I've to whom I've submitted.

Reply by RickG/CA on 10/2/12 8:05pm
Msg #436902

Re: drats, forgot to include the link

http://www.lexisnexis.com/privacy/for-consumers/request-personal-information.aspx

Reply by Priscilla Witman on 10/2/12 8:08pm
Msg #436904

It can't be done that way, only the agency requesting your background will receive the results. You can get a copy of your background if you request it yourself. There is a way to do it if you Google getting a criminal record review done in California.
I'm a live scan service provider in Ridgecrest, and as far as I know, this is the only way you can get a copy of your actual background check results. I've only ever had one request for this kind of live scan. Hope this helps.

Reply by Tom Lamontagne on 1/29/13 5:28pm
Msg #452984

Live scan fingerprinting is required for the background check in order to renew the notary commission. The criminal background report is processed by the DOJ and FBI and sent directly to the SOS. The notary applicant does not receive a copy of the background check. In order to see you personal background record, you need to be live scan fingerprinted again, but this time use the "Request for Live Scan Service" Form BCII 8016 RR. The cost is $25 for the DOJ background report plus the rolling fee. See http://alivescan.com/livescanFingerprinting/livescanForms.html for more information.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.