Notary Rotary
Does anyone not change pens from blue to black when the
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2012 Index

Posted by Carmela Arndt on 10/23/12 4:18pm
Msg #439953

instructions call for signatures in blue and handwritten information in black, example: signature and then writing the date next to the sig.? I will have them fill out forms in black and dates any my name on my Notary certs will be in black. I can't imagine going thru almost 200 pages without messing up. Anyone had any repercussions?
TIA

Reply by Barb25 on 10/23/12 4:24pm
Msg #439955

Is that Title Source? I am trying to remember a TC that I used to do work for where you had to do that. And right, it was a mental nightmare. I don't work with them anymore. I think I was in NY then..

BTW, I did a signing recently where somehow one of the borrowers picked up a black pen in the middle of the signing (somehow/somewhere) and stating signing in black.. Beats me... And worse than that,, I didn't even realize it for a while ( a few docs anyhow) Unbelievable... LOL. Thank goodness for borrowers copies. He was a bad boy....

Reply by ToniK on 10/23/12 6:55pm
Msg #439981

I sign and fill out in one color. I do not switch. Dont recall if there are instructions that I have received on that but I know Im not going to deal with switching colors.

Reply by BrendaTx on 10/23/12 7:31pm
Msg #439995

MAROON ink - No problem in this type of situation.

I will do signings for free during lunch to save my friends at work time and money. I have done about five. People at my work love to use maroon ink because it matches our logos. It looks nice. In two instances I have had signings with the signers charging off signing with their maroon Pentels.

In one situation, one pen was burgundy combined with spouse's black. The notary instructions said blue.

Guess what?! When a notary signing agent isn't involved the title companies and lenders don't pitch a fit. Both of the signings were a normal NSA type signing. The documents went back...no problem.

In one case, the documents have gone back a day late. Guess what!!? No problem.

Not going to name the lenders names, but they are big ones and common with very specific notary instructions. Once the signing agent was out of the equation and the borrowers were signing without having to pay a signing agent, the lender handled everything from there on out.

I thought that was also interesting.

Reply by BrendaTx on 10/23/12 7:32pm
Msg #439997

Re: MAROON ink - Lots of grammar errors. :( sorry n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 10/23/12 7:35pm
Msg #440000

My point was that I wonder sometimes the

purpose of all that fancy ink-swapping and ink requirements...of course, yes, in Michigan it has to be a certain color for recording purposes...but otherwise, SERIOUSLY? Who comes up with these policies?

Reply by Barb25 on 10/23/12 7:54pm
Msg #440017

Re: My point was that I wonder sometimes the

BoA for Landsafe MUST be in Black... Any other BoA that I have ever done... Blue or Black... (Speak only for Florida) An example.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 10/23/12 8:57pm
Msg #440032

Yes, I do, but only get that request from TitleSource.

No biggie for me.

Reply by bfnotary on 10/23/12 9:51pm
Msg #440043

I do what ever the instructions say. It really isn't as hard as it sounds.

Reply by Carmela Arndt on 10/23/12 11:03pm
Msg #440053

Re: It was a Pennymac Loan

Instructions read "Documents must be signed in blue ink, exactly as stated below the signature line, unless otherwise indicated. Use black ink for all hand printed or stamped information." It wasn't too bad, borrower's were good switching to black pens for the dates.

Reply by JPH13/MO on 10/23/12 11:13pm
Msg #440055

For Title Source, I have found that what they mean is whatever YOU put in by hand other than your signature needs to be in black ink, mainly info added to the notary cert such as state and county. They don't care if the borrower dates the few docs that don't have the date already printed in them in blue, and they don't expect the borrower to have to keep switching between black and blue pens.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.