Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
How long before signing appointment should docs be received?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2012 Index

Posted by QDR/Tx on 10/22/12 1:09pm
Msg #439678

I am relatively new to being an independent CNSA, although I have closed loans for many years. I have a signing scheduled for this afternoon with the borrower and sellers and do not have any documents yet to review and prepare for the signing appointment. I haven't had this issue before (not having docs for my appointment) and was just curious what others thought was a reasonable amount of time. I am thinking of backing out because this ss has been very uncommunicative and I need time to get the documents in order to assure no mistakes. I don't think it is the ss fault as they claim they do not yet have docs from the lender/title company to send me yet.

Reply by ToniK on 10/22/12 1:13pm
Msg #439681

Everyones time varies. Too many factors in consideration. If I have nothing scheduled after it, I can do late as 60 mins before. But If I have a full schedule, I hope they get them at least 2 hours before time, if not and I get the docs 30 mins before appt time (which happens often), they go at the end of my other appts or they can find another notary.

If you have to travel far then you would need more time. I keep all my assignments within a 15 mile radius. With traffic and the fact I live near mountains and rural areas, 15 miles can cover alot and alot of traffic as well.

Reply by QDR/Tx on 10/22/12 1:23pm
Msg #439683

Thanks for the information for reference. I had a feeling this situation may be pretty common. This signing was supposed to have occurred last Friday, but it was put off at the last minute. The borrower I had been communicating with was the one that told me it was put off until today. I didn't get a call from the SS until late Friday evening. They upped my fee for the inconvenience, but I haven't heard a peep from them since and becoming a little irritated with now 3 hours until signing.

Reply by ToniK on 10/22/12 1:27pm
Msg #439686

Who is the lender? I usually call the BO and ask if they are flexible with time if the docs should happen to arrive late. I always try to keep the BO informed and sometimes Ill ask the BO if they could contact their LO to see where in the process the docs are and if they can find out an estimate on when docs arrive. I try not to have the BO just sitting waiting around for nothing.

Reply by dutchcloser on 10/22/12 2:03pm
Msg #439700

4PM closing today and still no docs!!! n/m

Reply by Barb25 on 10/22/12 1:54pm
Msg #439696

I think you should have docs so you have time to

look through this package. (This does not mean just print and run to get there on time.) How long that is will depend on how familiar you are with the lender package. If you have worked with this SS/TC/lender alot you can go through this package pretty quickly after printing. If not it may take longer. The last thing you need to do is get there and find out you don't have an RTC, a Note, a whatever, OR a page did not print correctly... BECAUSE when that happens the SS/TC/lender problem has become your problem. I am not saying missing pages are your problem (although misprinted pages could be). Doesn't matter. How are "you" going to get this fixed with them so it can get successfully signed. The phone calls will start, time will be wasted. A mess. You may or may not have someplace else to go. A lot of unnecessary stress. You may or may no recoup your money losses for all of this. It is not fair to you. What is the expression.. To the TC/SS/Lender..Failure for you to plan ahead, does not constitue an emergency on my part.

So my answer would be the time is not fixed but should allow you to do what you feel you need to do your job properly, without errors and risking your life trying to get there on time. I have probably done all of these things at one time of another over the last 12 years. A trooper, a misguided sense of loyalty or whatever. But it is good that you think of all of these things.

All of this of course, is just my opinion. Much success to you

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 10/22/12 2:03pm
Msg #439698

Re: I think you should have docs so you have time to

nothing worse than doing a signing and discovering (somewhere in all that mountain of instruction) that Blue Ink was required! Of course, if you'd signed in blue, then Black would have been required. I even came across very tiny print on title instructions after a signing which said notary seal had to be on same page as borrower signature (well how 'bout sending the docs over to be printed that way?)

Reply by Barb25 on 10/22/12 2:06pm
Msg #439701

Right? I love the "color of ink" instructions in the middle of the package... what's with that? April Fool's...

Reply by ToniK on 10/22/12 2:14pm
Msg #439704

From my understanding thats a State requirement. I do that no matter what. I have my ack and jurat stamps for those docs. Never had a problem.

But I always carry blue pen no matter what.

Reply by Barb25 on 10/22/12 2:45pm
Msg #439712

The State of Virginia determines the color ink for lender documents? Or just recorded docs like DOT? in Virginia? That's interesting. Except for the DOT why would they even know or care?

I know I get requests from certain title companies for different colors (blue/black) for the same lender. When I was in NY, one county comes to mind that would only record the mortgage in black; others in blue or black.

Reply by ToniK on 10/22/12 9:16pm
Msg #439819

No, Va doesnt care what color. Its either blue or black. I meant a State requirement to have your notarial wording and stamp on same page as BO signature.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/23/12 7:13am
Msg #439847

Toni, that is not true! This was a requirement implemented

in July 2007 and rescinded one year later, effective July 2008. The only requirement now is that if the notarial certificate is on a separate page, then the signers names must appear in your notarial certificate. That same page thing was rescinded over 4 years ago.

Reply by QDR/Tx on 10/22/12 2:55pm
Msg #439716

Thanks all, comments and input were very helpful.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.