Notary Rotary
I have a journal question.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2012 Index

Posted by bfnotary on 10/19/12 8:26pm
Msg #439292

When you guys fill in your journals for the id section, Do you put the whole dl # or just a partial? I use the full number and expiration date. Am I doing that wrong? I had a signing with a notary tonight that works at AAA. And she said that is how she used to do it too, then she was told not to use the whole thing. I would think you would use it all? how many licenses in this world could have the same 4 last numbers.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/19/12 8:31pm
Msg #439293

Check your handbook - see what they say about

info to include

I put in mine name as on ID, D.O.B., Type of ID, ID #, issue date and expiration date

Reply by CopperheadVA on 10/19/12 8:34pm
Msg #439295

I write the entire number if it's a drivers license or passport. If it's an older military ID that has social security number as the ID number, then I just write the last four digits. The currently issued military ID's now use a Dept of Defense ID number - I write the entire number on those.

Reply by Gregory/CA on 10/19/12 10:28pm
Msg #439307

I put (for California) CDL Complete Number, Expiration Date, Issue Date, and DOB.

Reply by John Tennant on 10/19/12 10:34pm
Msg #439309

Gregory has it totally correct. n/m

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 10/19/12 11:01pm
Msg #439310

Do confirm with SOS, ID # not allowed in Oregon so perhaps

that is the case in other states.

Reply by Karla/OR on 10/20/12 2:37am
Msg #439328

Re: Do confirm with SOS, ID # not allowed in Oregon so perhaps

I'm with ya Donna~

I enter "ODL Exp. xx/xx/xx."

Can't remember where I read it but putting the entire DL # in the journal was a privacy issue for the BO.

Reply by bfnotary on 10/20/12 7:25am
Msg #439337

Re: Do confirm with SOS, ID # not allowed in Oregon so perhaps

Thanks for all the responses. I will contact my SOS and find out, on Monday. To be sure.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/20/12 8:05am
Msg #439340

From your handbook...page 10

REGISTER

Every notary public must keep and maintain custody and control of an accurate chronological register of all official acts. The register must contain the date of the act, the character or type of the notarial act, the date and the parties to the instrument, and the amount of the
fee collected. Each notarization performed by the notary must be indicated separately.

When required, each notary public must give a certified copy of the register in the notary public's office in its entirety to any person requesting it. Therefore, given that the notary register is a public document, a notary may wish to take care not to include any entries
(particularly, confidential identifying information about the signer, such as Social Security numbers ) in their register that are not explicitly required by the Notary Public Law.

Reply by bfnotary on 10/20/12 1:32pm
Msg #439371

Re: From your handbook...page 10

I did look it up right after I posted this. I also now have it printed out and in my briefcase. Until now, I never really had a question. I knew a lot about being a notary prior to even being commissioned. And since it really doesn't say anything about the dl #, I may just start putting issue and expiration dates, and maybe dob. I will still call SOS and double check with them on Monday. Thanks for all the responses.

Reply by A S Johnson on 10/20/12 8:47am
Msg #439344

A Texas Notary is NOT allowed to enter any information such as ID number, date of birth, expiration date or take a thumb print in thier journal.

Reply by BrendaTx on 10/20/12 8:42pm
Msg #439422

Sid, actually, what the SoS says is...

A notary may not...
Record in the notary’s record book the identification number that was assigned by the governmental agency or by the United States to the signer, grantor or maker and that is set forth on an identification card or passport; or any other number that could be used to identify the signer, grantor or maker of the document. (This does not prohibit a notary from recording a number related to the residence or alleged residence of the signer, grantor or maker of the document or the instrument.)

(And, you are right about the thumbprint.)

Reply by LKT/CA on 10/20/12 8:51am
Msg #439345

The AAA notary is WWWrong

<<<When you guys fill in your journals for the id section, Do you put the whole dl # or just a partial?>>>

From the handbook, page 9: <Words in caps and asterisks for emphasis only and not part of the quote>.

"PAPER IDENTIFICATION, the journal shall contain the type of identifying document, the governmental agency issuing the document, **** the serial or identifying number**** of the document, and the date of issue OR expiration of the document;........"

The word "partial" is absent from that quote. Download a handbook, keep it with you at all times, and refer to IT for guidance.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/notary/forms/notary-handbook-2012.pdf

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/20/12 11:41am
Msg #439356

Lisa, the OP is in PA, not CA n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 10/20/12 12:23pm
Msg #439366

Oops, Foot In Mouth

Wrong state, sorry....my bad.

Reply by BrendaTx on 10/20/12 11:58am
Msg #439362

In Texas, ID numbers cannot be added to the journal.

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/statdoc/edinfo.shtml#List

A notary may not...
Record in the notary’s record book the identification number that was assigned by the governmental agency or by the United States to the signer, grantor or maker and that is set forth on an identification card or passport; or any other number that could be used to identify the signer, grantor or maker of the document. (This does not prohibit a notary from recording a number related to the residence or alleged residence of the signer, grantor or maker of the document or the instrument.)

Gotta love it...Texas doesn't even require the signers to sign the journal.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/20/12 12:13pm
Msg #439364

You know, we're not even required to keep a journal in

FL...but I do record all that info and I'm surprised no one has objected yet. I know if someone wanted to write down my license number in a book I'd be real vocal about voicing my objections to that.

Hindsight being the 20/20 that it is, I think going forward I will no longer record ID numbers...I'll just keep the other info (dob, type of ID, issue date, exp date) -

Reply by BrendaTx on 10/20/12 12:30pm
Msg #439368

Good point, Linda.

Maybe just the first and last #? Or, something? It's kind of hard not to do it...but, we can't. Frown

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.