Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Is there any advantage to using a wand type scanner ...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2012 Index

Posted by HisHughness on 10/29/12 12:51am
Msg #440982

... over just taking ID pix with a smartphone? Woot has a wand scanner on sale for $59, and I'm considering it. Are there applications on the road where a scanner proves useful? I've never encountered one, but then I haven't been looking for them, either.

Reply by ToniK on 10/29/12 7:04am
Msg #440995

I bought a wand scanner off QVC earlier this year and havent used it. I initially bought it for notary work. I use my smartphone to snap a pic of IDs and email directly to hiring party right at table. A wand scanner cant do that (at least not yet). But it can be good if you have to fax back the HUD or something. You can just scan directly at table. Drop docs off while out and when you get back to your office/home you can download to your computer and send the fax.

Or now that I think about it. Ive been asked alot by the BO to have copies of the executed docs vs just blank docs, I could scan those right there and then allow the BO to download to their computer.

But other than that I cant see any other use. Im sure someone will come in and have other suggestions.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 10/29/12 7:39am
Msg #440996

I just had to have one of those wand scanners. I used it many times for taking ID pics and it worked well. Then, I got a smartphone and its easier to use my phone now. I still use my wand when I go to family out of town. I can scan pictures that they have that I want. I keep it in my car for that very purpose.

Reply by jojo_MN on 10/29/12 10:02am
Msg #441020

I like the idea of scanning pictures. There are many times I see family pics that I would like copies of. Thanks for the tip!

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/29/12 3:27pm
Msg #441092

Lately I've been seeing closing instructions that specifically prohibit the notary from emailing borrower documents for security reasons. I don't think I'd want to be in the middle of sending executed copies to a borrower. IMO, that should be left to escrow or the lender.

Reply by jojo_MN on 10/29/12 10:01am
Msg #441019

I initially purchased mine for making copies of drivers licenses; however, since I got my smart phone, I used that instead. I do use it for copying documents that the lender is requiring to be picked up such as a copy of their homeowner's insurance etc. If they have a computer, I can just put my SD card in their computer and print it there, or take it back to my office and print. The wand scanner uses a mini card such as the one in your smart phone. It comes with a carrier so you can use it in your computer. Very easy to use.

Reply by MW/VA on 10/29/12 2:23pm
Msg #441076

Sent you a p/m, Hugh. n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.