Notary Rotary
No Show Husband
Notary Discussion History

No Show Husband
Go Back to October, 2012 Index

Posted by 101livescan on 10/19/12 6:58am
Msg #439154

No Show Husband

Well, turns out, docs are date specific...I just wrote to the scheduler.

That's what I thought. Very rude people. She acted like I had all night to meet with her while she read the documents, then her husband would show up half hour later. Venue she chose to meet me was a busy, noisy pizza joint with lots of children running around.

I'm going to ask you to please reassign this to someone else. Very inconsiderate people.
Thank you, sorry this did not work out. I have a full day. Obviously, they think they are the only people on the planet who are refi'g. It's EOM, I'm busier than you can imagine, working a full day today and tomorrow.

What is your fee to print and copy bvorrower's set, drive to appointment and no sign?

Reply by CentralNY on 10/19/12 7:32am
Msg #439157

I am not in CA but at least half n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/19/12 7:38am
Msg #439158

Print, travel, sit and dicker, end up being

No-sign through no fault of my own and out of my control - full fee.

Reply by Gregory/CA on 10/19/12 7:56am
Msg #439159

I agree with Linda. 100%. n/m

Reply by Yoli/CA on 10/19/12 8:37am
Msg #439160

Absolutely, same as Linda - 100%. n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 10/19/12 10:19am
Msg #439174

For me, it totally depends on the situation - how far I've traveled, how much I've printed, etc. For example, if they scheduled me at the last minuted (<4 hours notice) they are paying a premium for my time no matter what...

Really, they're going to pay for the whole shebang minus the notarized signatures and the tie for singing the papers. After all, that's what they didn't get.

Some of it boils down to managing expectations of the borrowers. You have to tell them right up front, several times what your time frame is for their appointment. I always allow a large window of time and don't overbook, but that's just me. I never, ever use that "I'm a busy person" attitude with people. I hate that because people that do that are so condescending. There's a fine line. NOt saying everyone does this, but I've seen a lot of notaries who do, and it's funny to me.

What I do is I keep it focused on them, remind them that their appointment time is THEIR TIME and MONEY being spent. That their window is from X to X and if it goes beyond that they'll need to call the lender because it could increase their fees. Of course, I usually get permission to tell borrowers this ahead of time...whether it's actually true or not... it works. If they think it will cost them more, they will tow the line pretty quickly. I really try hard not to mention other appointments or obligations anymore unless there's a really good, specific reason for it.

Reply by ananotary on 10/19/12 10:26am
Msg #439176

Marian- That scenario would never work in a highly

Populated are. I undertand that California City and the surrounding areas are more rural and your competition is less than say, Orange County but seriously, your method of doing business would put you out of business in the Orange/Los Angeles market.

Reply by CentralNY on 10/19/12 10:39am
Msg #439179

101 when you get paid for this let us know

what the outcome is. people can opine till the cows come home and then there is that pesky thing called reality.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 10/19/12 10:47am
Msg #439181

Re: Marian- That scenario would never work in a highly

Perhaps.... but I don't think managing a borrower's expectations of the time allotted to them would impact anything. But yeah... even in varying parts of different states, cultural differences are extremely important.

But all the same, I lived in Los Angeles for 5 years. I know exactly what it's like there. I was born and raised in LA County. I've handled loan signings in some of the most upscale neighborhoods of LA, particularly the Calabasas/Hidden Hills, TO area. I still work down there 1-2 times a week - and will be down there this afternoon. And even there, I can not STAND the uppity, "I'm a busy person," attitude. Yeah, I don't care. We're all busy. So what? Important people need toilet paper, too.

That's why I say manage their expectations... make THEIR time about THEM not about YOU. I've found that when you do that, you actually end up finding yourself with more time on your hands because you're more efficient, because people are more compliant. And it means you don't have to pull out the "I've got other places to be" excuse except in the most dire of circumstances.

I guess I learned how to do this while teaching children. You have to constantly remind them (politely) of the time. I find it works really well for me. I'll say something like, "I'm scheduled to be here until 7:30, so we've got 40 minutes left....."

It's a wee bit passive-aggressive at times, but it gets the job done.

And for those times when somebody doesn't show, like Cheryl described? Ugh... and in a noisy place? Double ugh. It takes a lot of deep breathing to stay professional.

Reply by ananotary on 10/19/12 10:52am
Msg #439183

Agree with this part 100% n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.