Notary Rotary
Receipts
Notary Discussion History

Receipts
Go Back to October, 2012 Index

Posted by dexter/nc on 10/28/12 8:41pm
Msg #440958

Receipts

I am a worry wart about non delivery of docs that I ship by UPS and Fedex. So I always make a copy of the airbill and ask for a receipt to attach to the air bill to attached the confirmation. Is that overkill ?

Reply by Cam/CA on 10/28/12 9:01pm
Msg #440959

I think it's a little over board if the client sent the airbill, the receipt has the tracking no. on it. JMHO.

Reply by dexter/nc on 10/28/12 9:02pm
Msg #440961

thanks Cam !

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 10/28/12 9:07pm
Msg #440962

I used to do that too - until my local pack-n-ship

installed an overnight drop slot for our packages. So what I do now is make a copy of the airbill and, if I have any reason to be concerned about delivery I track it online - suits the purpose.

Reply by HisHughness on 10/28/12 9:10pm
Msg #440963

I keep a manilla envelope in the car. When I get a courier receipt, I just drop it in the envelope. If there is a question about whether a package was dropped, it is going to arise within a few days of the dropoff, and all I have to do is fish the receipt out of the bulk package in the car. There doesn't appear to be any need to keep them beyond a week or 10 days, so I periodically switch to an empty envelope and toss the contents of the original envelope several days later.

Reply by Stoli on 10/28/12 10:21pm
Msg #440968

I do the same, Dexter. n/m

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/28/12 10:31pm
Msg #440970

I agree with Hugh. I didn't used to get receipts, but changed my mind and started asking for them based on things I'd read here. I've been getting receipts for a good while now, and they've come in handy at least once. That was when there was a new person at the FedEx office who somehow didn't make sure a package delivered on a Saturday got onto the truck. I think they called it a "miscommunication" between the person at the counter and the truck driver... But since I had a receipt, I wasn't held responsible for a late package.

Reply by Gregory/CA on 10/28/12 10:44pm
Msg #440971

I enter the tracking in my iPhone app for FedEx and UPS

when dropping off. I also have the delivery confirmation emailed to the borrower. I include a message similar to: Thank you for your time <day of week>. Your signed documents have been delivered.

Borrowers seem to love that when I ask if they want the confirmation.

Reply by 101livescan on 10/29/12 8:50am
Msg #441002

Re: I enter the tracking in my iPhone app for FedEx and UPS

That is a great finishing touch, Gregory! Thanks for posting this.

Reply by Karla/OR on 10/29/12 12:51am
Msg #440983

I, too, am a worry wart and keep every piece of paper that has any relationship to the signing. I used to ask for a receipt from FedEx/UPS, but now I just take the air bill from the BO's copy that I print and staple it to the SS's confirmation.

Dexter, I think each of us needs to do what makes us comfortable as far as retention of the tracking number goes.

Reply by Belinda/CA on 10/29/12 1:54am
Msg #440986

Twice I have been accused of not shipping a package back.

Once a doc pkg was 20 days late. Yup. Title was ticked in both cases and I was automatically to blame and in deep doodoo.. Low and behold the lowly notary had a receipt to prove I shipped on time in both cases. Never did hear if FedEx messed up or if someone filed it away in a dumpster. Just know it was not my liability and went on with my life. Thank the Lord for receipts.

When I have to drop at a box of an obscure shipping company I take a picture of dropping it in the box with the date set on the camera. Call me paranoid but call me covered.

Reply by Karla/OR on 10/29/12 3:38am
Msg #440989

Re: Twice I have been accused of not shipping a package back.

OMG!! Thanks Belinda - what a stressful situation that could have been without the receipt!

Just because one has a copy of an air bill/tracking number does not prove the package was actually dropped off! The finger is then pointed directly at you, the notary, to PROVE it was dropped. Good luck with that!!!

The reason for getting a receipt is much clearer now - thanks for the eye-opener!!!

Reply by 101livescan on 10/29/12 8:52am
Msg #441003

Re: Twice I have been accused of not shipping a package back.

I've started doing that too, and I email it to escrow officer as well. They are appreciative.

Reply by MrEd_Ca on 10/29/12 8:59am
Msg #441005

Re: Receipts --- I used to ask for them...

... when I dropped off a document package at either UPS or FedEx. Now I use an Android app. on my smartphone called 'Parcels'. I make sure the counter guy scans the package & within about 10 seconds it shows up on the app showing that the parcel was accepted & is in they're system. It will also tell you when it gets delivered & all the stops in between. It saves having to save the drop off receipt & saves the counter guy from printing out the drop-off receipt, which I have found makes them happier.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.