Notary Rotary
Shredding
Notary Discussion History

Shredding
Go Back to October, 2012 Index

Posted by Karla/WA on 10/19/12 11:34am
Msg #439188

Shredding

I not only have my mobile notary business but am a licensed insurance agent too and work out of my home office. As a result, I handle private information constantly and must comply with all the privacy laws and document destruction.

Some of the title companies request documents be sent to them to be destroyed, but I'm wondering if anyone has hired the "Iron Mountains" of the world for document destruction and how much it is. It's not like I want one of the huge destruction bins in my garage to go along with the garbage and recycle bins.

Any companies you all would recommend?
Thanks for your help.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 10/19/12 11:50am
Msg #439191

Look for someone offering Certified Secure on-site shredding nearby - that's what I do. I use empty paper boxes to stash my shred-ables, and when I've filled a couple boxes I take them in. The place I use actually pulps the paper on the spot, issues a Certificate and charges by the pound. Two full boxes runs me around $30.

Reply by Don Courtney on 10/19/12 12:00pm
Msg #439196

My local Title/Escrow clients all have the large bins and allow me to drop an occasional batch of docs into them. I have a small shredder at home, but for more than 10-20 sheets or so it is
too slow.

Reply by Linker Loan Signings on 10/19/12 12:13pm
Msg #439201

Certified shredding...

Goodwill does shredding and will send you a certified receipt of shredding. Check the Goodwill centers in your area for those that may offer this service.

Reply by CJ on 10/19/12 12:15pm
Msg #439202

Thank you for all this helpful information. :) n/m

Reply by SAmobile/TX on 10/19/12 12:28pm
Msg #439206

Both Office Max and Office Depot do shredding also. They charge by the pound.

Reply by Karla/WA on 10/19/12 12:34pm
Msg #439210

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your feedback.

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 10/19/12 2:44pm
Msg #439228

My local Fedex Office offers the same n/m

Reply by Jessica Ward on 10/19/12 6:40pm
Msg #439280

Pretty sure "pre-shredding" it needs to be locked.

I seem to recall reading in the GLBA compliance docs that pre-shredding needs to be locked.
I store my "shredding to be shredded" in a locking file cabinet, and then box it and take it to "Shred It" in Kent, which is a few minutes from my house.

It's $10 for a file/paper box, and they're pretty lienent on the size of the box. I fill legal-size paper boxes, and they still charge just $10. Office Depot does it too, as does the UPS store, for about $1 a pound.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 10/20/12 1:44am
Msg #439326

I am so cheap...I mean frugal

I fill a couple of empty paper boxes, and a couple of times per year one of the local banks offers it for free.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 10/20/12 5:30am
Msg #439333

GLBA does not require locking

The Act requires "appropriate standards" to "insure the security and confidentiality" of records and information (specific to non-public personal info).

In my own home, I have an office and the only other person with potential access is my husband - so storing documents in a box is appropriate. If I had children or others living here, I would probably deem further security necessary. I also have a dedicated cpu that is off the 'home network' grid, and is not connected to the wireless router.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.