Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
title co. said my stamp is too small...what???
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2012 Index

Posted by lyndie on 10/11/12 5:19pm
Msg #438145

I just got the strangest call from the realtor who called me to notarize a grant deed for his client. He said the title company, Lawyers Title, said the grant deed won't record because my stamp, which is approved by the state of Calif, is too small! I have notarized many loan documents, repeatedly for many title and signing companies, and have never gotten this feedback. Very strange. Could it just be a quirk of this particular title company? I have a standard Calif. notary stamp, and this style is used by so many Ca. notaries. I told him to tell the title company that this is the only stamp I have, and it has worked over and over again. Now really!!

Reply by sigtogo/OR on 10/11/12 5:28pm
Msg #438147

Seriously? you don't know about the stamp control dept?

they have a gal who's sole job is to measure every stamp. all day long, she sits at her desk with her ruler, measuring one doc after another. she probably just didn't read her state chart correctly and was using measurements from a different state. tell em to send it back to the stamp police and ask for a reverification!!

Or, as they suspect you made that stamp yourself and you are not really a notary because you just love doing signings, closings, singings, whatever....

Reply by HisHughness on 10/11/12 5:46pm
Msg #438155

Size does matter, Lyndie n/m

Reply by lyndie on 10/11/12 6:03pm
Msg #438160

Re: Size does matter, Lyndie

LOL!

Reply by rengel/CA on 10/11/12 5:46pm
Msg #438156

Does it fit these parameters? Then it's fine........

(Government Code section 8207)
The seal must:
• Be photographically reproducible when affixed to a document;
• Contain the State Seal and the words “Notary Public”;
• Contain the name of the notary public as shown on the commission;
• Contain the name of the county where the oath of office and notary public bond are on file;
• Contain the expiration date of the notary public’s commission;
• Contain the sequential identification number (commission number) assigned to the notary public, as well as the identification number assigned to the seal manufacturer or vendor; and
• Be circular not over two inches in diameter, or be a rectangular form of not more than one inch in width by two and one-half inches in length, with a serrated or milled edged border.

Reply by rengel/CA on 10/11/12 5:53pm
Msg #438157

and note that it states

... not MORE than one inch in width by two and one-half inches in length. It CAN be smaller, but not larger.
So their compliant is blown out of the water.

My .02

Reply by JanetK_CA on 10/11/12 6:00pm
Msg #438159

Re: and note that it states

Precisely. With my last commission renewal, I finally switched to a smaller size stamp (purchased here) and I wish I had done it much earlier. The smaller stamp has dramatically reduced the number of loose certs that I need to add to docs.

It's probably someone who has never seen a smaller stamp before and is jumping to conclusions.

Reply by lyndie on 10/11/12 6:05pm
Msg #438163

Re: and note that it states

I agree Janet.

Reply by lyndie on 10/11/12 6:04pm
Msg #438161

Re: Does it fit these parameters? Then it's fine........

I have the perfect stamp!

Reply by Barb25 on 10/11/12 6:46pm
Msg #438166

So then you just need to send them the parameters posted

by Rengel.. And tell them to get a life

Reply by VT_Syrup on 10/11/12 7:12pm
Msg #438172

It would be interesting to know what state the document is being recorded in. It would also be interesting to know if someone at the title company just suspects it might not record, if they had the same stamp size as yours be rejected in the past, or if the specific document you sent in was rejected.

Reply by lyndie on 10/11/12 7:31pm
Msg #438181

It was a regular Grant Deed form, with the California ack. Very straight forward, easy, no brainer. I think someone at the title co. had a brain fart.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 10/11/12 7:59pm
Msg #438188

Some people just don't get it...

I had a title company freak out on me one because I used my round, purple stamp on one of their documents, where on the rest of the package I used my rectangular black one.

The reason I did it was because of their poorly formatted document and they left a SQUARE space and my rectangular seal wouldn't fit, whereas my round one would. I didn't need to otherwise attach a loose sheet because the wording correct.

I tell you, this woman was freaking out like I've never heard before. She was quite irate at me over nothing. The document it was on wasn't even one that was going to be recorded anyway (not that that mattered... my seal is legit no matter the color shape or size so long as it fits in the state guidelines. The lender or TC has no say over it. But boy, this lady was having a hissy fit over it, trying to tell me there is no such thing as a round stamp in California, much less a PURPLE one. I finally told her just to call the Sec of State's office and complain to them because I did nothing wrong and they had no right to dictate how I filled out my notarial certificates.

She swore up and down I'd never get work from her office again. Heh, whatever.

They called me 2 days later and gave me three packages. Now, every single time I get work from their office I use my round purple stamp just to tick her off. She refuses to talk to me, it's always somebody else in the office who passes on the work. It's really juvenile. I don't particularly care, and the others in that office have all told me they get a kick out of it.... but for some reason, anytime a notary sends in a package using a stamp other than the usual black rectangle (and apparently there are two others who also use some variation) she just goes ballistic and refuses to communicate with us. Personally, I think they like it. I do not miss working in an office full-time.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 10/13/12 1:00am
Msg #438395

I love love love my round purple stamp

Never have had anybody freak out about it, which kind of surprises me, frankly.

Reply by RickG/CA on 10/11/12 8:03pm
Msg #438192

Did this realtor want you to re-sign/re-stamp the grant deed? Were they asking anything of you or complaining?

Reply by RickG/CA on 10/11/12 8:04pm
Msg #438193

Did this realtor want you to re-sign/re-stamp the grant deed? Were they asking anything of you or complaining?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.