Notary Rotary
Why do notaries no call no show?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2012 Index

Posted by docgirl on 9/15/12 5:51pm
Msg #434556

In the past week there has been a rise in No call no shows, is there a reason for this?

Reply by ToniK on 9/15/12 6:04pm
Msg #434559

I have had two companies tell me not to call the BO per lender requirements when they cannot get the HUD approved. So thats the only time I dont call the BO.

Reply by docgirl on 9/15/12 6:09pm
Msg #434561

I am talking about the ones that call the borrower confirm the signing and just do not answer the phone when it is an hour after the signing was to take place. It confuses me that a professional would do a thing like this. Then call a week later as if the SS would not know that they did not do the signing to get paid for it! I just want to understand what is in the mind of a professional like this.

All comments help us understand

Reply by MikeC/TX on 9/15/12 6:06pm
Msg #434560

Basically, you get what you pay for. A notary who accepts low-ball assignments will have no problem dumping one for another that pays $5 more. A professional who commands a higher fee wouldn't do this.

Reply by CopperheadVA on 9/15/12 6:27pm
Msg #434565

I have to agree with Mike - my guess is that the SS is paying such a low fee that they get a low caliber signing agent.

Reply by PegiT_MN on 9/15/12 6:09pm
Msg #434562

Why does anyone no call no show? There are a lot of irresponsible people in the world and unfortunately some of them just happen to be notaries.

I don't ask "why do notaries no call no show".......I just remind the title companies that they should have called me first for the loan signing because I would never think of not showing up for a signing.

But to answer your question......I would venture to guess that there are some idiot notaries out there are overbooking themselves and then picking and choosing what appointments they want to go out on and are no call no showing for the rest. Hopefully they won't stay in business for too long.

Reply by docgirl on 9/15/12 6:13pm
Msg #434563

I hope that they understand that they are giving the business of mobile notaries a bad rap, just the same as companies that do not pay their notaries give SS a bad rap.

The question really was worded wrong, it should have been what effects a professional to do something this UN-professional?

Reply by PegiT_MN on 9/15/12 6:19pm
Msg #434564

I don't think they are giving the business of mobile notaries a bad rap at all......there are no call no show people in any profession. I was an underwriter at one of the major lenders and there were plenty of no call no show people there. I worked in a restaurant when I was 16 and there were plenty of no call no show people there too.

You should take pride in the fact that you are not one of those people.

Reply by dgd/CA on 9/15/12 6:34pm
Msg #434568

Like... n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/15/12 7:56pm
Msg #434581

Curious docgirl..what company are you? n/m

Reply by Teresa/FL on 9/15/12 9:21pm
Msg #434593

Linda - here you go

Msg #434554

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 9/15/12 9:23pm
Msg #434594

Thanks Teresa...I don't use linear so didn't see it n/m

Reply by SharonMN on 9/16/12 11:35pm
Msg #434687

Sometimes you are only getting someone else's version of the story. For example: "Notary bailed on us" from a signing service often means "We didn't get the docs by the appointment time and notary gave the assignment back rather than wait around all day." Or, one of the lender, the title company, or the borrower could have cancelled the signing and all parties weren't informed (or someone at title company was informed but neglected to enter that info into the tracking system).

Of course, the notary could also have had a heart attack, car accident, been abducted by serial killer at previous appointment, etc. Or, they could have just flaked. Or, they could have been rushing from signing to signing all day and phone battery died, and they'll be at the assignment as soon as possible.

Reply by jba/fl on 9/17/12 10:28am
Msg #434715

I was wondering when someone would speak of "the other side" n/m

Reply by ME/NJ on 9/15/12 7:28pm
Msg #434576

All crazy deals this week CHASE n/m

Reply by ME/NJ on 9/15/12 7:32pm
Msg #434579

Sorry meant to post to one above this one. n/m

Reply by LKT/CA on 9/15/12 8:44pm
Msg #434588

<<<It confuses me that a professional would do a thing like this.>>>

Don't be confused - a professional *wouldn't* do a thing like that, but a hobbyist would. To professionals, this is a business, not a means to fund one's shopping/hobby habits. Professionals don't work for free or at a loss. Their business and reputation are of utmost importance, so they wouldn't be no-calls or no-shows.

But a hobbyist will accept $65 for a reverse mortgage signing or other lowball offers. Whenever it serves them, they will drop a loan signing like a hot potato, with no thought to how the borrowers or the hiring party is affected.

I agree with what Mike posted - you get what you pay for.

Reply by HSH/WA on 9/15/12 9:17pm
Msg #434592

If you and others don't use them again, they will go out of business. Hopefully you will remember the good ones next time and not use the bad ones - even if it means paying a fair price.

Reply by Robert Williams on 9/16/12 10:51am
Msg #434614

I don't know why anyone would do so, but it happens in all professions. Never done it myself, but the simple solution is to not use them again...

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/16/12 5:06pm
Msg #434644

First of all, NOT all notaries do "no call no shows". I agree with the others that, as in all businesses, you will find people who are simply unprofessional. You might also want to ask if there were any other conditions this week that might have contributed to the increase in this type of thing. For example, has there been an increase in docs not being ready in time for scheduled appointments? Have there been more hoops to jump through for those notaries?

I understand that ss and settlement companies these days have a difficult job walking the line between trusting good notaries to do their job and staying on top of things for those who may not. But as I've said before, the more complicated it is for someone to comply with all the extra steps a ss or settlement co requires, the more difficult it becomes for the notary to focus on properly completing the multiple loan signings they need to do to make this a profitable trade.

I'm just grasping at straws here and these things may not apply in your situation, but you asked, so I'm throwing this out there for consideration. It could just be that the wrong person was hired for the job... Again, not all notaries are the same.

Reply by MXC/NY on 9/16/12 5:49pm
Msg #434651

Two months ago I received a call from an SS. The time was 1:15pm. The required appointment time was 2:00pm. I asked where. Based on the location, I advised that it would take at least one hour to get to the destination. The SS responded that the Borrowers already have the documents. I politely said "No." What is happening here? No show!

Reply by 101livescan on 9/16/12 6:00pm
Msg #434656

That's when you apply your EMERGENCY BANDAID fee....borrowers are pissed they've been overlooked. SAVETHEDAY pay.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.