Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
A Question of Priorities - An interesting story.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by Barb25 on 4/11/13 6:57pm
Msg #465381

I am not sure is there is a single point to this story but it is at the very least an unusual and interesting story. It also puts into perspective in fact is a quality issue... I think? Anyhow here it is.

In January my husband refinanced an investment property that he has in NY. There was some miscommunication and the first notary did not show up and later around 10:30 pm a notary came from about 50 miles away to do the closing. As an investment property she had numerous faxbacks. She called to say that my husband did not initial page 4 of the 1003 loan app. He told her to just put his initials on it. That probably would have been fine except that she faxed the initialed page immediately back to them. They realized she could not have made a 100 mile round trip to get the initials in 10 minutes and said no good. Now she had to drive and have it re-signed and initialed. Unbelievable. I told her we would send the page to the title company. She was worried they would see the page was coming from my town instead of hers. Anyhow she came and picked it up. 100 miles. Crazy. End of story. Right? No...

Today a request to sign a new mortgage and have it notarized with a copy of the one originally signed to show the error that needed to be corrected. Apparently the notary acknowledgement was dated January 14 2014 instead of 2013. NOBODY noticed that.... until it went for recording. I guess the initial on page 4 of the loan application was far more important to everyone.

Interesting on the part of the notary. There were two acknowledgements on the page. She completed and notarized both. That was odd. Good thing there wasn't five. Also she put the venue as the county where she lives. Actually she told me she always does that. I told her that night that was incorrect. She told me it didn't matter. Really??? Neither of course would have prevented recording if the date was correct.

Anyhow that was just an aside. I just thought all this ado about an initial and a date that prevented the mortgage from being recorded was completely overlooked. Somebody really needs to define quality issues

Reply by MW/VA on 4/11/13 7:08pm
Msg #465383

These stories are pathetic. We don't wonder why we have

problems getting fees that reflect our professional ability. I'm aware that there are all kinds out here doing this line of work. Sad that she didn't even understand the venue, and didn't even accept your advice when you tried to help her.

Reply by SheilaSJCA on 4/11/13 7:54pm
Msg #465388

I agree

I met a notary today, that closes loans for her husband who is a mortgage broker and she says she also puts her stamp on the page where the signer signs, regardless,even if she is attaching a loose a loose cert! Scary!

Reply by desktopfull on 4/11/13 11:22pm
Msg #465399

AND 30 pages of instructions with marked samples that they

now want proof of printing out by having notary initial and return with package!

Reply by Lee/AR on 4/11/13 8:44pm
Msg #465390

One does have to question their QC priorities when they go nutso about initials but miss the fact that it ain't 2014 yet. As for venue--I've been a notary in 3 states and find that the 'home county as venue' error is quite common nor are they likely to believe that's incorrect because nobody has ever complained--which actually is fairly logical as whoever is on the receiving end of a document really has no idea where anyone was at the time of notarization.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/11/13 9:12pm
Msg #465394

-which actually is fairly logical as whoever is on the receiving end of a document really has no idea where anyone was at the time of notarization.>

Bingo. Who else, besides us and the borrower know where the notarization took place. Once in a blue moon the borrowers meet me somewhere in the middle to get it done, which could be in a different county than the property address. I can totally see where putting your home county in seems like the right thing to do. Can anyone name/find a suit that has been filed because a different venue was put other than where the notarization took place? I'm not going to take the time to look, but I bet there isn't one. I hate correcting the venue on the docs, but always do.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/11/13 11:51pm
Msg #465404

correct o Lee with your "venue" assessment. That is VERY juvenile to say, "but nobody else complains" and yet if they see a county from another state they immediately say to ACK or Jurat is incorrect.

Reply by ToniK on 4/11/13 10:01pm
Msg #465396

Im not surprised at all. Ive spoken to quite a few notaries in my neck of the woods and who have gotten their training from you know who, and they do all kinds of illegal, inappropriate things not to mention have no knowledge of basic notary laws let alone docs....ugh its astounding to me how these people hop in this business and yes the fees are reflecting this.

Reply by Clem/CA on 4/12/13 12:49am
Msg #465407

Chicken Suit

Reply by Frank/NC on 4/12/13 7:29am
Msg #465412

And these are all the reasons that many companies have little if any regard for us. Unfortunately, some of the TC get back hundreds of packages a day with so many errors that they have little or no regard for what we do. They then seem to think of us all as a bunch of misfits. How many times have you called a TC with a problem and they first treat it like you were another incompetent until they find out you really know what you are doing and then change the tone of their voice or maybe even thank you for calling it to their attention?

Reply by MW/VA on 4/12/13 7:54am
Msg #465413

Yes, but it's nice when the borrowers relax & comment that

they're very grateful to have dealt with someone who know what they're doing. :-)

Reply by Barb25 on 4/12/13 7:58am
Msg #465415

A P.S. to my comment. I think I diluted this post

by mentioning the Venue issue and the fact that the notary notarized the same signature two times because there were two acknowledgement blocks on one page accompanying the mortgage.

The important think, I thought was that there was so much craziness over the lack of initials on a page of the 1003 which had the signing service in such an uproar that they made this notary drive 100 miles to correct it. You would think that someone would have the good sense to check the things that really matter. Like a mortgage that will not record because the notary that put in the wrong year in the date she acknowledged it. And it is not found until it is recorded.

Whether or not the notary was good, bad or whatever. It was a mistake. And people make mistakes. This could have been fixed. And this was worth a 100 mile round trip drive. And this is a true quality issue of the first degree. An inital missing, a quality issue, yes. But certainly not the overkill this was given.

Any in this case the borrower, my husband gets $50.00 for resigning, getting it notarized and sending it back by the 19th. How about that. The title company... I don't know what they get.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.