Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Background check---which co. is the best bet?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by CaNotary777 on 4/23/13 12:58pm
Msg #466730

In my quest to get registered with better ( paying) companies, I have found many of then want me to have a background check done. Some suggest Lexisnexis, while more recommend NNA.
Guys tell me WHICH background check is MOST acceptable to these companies which want the Notary's back ground to be checked. Is it the NNA? I dont wnat to pay NNA, and ubsequently a company wants a different.
Do they offer some discount to their members-- how do i go about this. Will appreciate "words of wisdom" without attacks --Thank you in advance Smile

Reply by TamaraCA on 4/23/13 1:13pm
Msg #466736

It has been my experience that some good companies want NNA

but most just ask for a background check with out any preference.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 4/23/13 1:14pm
Msg #466737

You'll find many companies require the XYZ background check. Some say either XYZ or LexisNexis. I believe this is simply due to the marketing XYZ does.

The background check offered by Notary Rotary is thorough and encompasses the required same factors the other 2 do - and, it's reasonably priced. Some companies will accept this one. Sure wish more did. (umm, Harry ... Wink )

As a California notary, we're already background checked by DOJ & FBI prior to being commissioned. You may want to bring that to all those companies' attention. It used to be, most accepted that on its merit.

Reply by CaNotary777 on 4/23/13 1:23pm
Msg #466740

I did fervently request these companies to consider FBI having already background checked me, but they refused tto accept that-- they would still like me to do LN/ NNA background check

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/23/13 1:26pm
Msg #466742

Then do it. IMO if it's going to bring in business

for you, do it. I did the NNA one because one of my favorite companies requires it - I've already made up the cost in the amount of business they've sent me.

I have both NNA and NR - and send both when a BGC is requested.

Reply by CaNotary777 on 4/23/13 1:29pm
Msg #466743

You did a smart thing Linda. I guess i will follow suit :) n/m

Reply by Priscilla Witman on 4/23/13 1:32pm
Msg #466745

If you look at XYZ’s website, you can find everything you need to know about what they charge for background checks and what the discounts are to members. This has been discussed so many times, and so many views have been expressed as to which are preferred. At some point, you have to make your own business decisions. Some companies only want XYZ. Some want LexisNexis. Why not compile a list of which companies ask for which and weigh your options?

In my opinion, nobody is attacking you. At least here in California, it is assumed that by holding a commission in California, one had to have a minimum level of knowledge in order to pass the test. Yes, some people barely know the basics, learn the stuff just to pass the tests, but that should be the exception and not the rule, at least in my opinion. Some things in the codes are ambiguous, I will agree to that. But you might do yourself a big favor instead of posting on the open forum, if you don’t want everyone’s opinion, pretty or ugly. Either do one of two things: Study the handbook/CA Civil Codes/CA Gov’t Codes as they pertain to notaries public more closely for answers, and/or reach out privately to someone you feel you can trust. When you post basic questions on an open forum, you’re going to get varying responses, and some of them are not going to be sugar and spice and everything nice. I think a lot of the responses you’ve gotten over time were more than helpful. At some point, you have to start doing your own research and stand on your own two feet. Trust your own knowledge and make your own business choices. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum, but you have to be willing to research and read and absorb, it's not going to be handed to you on a silver platter.

This is not meant to put you down. It is a candid observation. Kudos to you for seeking out the better companies, and I hope it works out for you. You are going to find that you cannot please all of the people all of the time, no matter what you do, and that includes what background check you choose to have.

Reply by CaNotary777 on 4/24/13 1:02am
Msg #466892

Priscilla I think you forgot to edit your post!

You must have plenty of time, I guess

Reply by Priscilla Witman on 4/24/13 8:33am
Msg #466910

And this response means what, exactly? n/m

Reply by Moneyman/TX on 4/24/13 5:59pm
Msg #466994

It means that CaNotary777 is not worth the time for anyone

... to respond to.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.