Notary Rotary
Better Business Bureau
Notary Discussion History

Better Business Bureau
Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by Sandra G Holland on 4/2/13 9:35pm
Msg #464219

Better Business Bureau

I live in a town near a major U. S. city. We have no BBB but the city does. My area of concentration is understandably here and in more rural areas than in the big city where there are other notaries and other signing agents. I received a call from the BBB asking me to join. The caller said that they had been getting some hits for my name, meaning that people were trying to look me up. Counting my signings only, not my other business, my signings represent two-fifths of the number of look-ups she mentioned. I don't know what to make of that. The BBB would not be my absolute first place to look to find someone's record although it is probably a good one. I'm supposing that the look-ups are from companies with signings and not other sources because I just don't see it as a place a local needing a notary would look. I'm thinking that me not having a membership would not deter some people from contacting me about work. So why do you think I have what she described as an unusual number of hits? I have been a notary for a long time but am relatively new at signing.

Reply by John Tennant on 4/2/13 10:13pm
Msg #464234

Here in San Diego, and throughout California the BBB has been under pressure for "selling" memberships that proved higher ratings than those that do not subscribe. Give it some thought. Do a little research. Forewarned is for-armed.

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 4/2/13 10:52pm
Msg #464241

I'm not sure I understand your comment, John, about selling memberships. Are you saying that I would have been given a false number? That is one thing I suspected.

Reply by John Tennant on 4/2/13 10:54pm
Msg #464243

Yes, that is what was happening in California. I was proven. You could "buy" your A+ rating. In California this has been resolved, however, I do not know about the rest of the nation.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/3/13 10:53am
Msg #464270

The BBB in La recently revamped it's system so you can't provide a written complaint anymore for all to see.
I recently Dec filed in unresolved complaint against the numbers site and it was posted for all to see (I copied it). Then I posted here about harassing phone calls ( certification questions) and members contacted me and I suggested they contact the BBB. Finally I saw the rating drop from A+ to unacceptable, then mysteriously disappear. Next thing I see is a new compliant format.
Yes, rating are bought! IMO

Reply by bagger on 4/3/13 9:40am
Msg #464263

The BBB is notorious for that!
It happens everywhere.

Reply by A S Johnson on 4/3/13 10:24am
Msg #464265

Sandra, Which city is the BBB in that called you.
I see from you Notary commission info on the SOS website you are in Pleasanton TX, about 50 miles south of San Antonio.
I am in Weatherford, TX about 30 miles w of Ft Worth in Parker County. The BBB in Ft Worth has is francised to cover Tarrant and 7 surronding western counties. I will tell you, the DO NOT have a care for you in "podunckville", remember the are very influncal people from North parts of San Antonio. As John and others have posted, they only want your membership money, by the way how much is their membership fee? If the want to part with more of you money they will glady sell you a "A+" rating, no matter who you are. A question, will you be driving into San Antonio for their meeting? Do you think you will have any influnce, that in how they run the San Antonio BBB? Yes ! They can set individual rules for their local operations.
They called you about membership and mentioned a "unusal" number of calls about you, really? Can you not suspect that this was a sales statement?
Any way, wish you luck out their in the 'llano plains'.

Reply by Luckydog on 4/3/13 11:18am
Msg #464279

Doesn't sound legit to me...why would they solicit you? Are you a registered company? Sounds like someone going to steal your identity to me, and posing as the BBB

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.