Notary Rotary
California Franchise Tax Board
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by GF_CA on 4/14/13 12:52pm
Msg #465631

When you prepare taxes should you list all company that provided you with a 1099 with the corresponding amount paid, or do you list a total amount? I have a CPA who prepared my taxes but, for the last 2 years I received a letter from California Franchise Tax Board indicating that I failed to provide all of the required information. My CPA had the information, would the CPA be responsible for initially providing this information to the California Franchise Tax Board?

Reply by kcg on 4/14/13 1:51pm
Msg #465636

My accountant told me that he had to now list every company that sent a 1099...this was something he didn't do in the past.

Reply by sueharke on 4/14/13 1:54pm
Msg #465638

The FTB (Ca Franchise Tax Board) makes a lot of mistakes. It cannot match SSN to names. It cannot match an EIN to a SSN. I suggest taking the letter to your accountant that prepared the tax return and let him or her handle the issue.

To answer your question, the taxpayer is responsible for the content of a tax return, even if prepared by a professional. Read the tax return you receive carefully to make sure there are no error that you can see.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 4/14/13 4:04pm
Msg #465648

I got some bizarre letter once from the FTB ... can't remember exactly what it said, but it was trouble, of course ... anyway, like Sue said, a quick call to the FTB linking my SSN to my EIN cleared up everything. Don't know if that will solve your situation ....

Reply by GF_CA on 4/15/13 1:12am
Msg #465694

My CPA did reply to them but I don’t understand why for two years in a row I had to receive the same letter. Well… I’ll see next year.
Thanks to all of you for the reply.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.