Notary Rotary
Do Not Initial
Notary Discussion History

Do Not Initial
Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by Erwin/CA on 4/20/13 3:04pm
Msg #466456

Do Not Initial

Twice in the last week I did a signing with instructions to not have the borrower's initial even if there are initial lines. Instructions say that if they initial, there will be a resign. Today, I did a Wells Fargo loan signing where the borrower received the docs and called a notary and he played back the voicemail instructions saying do not initial anywhere on the docs. What's up with that? All three sets have docs with initial lines on them. I just think that if they don't want initials, leave off the initial lines.
Erwin

Reply by Ilene C. Seidel on 4/20/13 3:07pm
Msg #466457

I haven't run into this at all in Maryland. Is it possibility a California thing?

Reply by Jack/AL on 4/20/13 3:20pm
Msg #466458

That is even more confusing and frustrating than having several documents that do not have the initial lines, when there are two or three pages of instructions saying we must be certain the borrowers do place their initials on the lines. It gets even sillier when at least one company REQUIRES that we fax back the instructions pages that tell of the requirement, but not fax back the initialed forms. A statement at the bottom of the instruction sheets says that if we do not fax back those sheets, we might cause a delay in our pay or the funding of the loan! Let us hope that we're not as stupid as some company reps think.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/20/13 3:25pm
Msg #466459

That's a classic example of something I've been finding myself repeating lately to give some people an idea of the challenges of what we do: "what one party requires, another prohibits". I guess it keeps this work from getting boring... Wink

Reply by Yoli/CA on 4/20/13 6:45pm
Msg #466486

I've done several Wells Fargo. None with the "do not initial."

Reply by jmor on 4/20/13 6:59pm
Msg #466490

Never in over 7 years have I seen this. Usually, it's "initial, even if no initial line". Can't wait to see this. Will make it easier for me. (and good for the new people who normally miss initials).

Reply by Harris Goldberg on 4/21/13 8:20am
Msg #466510

Here in new york I have come across it. At most signings here there is an attorney present and they would let me know if initials are necessary. When I act as the settlement agent I usually have any and all instructions with the signing docs and follow them.

Reply by SharonMN on 4/22/13 10:18am
Msg #466601

Perhaps that title company likes to swap out corrected pages and it's troublesome if the corrected page is the only one without initials?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.