First American Signature Services
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by KarenVentura on 4/24/13 6:12pm
Msg #466997

I am signing up with this company and they emailed me this:

Also, our base fee is $50 + $25 if email/print, distance can be negotiated prior to accepting the order, and must be reasonable price. Please advise if you agree with our fees?

Vendor Relations

What do I do? Or just change it in the contract to my fee?

Reply by Barb25 on 4/24/13 6:26pm
Msg #467003

Unless that is your fee that is exactly what you need to do. Otherwise you will be negotiating every call. Or be debating the word "distance."

Unless of course you are willing to work under some conditions for $75.00. You need to get the straight up front. Let the game stop now. This of course is my opinion... But get it over with now. It won't get better only worse if you don't.

Good luck. There are many who are not accepting that fee and are getting plenty of work from them. I hope they respond to you. I also know this first hand.

Reply by Elizabeth Donnelly on 4/24/13 6:34pm
Msg #467005

I did not agree with their fee and they call me all of the time and meet my fees. They are a good company Smile

Reply by Resilient/MD on 4/25/13 7:52am
Msg #467092

Several months ago, I received the same fee structure from them.....I negotiated $XXX....needless to say, I HAVEN'T HEARD A PEEP BACK.

Reply by KarenVentura on 4/25/13 10:27am
Msg #467129

Resilient/MD I guess then there are lots of people in my area taking those fees or they would not have asked if I accept them.....I am just outside LA and the traffic and gas costs are very high, actually everything out here is expensive.

Reply by KarenVentura on 4/25/13 10:30am
Msg #467132

I just got this email from them. What should I say?
You stated you were in agreement with our fees however on the enrollment package you have listed your base fee as $100. Please advise as this is significantly higher than our average in the area. Thank you!

Reply by KarenVentura on 4/25/13 11:04am
Msg #467137

This is what they just sent me.

It would be a base fee of $50 plus $25 if email documents were involved for a total of $75 for orders in your immediate area. If distance is involved then you have to negotiate the additional fee with the scheduler prior to accepting the order. Please advise if this is acceptable. Thank you!

I am so struggling here.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 4/25/13 2:51pm
Msg #467168

Karen - I'm probably the last person to advise you on this, but since you're getting no other responses, here goes:

In my book, $100 is minimum. Anything less than that I take personally as a slap in the face and as proof that they're using me and laughing behind my back that I'm just another nitwit notary while they're making $$zillions in profits. Since I've never taken less than $100 (well, I'll admit to $90 a few times bak in the old days, yikes!), I don't agonize (as I sense you're doing a little) over $75 offers. They're just not even on my radar; I don't negotiate; I don't apologize for not taking it; I don't look back; I don't kick myself; I have no regrets.

But only you can set the threshold for you. If this were me, I would firmly and politely tell FASS I'm sorry for the confusion, that I did not mean to indicate I would accept $75; my fee is $100 (or whatever) and I would still love to work with them. Ensure them you and FASS will have a long and happy relationship. Blah Blah Blah. And let the chips fall.

We do read alot that fees are dropping - if this trend were underway when I was starting out as an NSA, I would have reversed course and stayed in the work force or got another job!

I also know plenty of CA notaries who would never dream of accepting $75 (except maybe an in-office job where docs were already printed) who are making very good annual income.

But like I said, only you can decide your business model ... then stick to it and don't worry about it. Also, I should add, during the last two years I had to cut back seriously on the number of calls I was getting. And (with the exception of one San Diego SS), the first chunk I dropped were all $100 SSs cos they were a dime a dozen in my book. So you clearly can do better!

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/25/13 3:40pm
Msg #467172

Wow...LIKE LIKE LIKE...perfect GG! n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.