Notary Discussion History

Here or Politics? From beloved AKA...XYZ
Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by CH2inCA on 4/8/13 7:03pm
Msg #464992

Here or Politics? From beloved AKA...XYZ

Oppose Senate Bill 391 Now Or Pay $75 More To File Your Notary Bond

Dear California Notary,

As part of Senate Bill 391 — the California Homes and Jobs Act of 2013 — Sacramento lawmakers are proposing to charge an additional $75 for recording your notary bond in the offices of county recorder throughout the state.

If SB 391 is enacted, when you or your employer pays to file your notary bond as part of your commissioning or re-commissioning process, you’ll be hit by a new $75 fee on top of the fees currently charged by your county recorder.

Becoming a Notary is costly enough. You are required to take education, pay a commissioning fee, submit a passport photo and fingerprints every time you apply, record your bond and oath of office, and purchase a seal, journal and bond. Every time you renew, you pay these costs all over again.

We need your help. Tomorrow, the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee will meet at 1:30 p.m. to consider SB 391. We are asking you to write Senator Mark DeSaulnier, Chair of the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee, or Senator Ted Gaines, Vice Chair, and let them know that you are opposed to SB 391.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/8/13 7:11pm
Msg #464995

Heh you beat me to it.

It belongs here, IMO because it is work related.

Reply by Yoli/CA on 4/8/13 7:16pm
Msg #464996

Neither ...

Did you read SB391? No where in the text does it even mention notaries. As a matter of fact, it states:

"... a fee of seventy-five dollars ($75) shall be paid at the time of recording of
every real estate instrument, paper, or notice required or permitted
by law to be recorded except those expressly exempted from payment of
recording fees. "Real estate instrument" includes, but is not
limited to, the following documents: deed, grant deed, trustee's
deed, deed of trust, reconveyance, quit claim deed, fictitious deed
of trust, assignment of deed of trust, request for notice of default,
abstract of judgment, subordination agreement, declaration of
homestead, abandonment of homestead, notice of default, release or
discharge, easement, notice of trustee sale, notice of completion,
UCC financing statement, mechanic's lien, maps, and covenants,
conditions, and restrictions."

I did respond to that XYZ email letting them know I was unable to find any reference to notaries filing their bonds and they may want to point me at what I missed or they may want to rescind that email.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/8/13 7:34pm
Msg #465003

Re: Neither ...

I had the EXACT same question... even questioned them about it on their FB page. They responded that it was for *ALL* recordable documents.

Reply by Susan Fischer on 4/9/13 12:04am
Msg #465032

Ah Ha! Except for the Exceptions... My trust factor with

that bunch is, I fully admit, el zippo after a decade of the biz, so their panic is auto-suspect...

Reply by BobbiCT on 4/9/13 6:29am
Msg #465036

"Recorded" or "Filed" with the Clerk

Just a comment: As Marian knows, it is in the 1) definition of the word and 2) intent of the Legislature.

Here in CT our notary commission record, after being sworn in, is FILED with the Town Clerk - not RECORDED. When the "recording" fees are increased, notary commission FILING fees are not included. We have specific text regarding "filing" fees for taking the oath and "filing" with a Town Clerk.

Fear and panic always gets more publicity and generates income than time and expense of checking and verifying facts first.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.