Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
How does this guy charge $100 to notarize??
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by bpn/NY on 4/29/13 4:00pm
Msg #467703

http://m.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/motory_notary_TLzZRPi3M8v3OExZIcUqWI?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Manhattan

Reply by PegiT_MN on 4/29/13 4:07pm
Msg #467705

Because it's Manhattan . n/m

Reply by bagger on 4/29/13 4:09pm
Msg #467709

Re: Because it's Manhattan .

BUT he LIVES in Connecticut!

Reply by Barb25 on 4/29/13 4:18pm
Msg #467713

If you have an office, or job in the state of New York, you may apply for a notary commission. There are many people who live in New Jersey or Connecticut who have a New York State Notary Commission.

Reply by bagger on 4/29/13 4:20pm
Msg #467714

So, parking your car on the Upper East side

constitutes an office?

Reply by bpn/NY on 4/29/13 4:24pm
Msg #467717

I live in NYC NY law only allows us to charge $2 n/m

Reply by MistarellaFL on 4/29/13 4:26pm
Msg #467718

I would think it is the number of notarizations

The article reads:

"Pervez charges $1 for copies and $2 to $100 to notarize forms."

Reply by bpn/NY on 4/29/13 4:30pm
Msg #467719

Re: True,but the wording is a bit misleading n/m

Reply by Barb25 on 4/29/13 4:34pm
Msg #467721

Everything about this is misleading bpn/NY but one thing

after this story... You will probably never have a problem finding a notary in NY again. A new cottage industry may be born.

Reply by SharonMN on 4/29/13 5:38pm
Msg #467735

Re: I would think it is the number of notarizations

Unless this guy is also a lawyer, I hope he is not providing all of the services he mentions! The translation I can see since it sounds like he's qualified. POAs and wills? Verification of documents? No.

“People come at random looking for facilities such as e-mails, verification of documents, translations, power of attorney, wills,” he said.

Reply by Barb25 on 4/29/13 4:31pm
Msg #467720

Of course not... And you know that.

So althought I don't know the answer. I can at this point only assume he has been at least smart enought to get at the minimum, rent desk space somewhere, or has another job somewhere... It probably makes a much better story without the fine points... But I think you know that also Smile

Reply by bpn/NY on 4/29/13 4:45pm
Msg #467725

Re: Of course not... And you know that.

I think I should put up a Notary stand at a busy train station the NY Post will give me a free ad Smile

Reply by Barb25 on 4/29/13 4:54pm
Msg #467728

LOL.. Why not....

If nothing else. Tomorow's news...And maybe a new Reality show...

Reply by jba/fl on 4/29/13 6:31pm
Msg #467743

Not according to the city

While his customers are happy, the city may have a beef.

“A general vendor license is required to sell goods or services in a public space, but such vending is never allowed from a parked vehicle,” said a spokeswoman for the Department of Consumer Affairs."

From the article cited in the original post

Reply by MikeC/TX on 4/29/13 6:21pm
Msg #467741

No, a notary in NY can only charge $2 per signature. I''m not sure what kinds of documents would require 50 notarizations, but I'm pretty sure this article will draw the attention of the NY SOS....

Reply by ToniK on 4/29/13 4:51pm
Msg #467727

Hate the player NOT the game lol

Thats entrepreneurial right there. Unless the State comes in and say "No way you cant do that" he shuts down shop or find another way to do. Obviously he sees a need for that area and the Consulate is advertising for him.

Reply by bpn/NY on 4/29/13 5:02pm
Msg #467729

Re: Hate the player NOT the game lol :) n/m

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 4/29/13 5:11pm
Msg #467731

More power to him.

Smile

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/29/13 5:21pm
Msg #467733

Does this qualify as a place of business for purposes of

a notary commission in NY? Article says he lives in Fairfield, CT ....

Per the January, 2013 New York License Laws:

"Every person appointed as notary public must, at the time of his or her appointment, be a citizen of the United States and either a resident of the State of New York or have an office or place of business in New York State. A notary public who is a resident of the State and who moves out of the state but still maintains a place of business or an office in New York
State does not vacate his or her office as a notary public. A notary public who is a nonresident and who ceases to have an office or place of business in this state, vacates his or her office as a notary public. ..."

http://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/lawbooks/notary.pdf

Does a car constitute an "office"????

Reply by bpn/NY on 4/29/13 5:29pm
Msg #467734

Re: Does this qualify as a place of business for purposes of

Of course not!!! Did the DOS mail his notary license to his "OFFICE"?

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/29/13 5:53pm
Msg #467737

Poor Guy - face plastered in the New York Post

will probably lose his commission and his job.

The down side of advertising without thinking it through first. Smile

Reply by Barb25 on 4/29/13 6:26pm
Msg #467742

Re: Does this qualify as a place of business for purposes of

Probably not this week. But this would and it would be legal.... Msg #467720

All he would need to make it legal would be for someone to rent him desk space in an office or office coop in NY. A good lawyer could handle this one easily.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/29/13 7:15pm
Msg #467749

Well, here's the rub....until he gets a good attorney

to straighten this out for him - anything he did out of his car is probably illegal because he did not qualify for his commission - he did not live or have a place of business in New York. His mistake wasn't in trying to help the people who need the service - his mistake was getting it publicized. Now he's got a problem.

Reply by Barb25 on 4/29/13 7:27pm
Msg #467752

How do you know he did not get his license legally? n/m

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/29/13 7:39pm
Msg #467754

I said commission..not license, and he may very well have

gotten his commission legally, though I'm not sure. According to the article, he worked in NJ and went to the consulates in New York to help people. He lives in Fairfield, CT. NY law reads as follows:

"A notary public who is a resident of the State and who moves out of the state but still maintains a place of business or an office in New York State does not vacate his or her office as a notary public. A notary public who is a nonresident and who ceases to have an office or place of business in this state, vacates his or her office as a notary public"

I think the last sentence is the killer. He may have been dual commissioned through his job in New Jersey (or may not, who knows), but read the last sentence. He is a nonresident and no longer has an office or place of business in NY - his office as NP is vacated. Therefore, it's my belief all his notarizations may well be vacated too if the SOS has the authority to do that. He, technically, was not really a notary.

Just my thoughts.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/29/13 7:40pm
Msg #467755

Just to finish this, NY law also says

"A notary public who is a resident of New York State and moves out of the state and who
does not retain an office or place of business in this State shall vacate his or her office as a notary public"

Reply by Barb25 on 4/30/13 11:10am
Msg #467843

Thank you once again for pointing out NY Notary law. Done. n/m

Reply by Shoshana/AZ on 4/29/13 6:48pm
Msg #467747

There are probably other services he can charge for:

He could charge to ship the docs (courier service). The article said he knows 5 languages. So, maybe he is translating stuff.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.