Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
It's ok to notarize individuals signing as Trustees?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by CaNotary777 on 4/28/13 11:12am
Msg #467507

Going to notarize a bunch of docs --35---where signer(s) will be signing as a Trustee.
Since in CA we notaries are not required to certify the capacity of the signer( whether he/ she is a trustee or Chairman or whoever) I should go ahead and notarize, right? AmI missing anything here? Any thoughts/ opinions will be appreciated.. Thanks Smile

Reply by Stoli on 4/28/13 11:22am
Msg #467509

Yes, you may notarize the documents. Do not include the capacity (trustee) on your certificates. Only enter the name of the person signing the document, as the name appears on their identification. Here is the quote from the current handbook:

Notary Public Handbook 2013
General Information Page 11

"A notary public may complete a certificate of acknowledgment required in another state or jurisdiction
of the United States on documents to be filed in that other state or jurisdiction, provided the form does
not require the notary public to determine or certify that the signer holds a particular representative
capacity or to make other determinations and certifications not allowed by California law."

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/28/13 11:47am
Msg #467512

Giving advice Stoli? Hmmm

If I had said that folks would have jumped all of me for UPL

Reply by Stoli on 4/28/13 12:06pm
Msg #467515

I'm special, Notary Signer! n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/28/13 12:42pm
Msg #467524

Re: I'm special, Notary Signer!

i FORGOT, Sorry for speaking in.......Arrears.... Is that you Raj??

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/28/13 12:43pm
Msg #467525

hit post in error,...Is that you Raj? n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/28/13 2:59pm
Msg #467547

If it isn't Raj, it should be. :) n/m

Reply by CaNotary777 on 4/28/13 7:49pm
Msg #467577

Thank you Stoli for your input. Really appreciate it:) n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/28/13 3:29pm
Msg #467551

uhhhh....

"Since in CA we notaries are not required to certify the capacity of the signer"

No... we're not ALLOWED to. Big difference!!! It's 100% against the law to do it. You only write down the name of the person in front of you. What they "claim" to be is their own thing... we are not allowed to even ask or determine if what they claim is true.

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/28/13 3:58pm
Msg #467553

CaNotary777 - I wish you would have answered my

question about how you like to hear answers to your questions. Since I do not know how you like to be answered, I am going to have to just say it like I would to anyone else.

Without meaning to denigrate, castigate, or be reproachful to you, I vehemently say that is of serious concern to me, and probably many others, that you are asking this question.

A notary must know when he can or cannot notarize a document. It is the most basic of skills; it is fundamental to performance of your notary duties. You cannot be a notary without understanding this. It concerns me that you are asking this question on the heels of asking the question about the poor soul who was so ill.

I suggest in the kindest way possible that you take the free course for CA notaries that is here on NR, and that you do it as soon as possible, and before you perform another single notarization.

Several people seem to know your identity and are concerned that you are doing so many notarizations with so little understanding. You simply must take charge of your lack of knowledge, or I fear you will find yourself explaining to the SOS why you are practicing without understanding and how you passed a notary test without knowing the most basic skills. I assure you that I will not be meddling in California affairs or contacting the SOS, but your peers, and some of the title companies that you are soliciting so frequently may. This is not a slam or meanness...you are posting questions that show a complete lack of understanding.

Thoughtfully,
BrendaTX

Reply by jba/fl on 4/28/13 4:41pm
Msg #467561

Brenda/TX: you just have more time than I. n/m

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/28/13 4:46pm
Msg #467562

Nope...just concerned about this. n/m

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/28/13 6:20pm
Msg #467567

Re: Brenda/TX: you just have more time than I.

He is in a area that sorely needs someone who know what they're doing and yet trusting because of a language barrier.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/28/13 6:52pm
Msg #467569

There are PLENTY in our area...

who know what we're doing. Smile In fact, I can about 5 right off the top of my head. Sadly, there have been a few that have moved away recently, but there are still many left. I'm in an area about 50 miles north, but I still cover the same general area and am there all the time, especially as of late.

Reply by CaNotary777 on 4/28/13 7:51pm
Msg #467578

I am who I am Brenda. My identity is all for myself

I am not accepting what YOU call me.

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/28/13 8:08pm
Msg #467581

If you're a notary in CA, your information is public record.

People here aren't stupid...

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/28/13 8:47pm
Msg #467585

Re-read my post.

I have said enough and more than most will take the time to say.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/28/13 9:13pm
Msg #467586

Re: CaNotary777 - I wish you would have answered my

Right on target, as usual, Brenda. Just one little detail, for the record. The excellent notary classes available here I believe are only offered free to Premier Members. We can't tell if NotaryCA777 is one or not because (s)he isn't linking to his/her profile...

Reply by jba/fl on 4/28/13 9:39pm
Msg #467588

Re: CaNotary666 likes being anonymous. So did Jack theRipper

the Boston Strangler, Green River whatever and so on. I wonder if his/her breath is icy cold steam?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.