Notary Rotary
Message Deleted
Notary Discussion History

Message Deleted
Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by Pascal Wagner on 4/29/13 1:12pm
Msg #467668

Message Deleted

This message has been deleted by a forum moderator.

Reason: Advertising

Reply by LisaWI on 4/29/13 1:38pm
Msg #467671

Re: For notaries who do 50+ signings a month…

Ok......I have to ask how driving mileage can be automatically calculated for you?

I dont do 50+ signings a month, but I keep very good records of the above and I know others who use Quickbooks for their financial records and payments to them......

I have to admit an overall software program that would be tailored to this business would be a good thing.....

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/29/13 1:41pm
Msg #467673

I would not send my confirmations to anyone...has to do with confidentiality and all that.

And once again, isn't this advertising? Just like the last one was? NotRot has a "track your signings" function right here.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/29/13 1:52pm
Msg #467674

That was my first reaction, too, Linda. I'm not shipping out any paperwork for data entry by a third party - let alone an unknown third party!

But if the OP wants to create something valuable, I would love to see a smartphone app where we can plug in our mileage from the odometer at each start & stop point, and have it automatically populate a spreadsheet. It would have to include a place for the business purpose, name of person met with and date - and record not only the total miles traveled, but also keep the actual odometer readings. I believe that would provide all the documentation required by the IRS in case of audit.

Reply by Pascal Wagner on 4/29/13 2:25pm
Msg #467681

Definitely valuable feedback Janet!

I can understand that because of confidentiality you wouldn't want to send the paperwork elsewhere.
Don't know what you meant by "OP" but I've thought about putting together an app of that nature, it's just a matter of evaluating if there would be enough buy in to outweigh the hefty development time and costs.

Thank you for the responses everyone.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/29/13 11:25pm
Msg #467784

After reading Brenda's post below, I should clarify that any borrower info (i.e. name of person met with) would have to be resident in the app - and not stored "in the cloud" without some level of security beyond anything that I'm aware of. Translation = I don't yet know enough about the cloud to trust whatever security measures might already be available. Wink

Reply by Pascal Wagner on 4/29/13 2:33pm
Msg #467686

Knowing that you wouldn't send out your confirmations is good feedback. I need to keep a tally of how many people are and are not comfortable with using that approach.

As for advertising, I have no product to sell nor have I developed anything. You are right in that I would like to build something for notaries but instead of building something that I "think" people need.. I am trying to really understand what would provide real value.

My intent is not to make any enemies and I apologize if I rub off the wrong way. Im just trying to really figure out how I can help you as a notary before investing serious time and money into that kind of business without really understanding my market.

Please accept my apology.
Pascal

Reply by bagger on 4/29/13 2:41pm
Msg #467689

LOL, if that's NOT advertising I sure don't know what is.

Sure does remind me of a 3 AM infomercial.
But wait, there's more.
Call in in the next 10 minutes and I'll double the offer.
You can't live without this!
It's free, just pay $95.00 for shipping and handling!

Reply by Stephanie Santiago on 4/29/13 3:00pm
Msg #467694

Very cute, Richard.... n/m

Reply by Barb25 on 4/29/13 4:44pm
Msg #467724

I don't think it is advertising. There is no product. BUT...

Having said that. There are products aready. And if you were to have a new one the IRS is not happy about one that calculates the approxiate mileage from a map program or the like... They want the REAL numbers.... from two that YOU enter... Or at least that is what you better be telling them.

And that is not Advertising for the IRS... btw.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/29/13 5:56pm
Msg #467738

If I'm reading his post correctly...his questions are

asked so he can DEVELOP a product...so even though there are already products that do this, that's his intention.

His last post was deleted for advertising...so guess NotRot Admin does see it as advertising.

JMO

Reply by Barb25 on 4/29/13 6:35pm
Msg #467745

Well it would seem so... unless he can build a better mouse

trap. If NotRot Admin sees is as advertising, so be it. It is advertising. So be it. To me there is nothing to buy, but hey... I am only a lowly member. Not looking to start a fight.... Using your words which I love btw (and use often) "I don't have a dog in this fight.... Smile

Wherever did that come from?

Smile

Reply by BrendaTx on 4/29/13 7:45pm
Msg #467757

EXACTLY, Linda - not to mention

that a few years ago I was repeated contacted by a guy who wanted me to review his web based invoicing and bookkeeping software that would have been great for notaries, except

1-you had to put in borrower info
2-you had to put in your hiring entity's info

He said he developed it for his mom, but it would have cost notaries about $45 - $100+ per mo. depending on how much business the notary was doing. It was beautiful for his mom, but no notary in her right mind would give that kind of info up to a third party. It was like AnnieMae and that guy who used to plug it...it was not confidential. No way, Jose' !

That's like a lawyer handing over client files without vetting the billing company. And, why do that if you can use a spreadsheet and a invoice template for free?

Reply by WDMD on 4/30/13 4:48am
Msg #467797

Re: EXACTLY, Linda - not to mention

Apparently some notaries are not too concerned about privacy or Gramm-Leach-Bliley. A friends notary at her closing not only did not print out a set of documents for her but emailed from his cell phone the entire package to her unencrypted from the closing location at the public library without permission from her.

Reply by Pascal Wagner on 4/29/13 2:29pm
Msg #467683

Hey Lisa.
As of right now, the milage would be calculated from your home/office location to the address put in for the signing and would be calculated through google maps. I've been looking for feedback to see what other ways might be ideal for calculating this kind of information.

Im looking to see what improvements could be made in the market in terms of software that may help. From a bunch of notaries I've been talking to data entry seems to come up quite often. Im just looking for suggestions on how people would like that problem to be solved. That's why I am asking the question I did above. Does that help?

I really do appreciate the feedback! Thank you.

Reply by Clem/CA on 4/29/13 2:58pm
Msg #467693

Um I run from signing to signing so calculating from the same start point is no good

Reply by JanetK_CA on 4/29/13 6:17pm
Msg #467740

If the mileage was "calculated" based on anything other than actual odometer readings, I wouldn't be interested. It would also have to be a very affordable phone app to catch my interest, as I've already created my own spreadsheets, I just don't have it on my phone and don't drag my laptop with me everywhere. Nor have I found the need yet for an iPad or other similar device.

Reply by bagger on 4/29/13 2:00pm
Msg #467676

Advertising! Reported n/m

Reply by ToniK on 4/29/13 2:00pm
Msg #467677

Nope! I only do admin work on my down week and it only takes about 1-2 hours a month!

Reply by Julie/MI on 4/29/13 2:07pm
Msg #467679

Yes I spend much time on "busy Work" but you cannot teach an old dog new tricks. and the dog's brain is too fried in remembering the passwords for all of my long ins.

Reply by Barb25 on 4/29/13 2:27pm
Msg #467682

Already s/w around for this making notary taxes 123

NOTE. Not advertising.. anything.

Reply by Buddy Young on 4/29/13 3:24pm
Msg #467698

Re: I use a pencil and a piece of paper n/m

Reply by MistarellaFL on 4/29/13 4:20pm
Msg #467715

Here we go again....wasn't one deleted message enuf?

Msg #464328

Reply by LisaWI on 4/30/13 11:04am
Msg #467839

Re: Here we go again....wasn't one deleted message enuf?

Pascal, your idea on how to calculate the mileage will not work for most SA's. There are too many variables that may occur from appt to appt. Such as one stated, going from one appt to another, or maybe you took one way there, but a different route back due to road construction. Now, if you could come up with an app that would help you to log in your start mileage and end mileage and then transport that info to your spreadsheet on your desktop, then it may be useful to some SA's........

Reply by Barb25 on 4/30/13 11:06am
Msg #467841

Nobody can argue with that one Buddy, LOL n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.