Notary Rotary
My first EVER weird DL situation
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by ToniK on 4/3/13 7:50pm
Msg #464348

Get to BO home and he has been in the Navy for over 20 yrs. His TX DL had his picture of him at the age 18 and exp date says "On birth date 1988" This DL was issued in 1966. He said that according to the TX his DL is valid until 60 days after his separation from Military.

I didnt accept this DL. According to the DL it expired in 1988. So I opted to take on the passport.

Now Im really not familiar with that law he says. It could be true it could not be true. Of course BO said "I have refinance with this DL 4 times in the last 3 yrs and no one had any problems with it." Wel that maybe the case BUT I suspect someone did because that is not what he offered me as ID at first. He offered his Military ID and when I asked about his DL, he gave me an explanation before showing it and he didnt want to let me examine it until I asked to look at it further.

Reply by Edward Cooke on 4/3/13 8:00pm
Msg #464349

From the Tx website: Extended to 90 days after discharge or return to state, whichever comes
first

Reply by ToniK on 4/3/13 8:08pm
Msg #464350

Good to know for next time if I ever come across this again.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/3/13 8:52pm
Msg #464355

I took a look at the Tx Dept of Public Safety website and two things stuck out for me.
There is an "out of state renewal package" for people holding a Texas DL in the military that can be downloaded.
There is an automatic extension of the DL UP UNTIL 90 days of honorable discharge or return to the State.

Now how are we supposed to know other states rules regarding this issue? Of course you could have researched it but should we have to do so?

Anyway good post, learn something new everyday.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/3/13 8:55pm
Msg #464356

Aha! for Calif Military personnel it is almost the same

From the Ca DMV HANDBOOK

" If you hold a California driver's license and are stationed outside of the state, you will not be required to renew your license when it expires. According to California law, as long as you call the California DMV at (800) 777-0133 and update your record, you'll be issued a DL 236 card to carry with your California driver's license. This card shows that your license is still valid under California law."

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 4/3/13 8:57pm
Msg #464359

Good research, JD n/m

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/3/13 9:04pm
Msg #464360

Here's the BIG problem with that...

That only extends the DL portion... not their ID.

Take for example, a paper driver license. That lets you drive, but it isn't an ID.

Last year when I renewed my DL and had 6 months of problems getting the ID done, I was still 100% clear to drive, even after the ID expired. They gave me a piece of paper that extended the DL... but it did *NOT* extend the ID. They were actually pretty clear to me at the time, the DMV said I could carry my expired ID with the card, but it was NOT good for identification purposes that rely on the validity dates. Driving privileges are still good, but as far as identification goes for notarization? Not so much... depending on how it's presented. I'm sure there are situations where it works, but not too many.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/3/13 9:06pm
Msg #464361

I think if a DL236 card is issued to stationed military

the DL is still valid ID.

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/3/13 9:09pm
Msg #464362

A current DL is valid ID..and if the state certifies that

the license is still valid and current, then IMO it's still valid ID.

Just my humble Florida opinion.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/3/13 9:09pm
Msg #464363

Re: I think if a DL236 correct different rules for diff

states but disagree Marian because DL is acceptable ID..Here's the info for ALL states

http://www.uscg.mil/d9/D9Legal/Driver_License.pdf

Reply by Marian_in_CA on 4/4/13 1:33am
Msg #464381

Well, I did say that each situation is different... and for military, it makes sense. BUT... I just know what the DMV told me last year when I was dealing with my mess. They said the LICENSE (driving privilege) was good, but I couldn't use it for ID purposes for anything that needed a valid ID such as for notarizations or applying for a passport.

As background, I renewed my DL online and thought all was well. But after 3 months I still hadn't received my new ID card, and when it expired on my birthday I called them up and they said that I needed to come in, in person, and have a new photo taken because my other photo had me wearing glasses. I wear glasses full-time and I feel if my ID shows me without glasses it won't be an accurate depiction. They claimed that federal real ID laws mandated that people couldn't wear glasses. Well, that's not true... and I showed them the federal guidelines on the subject that specifically say we *can* wear glasses.

So I went in and had another photo taken, refusing to remove my glasses. It was rejected, again, in Sacramento, but this time they said it was because there was glare.

So I went in AGAIN and had another photo taken. This time, it went through... and it's a complete joke because I'm not only wearing my glasses, but but there is glare... and the photo they could have used (the one on my previous license) is a much more clear photo... though it doesn't look like me as much anymore because I'd lost a lot of weight.

Anyway, I only mention this because when I was going through all this, they were very clear to tell me that even though my ID expired, I was still okay to drive...I just couldn't use it for ID purposes wherein they require a non-expired ID. They said it was the same as having a plain paper license.

Reply by MistarellaFL on 4/4/13 6:52am
Msg #464383

Ok this is where I get lost. For how many years is a CA license issued?
I thought I read that a CA DL could be used for ID purposes if it was issued in the last 5 years?

Reply by Sandra G Holland on 4/4/13 7:31am
Msg #464385

It sounds to me as if some of these license department people don't know what they are talking about.

Reply by Rose/TX on 4/4/13 1:35pm
Msg #464446

Thank you so much for sharing this information, I had not come across this situation before. I feel I now have additional information to help me if this issue should ever arise.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 4/3/13 10:24pm
Msg #464372

Re: Aha! for Calif Military personnel it is almost the same

"This card shows that your license is still valid under California law."

Hmmm.... if the "card shows your license is still valid..." and doesn't add that it is invalid for ID, then seems to me it would be valid for both driving and ID.

I could probably go another 10 years as a notary and never need to find out, tho.

Reply by GOLDGIRL/CA on 4/3/13 8:56pm
Msg #464357

Hmmmm. ..... very interesting about TX DL. However, it really doesn't matter what Texas says, it's what your state, VA, has to say about ID .... Or were you just posting about the Texas law FYI?

Just wondering how come you didn't accept his military ID? Some, but not all military IDs, don't meet all the ID requirements for CA.

Also, if I had a nickel for every time someone told me ....."I've blah blah blah for years and no notary ever had a problem with it before" I'd be sipping chilled pinot right now on my Cayman Island beach home.... LOL

Reply by CopperheadVA on 4/3/13 9:19pm
Msg #464365

VA notary handbook does not specify that ID has to be current, except if it's a foreign passport. With that said, LENDER requires current ID. If the borrower wants the loan, he/she usually produces something else for me that is current, such as passport or military ID. I have only encountered one active duty person who did not have a passport (he said he had never been stationed overseas).

Reply by NVLSlady/VA on 4/4/13 5:21pm
Msg #464466

CopperheadVa makes important clarification about Lender requiring "current ID."

"Satisfactory evidence of identity" in VA is only specified guideline (foreign passports excepted - as was mentioned)

Reply by MW/VA on 4/4/13 8:00am
Msg #464387

This is not unusual at all. There are many states that

exempt military from expiration of d/l's. I usually note on the ID form that it is a military situation with no expiration. I've never had one kicked back.

Reply by Notarysigner on 4/4/13 2:07pm
Msg #464448

For ToniK and the rest, a curve for some states ..

Current Military I.D. Do Not have a Signature line on it.

Calif code 1185(b) (3) and (4) states .

"A military identification card (some military identification cards do not contain all the
required information and cannot be used as identification if all required information is not
present);"

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.