Notary Rotary
Need your opinions, please.....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by Elizabeth Donnelly on 4/24/13 5:57pm
Msg #466993

I was asked to provide a background check by a title company, and I sent them the results from my NNA check. Their response was " It doesn’t include an educational and credit check report. Which are required fields by our clients. There is a fee of $20 for educational search, and $25 for a credit check report. The fee can be deducted from your next paycheck."

My question is.... I understand a criminal check, but a credit check and educational search?

What are your thoughts..........

Reply by Gregory/CA on 4/24/13 6:02pm
Msg #466995

I would forego this company. I have no idea why a Credit Check and an Education search would be needed. The BGC you provided should be sufficient in and of itself as well as the one here from NR.

May I ask which company is asking for the indepth report?

Reply by Elizabeth Donnelly on 4/24/13 6:18pm
Msg #466999

It is a law firm in New York that pays well, and I may do two closings a month for them. I replied to their request stating that I have already supplied the results from my NNA BGC and I am not willing to spend the additional money to have their BGC done. I also explained that I did not see the need for a credit check, or an educational search.

IMO, I am a signing agent in my late 50's, who supplied a resume stating that I have a HS diploma......do they think I am hiding a college degree somewhere? lol

Reply by Linda_H/FL on 4/24/13 6:04pm
Msg #466996

How good is this company? How much work have they got you lined up for already? Have you checked the company out to make sure they're decent? (Just because they have "Title Company" as part of their name doesn't put a halo around their heads)

I, personally would not do it. They get my NNA BGC, my NotRot BGC, my resume (which includes educational background). They have absolutely no need to do a credit check on me - not to mention the ding your credit takes every time someone checks it.

IMPO that's going too far. I, myself, would not allow it. But that's just me. It's something you have to decide for yourself - exactly what lengths are you willing to go to to work for this company - and I hope it pays off..

Reply by Jessica/FL on 4/24/13 6:18pm
Msg #467000

They need people with good credit....

when they try to take over your identity and social! IMO... I would stay away.

Reply by CarolF/NC on 4/24/13 7:03pm
Msg #467009

LMBO Good one Jessica! n/m

Reply by Elizabeth Donnelly on 4/24/13 6:19pm
Msg #467001

I agree, it is nice to know that others feel the same way Smile

Reply by sueharke on 4/24/13 7:09pm
Msg #467013

They'd have a hard time getting my credit check - I've frozen my credit and will not open it without a really good reason. I understand why the company would ask for a credit check on a job that requires handling money for the company - how do notaries fit this description for the law firm?

Reply by Donna McDaniel on 4/24/13 7:17pm
Msg #467014

Who is extending credit to who? n/m

Reply by Lee/AR on 4/24/13 7:45pm
Msg #467020

Tell 'em to go pound sand--for all reasons above n/m

Reply by Robert522TX on 4/24/13 9:13pm
Msg #467040

Beyond ridiculous....bet they get the fees, or a portion of it.
I'd tell them to lose my number! Smile

Reply by Buddy Young on 4/24/13 9:15pm
Msg #467041

Tell them you need a credit check on them to make sure they pay their bills.

Reply by Linda Juenger on 4/24/13 9:32pm
Msg #467043

Everytime your credit is checked, it is also dinged. No way.

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 4/25/13 7:21am
Msg #467090

I understand the Credit Check - not so much the Educational

Having a current Credit Check is and has been a standard for employees in the industry for as long as I can remember. No, we are NOT "employees" but we have access to the same sensitive data, and it only makes sense to me. Perhaps it wouldn't, had I not been through the mill so many times as an employee. The industry won't hire anyone with unpaid judgments and I've known people who were fired for acquiring them (written policies). Reason - it is claimed that those with desperate financial situations are a higher risk to employer and client alike.

Employee Credit Checks do not 'ding' your score.

Put the shoe on the other foot - if you suffered credit fraud or financial loss due to an employee's dire need for money, and you learned that the employer knew (or failed to learn) of that employee's situation - do you think you would NOT SUE over that, because you feel obtaining a credit report is an invasion of that person's privacy?

Reply by Lee/AR on 4/25/13 10:22am
Msg #467125

I don't understand the Credit Check for our circumstances.

Unlike a Title co--who actually write checks--all we do is collect 'em--usually Cashier Checks already made out to a Title co. How far would we get trying to cash a check made out to a Title Co? And if we somehow actually managed to cash such a check--how long before the police were knocking at our door with silver bracelets in hand?

Title co. employees who have access to checkbooks--understandable. But us???

Reply by ReneeK_MI on 4/25/13 2:29pm
Msg #467164

It's the data, Lee - SS#'s, financial info, etc. n/m

Reply by Elizabeth Donnelly on 4/25/13 9:12am
Msg #467107

I just received a reply to my email from this company

"Good Morning Elizabeth, I understand, and thank you for all of your work and attending our closings on our behalf. We wish you the best of luck. Should our policy change, we will be sure to contact you.

Have a great day,"

Reply by Eve/VA on 4/30/13 1:52pm
Msg #467879

I would have had the same reaction.

I would not have furnished them with my credit reports or educational search. Sounds like they're applying the same requirements to NSAs as they are to employees hired by the firm. They must have their HR person screening notaries. Rolling eyes here.

Strange request and I suspect they will meet resistance from most NSAs and get back to you.

Good decision. I've had my identity stolen so believe me I'm cautious.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.