Notary Rotary
Question for DC/MD notaries
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to April, 2013 Index

Posted by ToniK on 4/5/13 2:24pm
Msg #464601

Caveat: this is not a loan signing. It's focus is GNW.

So I am being requested to have my birth certificate notarized for an IC contract job with the Govt.

I've told them that VA notaries are not allowed to notarize birth certificates but this company keeps requesting I get it notarized before I can start work.

So my dilemma is if I order it directly from DC vital records can they certify/notarize it?

This company is not accepting a copy of my original birth certificate.

Who, what, where do I go to for help on this?

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/5/13 2:36pm
Msg #464604

The copy you get from the vital records dept is a certified copy.
We don't get our original birth certificates, they are kept at the office where vital records are maintained. All we have are certified copies of our birth certificates (which is why we cannot notarize/certify them as they are copies)

Reply by anotaryinva on 4/5/13 3:10pm
Msg #464611

Sylvia is correct, our son was born in DC we needed the same thing...it took a while to get it.

Reply by ToniK on 4/5/13 3:39pm
Msg #464621

Ok but this company won't accept the BC I have. It wants a notary to notarize it and I keep telling them and even printed out the statement to that fact.

I guess I should tell this company I'm no longer interested in the job since no one seems to understand no one can notarize a BC.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 4/5/13 3:52pm
Msg #464628

Ask them if they will pay the penalty or share the jail cell for you performing an illegal notarization.

Reply by anotaryinva on 4/5/13 4:12pm
Msg #464632

Toni, I think they are just confused. The certified copy we received has a little bump, almost as if a crimper seal was used on it. I just looked up the website, they now offer walk in service if you want to drive into NE. Otherwise, send in $23 and you have to provide them a self addressed envelope! Glad my daughter was born in Fairfax.

Reply by anotaryinva on 4/5/13 4:27pm
Msg #464636

Link

http://doh.dc.gov/service/birth-certificates

Reply by anotaryinva on 4/5/13 4:30pm
Msg #464638

Wait you have a copy?

If its a copy from DC and not a photocopy send that, that's what they are looking for. The one we got is glossy, about the size of a business envelope.

Reply by ToniK on 4/5/13 4:42pm
Msg #464639

Re: Wait you have a copy?

I don't think I'd ever send a company my BC. Usually most companies are satisfied with a photocopy. I'm not sending them the actual certified copy I ordered from vitalchek. Definitely WILL NOT make a trip to DC unless I'm getting paid for it. I hate driving or taking public transit in the city. Hence the reason why I live out here in Va. Lol.

Plus they already verified my security clearance, talked with all my references. Verified my employment history with acronym govt agencies. Why would I flub a BC? What possible reason they need this? Can't be for citizenship cuz you have to be a US citizen for the type of clearance I have. Ugh!!!

Reply by LKT/CA on 4/5/13 5:55pm
Msg #464651

Just write a statement

i.e. "This is a certified copy of my birth certificate." Sign and date your statement and have the signature to your **statement** notarized. Attach that......I believe all they care about is the notary stamp.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.